• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Next Iron Chef

PDC

I thought it was pretty bad. First, the rediculous MTV-style editing for the speed challenge almost caused me to turn it off right there. Quit edits, fast pans and tilts, just let me see them do the work!!!

The TC format was annoying but not a total turn-off.

My other problem is that equipment wasn't working. I know you have to deal with adversity, but I just want to see them cook.

Lastly, we only got maybe an edited sentence or two max from the judges on each contestant or dish. It was like a cooking show for people with short attention spans.

I may give it another shot, not sure yet.

I wonder if anyone will mention the Michael Symon and Ruhlman Connection.  It is Michael Symon that hosted Ruhlman in his restaurant for "the soul of a chef" am i right? :unsure:

You are right, plus Symon was on the Cleveland episode of No Reservations with Ruhlman. Can you say "the fix is in"?

I wonder if anyone will mention the Michael Symon and Ruhlman Connection.  It is Michael Symon that hosted Ruhlman in his restaurant for "the soul of a chef" am i right? :unsure:

I believe you are correct. Interesting, though he is probably at least acquainted with most of the chefs in the competition.

You should read the ruhlman.com blog. Discussed thoroughly - MR does know Symon, but it's generally agreed that Michael can be completely impartial - and why.

FWIW, Ruhlman addresses the article that some suspect of revealing the winner in this blog post at ruhlman.com. He says:

i'm not exactly sure what the food network execs are up to, and i am not allowed to offer any additional information directly.  but the article was not an exposé, and so the chefs obviously knew there was an article being written and are forbidden by contract to divulge compromising information let alone offer it to the media.

Don't be so quick to assume, then, that this information necessarily means what you think it means!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

My other problem is that equipment wasn't working.  I know you have to deal with adversity, but I just want to see them cook.

what was up with that?

I guess maybe they shot the CIA segments while the school was shutdown for summer break? Maybe someone just flaked out and forgot to turn on the AC and the freezers in advance?

I'm still watching, though. I think pretty much all of the contestants are at the level where Top Ched candidates are trying to get to in the career. Chef/Owners, and in many cases, with multiple restaurants.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

My other problem is that equipment wasn't working.  I know you have to deal with adversity, but I just want to see them cook.

what was up with that?

What was up with that INDEED?!? I mean, really...obviously all of these chefs have put in their time in some hot kitchens with appliances that don't always cooperate, but at the CIA? If Alton had said "we've messed with a few things to increase the challenge," that might have been a different story. But a fridge that's not cold? Come on. I saw it as bad PR for a very expensive school with an excellent reputation.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

What was up with that INDEED?!?  I mean, really...obviously all of these chefs have put in their time in some hot kitchens with appliances that don't always cooperate, but at the CIA?  If Alton had said "we've messed with a few things to increase the challenge," that might have been a different story.  But a fridge that's not cold?  Come on.  I saw it as bad PR for a very expensive school with an excellent reputation.

From an e-mail from Chris Cosentino (Incanto) to Michael Ruhlman, on Michael's blog, and MR's added remarks to it:

XXXXX

CC:

hey michael,

be sure to tell them the reason we were sweating so much was because they shut the hoods off for audio so the kitchen temp was 132. no bullshit. there was a thermometer in there, dude it was fuckin hot.

MR:

I love that guy. and his tripe was amazing. my favorite of the day was kaysen's squid, he would have beaten besh had his other dessert been stronger. it was hot, as if the liquid creme fraiche and pourable honey didn't convince you. the machines weren't sabotaged. one of the chefs was hospitalized for dehydration after and it's admirable triage didn't try to make a drama out of it.

xxxxxxx

So, no sabotage, no heightened drama - and no negligence. It was TV! Video [nearly] killing the video stars!

Great...so Top Chef sends people to cook in crazy altitude that affects both their bodies and their cooking, and FN can't figure out how to film in a real kitchen w/hoods and AC going? Please. But thanks for that info, Claudia.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Great...so Top Chef sends people to cook in crazy altitude that affects both their bodies and their cooking, and FN can't figure out how to film in a real kitchen w/hoods and AC going?  Please. But thanks for that info, Claudia.

Obviously, FN cared more about audio since they couldn't get all the chefs back in to do overdubs, so both the chefs' physical comfort and well-being, as well as their food, was sacrificed for what Bourdain calls "video gold". "Melting ice cream? Liquidy creme fraiche? Tough breaks, baby. Welcome to show biz." I can just see a FN producer telling the chefs that.

Hey folks, remember, this was filmed at Hyde Park in the summer; IIRC it was pretty hot then. Also, commerical kitchens are hot and typically not air conditioned. Between outside ambiant heat, the heat given off by commerical kitchen equipment, body heat, and physical movement, commercial kitchens can be very, very hot. One of the kitchens in my operation routinely goes over 100* in August and September, even with ventilation and swamp coolers (which are most ineffective in SoCal).

So, wow, if they had to turn off the hoods/ventilation system (which would suck out a lot of the heat) to accommodate the audio portion of the taping then that kitchen was sweltering and probably way worse than it normally would have been.

Refrigeration equipment also has a tendency to get cranky in hot weather. I've had compressors go out and/or units shut down because of the heat. Refrigeration units need air circulation and if no air is circulating, and/or it's just plain hot, stagnent air sitting there, refrigeration units can run warmer than normal. When it's hot, they have to work overtime too, moreso if the refrigeration equipment is older.

Refrigeration equipment also has a tendency to get cranky in hot weather.  I've had compressors go out and/or units shut down because of the heat.  Refrigeration units need air circulation and if no air is circulating, and/or it's just plain hot, stagnent air sitting there, refrigeration units can run warmer than normal.  When it's hot, they have to work overtime too, moreso if the refrigeration equipment is older.

All too true, too true . . . . (sighhh). But I really felt for poor Michael Symon, when he opened up the ice cream maker and slush came out. He did everything right, and yet - :sad:

I actually liked it. I didn't expect to - I usually despise so called reality shows. I liked watching real chefs, with a lot of credibility, instead of a bunch of FOH wannabees, 'gifted' home cooks, evil little cutthroats. So far the chefs, while being totally committed to winning and having very healthy egos, seem to have respect for each other. I like that aspect.

Kim

I actually liked it.  I didn't expect to - I usually despise so called reality shows.  I liked watching real chefs, with a lot of credibility, instead of a bunch of FOH wannabees, 'gifted' home cooks, evil little cutthroats.  So far the chefs, while being totally committed to winning and having very healthy egos, seem to have respect for each other.  I like that aspect.

Kim

I liked how they razzed each other - especially Besh - and acted like they were knocking elbows, etc. Besh is obviously the Wally Schirra of the group - he's definitely "maintaining an even strain."

:cool:

So, no comments about Sunday's edition? I myself didn't watch it, in part because I wasn't too primed to do so by the first episode and in part because I was tired and went to sleep and in part because I figured I'd just read your reactions and learn what I needed to know.

Little help?

So, no comments about Sunday's edition?  I myself didn't watch it, in part because I wasn't too primed to do so by the first episode and in part because I was tired and went to sleep and in part because I figured I'd just read your reactions and learn what I needed to know.

Little help?

The tests were a one bite app and high tech cooking with gums, sous vide and anti-griddles. It was neat to see that all these hotshot chefs knew little about the trendy "laboratory cooking".

Besh did well. The cute blond Jill Something got thrown off of the island :-( and Sanchez revealed an unattractive bit of attitude and an unwillingness to stop when time was called.

May be some testiness brewing twixt Ruhlman and the Bon Appetit editor with the pageboy hair and unshaven face.

I watched it, I continue to be disappointed. The show feels so rushed, very little discussion of the dishes, judges reaction, etc. I can't figure out what takes so long...

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Besh will win.

I don't think he should, but he's the most "telegenic" and knowing the TV biz- that might do it for him.

He's an All American pretty boy.

I wouldn't call him a pretty boy exactly, but I agree with your point. Looking at his competition, he seems to be a cut above in several ways. I almost wonder if he isn't already picked to be the NIC.

Not that I'd suggest that the judges are bought, but rather that by picking the contestants FN could make his win the most probable. A couple contestants are a little short on experience...a couple seem to have a limited palette... Besh might well be the most experienced and well-rounded.

Edited by gfweb (log)

I don't know I don't think you can count Symon out. He's got chops and a bilt in cheering section.

I had a tasting dinner at Besh's August a few months ago. It was THE best meal I have ever had in a restaurant. Ever. I have been around a bit cleb chef places, etc., but this was amazing.

If he wins it is because he can cook. Then again I cannot detract from anyone elses skills. I just want to try thier places as well.

One thing I love about this show is the chef seem to just be enjoying cooking with thier peers/friends. Yes it is a competition, but they seem to enjoy themselves as well.

I would love to be a judge. You know the worst dish is still probably something you never though would taste so good.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Forgot all about this thread.....I've been so busy scouring the web to find one of those "smoking guns".  For TOTALLY legit purposes of course!  :rolleyes:

If you didn't find it, it's HERE.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I watched it, I continue to be disappointed.  The show feels so rushed, very little discussion of the dishes, judges reaction, etc.  I can't figure out what takes so long...

That's my problem with it, there is practically zero critique from the judges shown. One soundbite here or there and that's it.

I'd agree that boring would be a fair assessment based on the one I saw. I don't think I ever got a good enough sense of what was going on during the cooking segment, especially compared to an actual episode of Iron Chef with the bird's eye camera shot and constant commentary. Instead it was simply watching people move around in a kitchen.

The whole show has a feeling of distance for me, distance between me, the viewer, and the goings on in the competition.