• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Hiroyuki - Home-style Japanese cooking

Hiroyuki

Hi Hiroyuki,

A bit late coming in to this, but I just wanted to say that I am SO excited about your blog! You've been at the top of my wish-list of bloggers for a while! :wub:

We have a Daiso here in Vancouver as well - it's 2 floors, and is situated in one of the many Chinese malls in Richmond (a part of the Greater Vancouver area - Richmond is kind of the new Chinatown). At the Richmond Daiso, everything is $2, not $1. I find that Daiso's products are superior to the products we can find at the dollar stores here. And Daiso really does have almost everything you can think of. I even found several different muddlers there! However, the food section (at ours) is not that great (and by that, I mean the snack section).

I get my main supply of Japanese snacks from the Osaka supermarket (which used to be Yaohan), and supplement it with trips to a (mainly) Japanese candy store and 2 konbiniyas.

What Japanese foods would be taboo at breakfast?

I was also wondering: when your children (who seem to be impressively competent) made the cake, did they do it in the countertop oven? Or do you buy the cake layers and assemble them with the filling and frosting and fruit?

Sorry, I should have been more specific. We usually use pre-made sponge cakes. We have used self-made pancakes several times, too.

"Taboo" is such a strong word. Many people avoid greasy foods like tempura and tonkatsu and even meat. Grilled fish is preferred for breakfast because it's so easy to make, while simmered fish is usually for supper.

When I once tried to have leftover gyoza for breakfast, my wife remarked, "How can you eat gyoza for breakfast?"

Edited to add: I know we should bake sponge cakes ourselves, but I really don't want to use that mediocre microwave/oven combo to bake cakes. I'm sure that all the participants in the Japan Forum will agree.

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

I would be interested in learning some of the things that you use the thermos for. I have heard of bringing things to the boil and let them finish cooking in the thermos. Do you do this?

Let me answer your questions later.

Breakfast photos

Ingredient of today's miso soup:

gallery_16375_4570_39029.jpg

Maitake (hen of the woods mushroom) of Yukiguni Maitake.

Yukiguni Maitake is headquartered in my city, Minami-Uonuma (don't try to pronounce it :raz: ) city.

You can learn a lot about maitake from their website.

All my family like mushrooms!

Shusai (main dish) for today's breakfast:

gallery_16375_4570_57868.jpg

Coarsely ground pork sausage. My daughter's favorite. She wants me to make cuts to make them resemble an octopus (four-legged, though). A common trick that Japanese mothers do when making bento.

I had kirizai (natto plus other ingredients) again, without shirasu. Shirasu is a favorite of many childrens (and adults) in Japan. Cod roe is another. I often buy them alternately.

White sesame seeds that I used:

gallery_16375_4570_79487.jpg

Husked type. I didn't know there was such a type until recently.

It's sunny today!

gallery_16375_4570_96135.jpg

It's been raining on and off for two days.

The 6-go rice is gone at last!

gallery_16375_4570_43618.jpg

We use the metric system in Japan, but in certain fields, we still use the traditional units. One go is equivalent to 180 ml and about 140 g.

My breakfast:

gallery_16375_4570_44933.jpg

Like I said previously, I usually wake up between 5:30 and 6:00, but today, I woke at 4!

I usually start cooking at about 6 o'clock, wake my children up at 6:20, but they won't start eating until about 6:50, so I have to start eating alone at about 6:30.

I tell the children to stop eating at 7:15. They brush their teeth and leave home for school at 7:25. More on that later.

Closeup of the sausage:

gallery_16375_4570_13129.jpg

I'll back soon.

Edited to add: I also made iri tamago (something between scrambled eggs and iri tamago, to be exact), seasoned with instant dashi and soy sauce. I never ever sweeten eggs!

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

I've never heard of a Japanese sausage before. Is that a traditional food, or does it reflect Western influence?

I love maitake, although it's hard to find here. How did you prepare it for breakfast?

I've never heard of a Japanese sausage before.  Is that a traditional food, or does it reflect Western influence?

Sausages are definitely a western influenced food but the Japanese probably use them more as an everyday food than you will find in the US, especially breakfast. The most common sausages are a little bit bigger than the cocktail sausages sold in the US. Outside of international supermarkets you will rarely see other sausages, like hot dogs, brats, Italian sausage, etc.

The sauages in Japan thread! :biggrin:

Some of the things japanese can make with sausages

Hiroyuki I really like your breakfasts!

I wish I had the energy in the morning to cook like that. We usually have cereal or toast...

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Sausages are definitely a western influenced food but the Japanese probably use them more as an everyday food than you will find in the US, especially breakfast.

Bento, too! Also common in savory baked buns.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I imagine it's only a matter of time before "dollar stores" drop the single-price policy just as the "dime stores" before them did.

Daiso has already dropped that policy. There are an increasing number of items that are sold for more than 100 yen, so I must be careful.

Obesity is a social problem in Japan, too.

The term metabolic syndrome has become an everyday term.

We do eat meat. I must confess that when I was small, say, 40 years ago, meat was still a kind of "luxury item". We used to eat more fish and other seafood. But now, meat is often less expensive than fish.

The Japanese think of meat in terms of 100 g, not 1 kg.

Very roughly,

beef is at least 168 yen per 100 g. Likewise,

Pork: 78

Chicken thigh: 88

Chicken breast: 48

Hi Hiroyuki,

A bit late coming in to this, but I just wanted to say that I am SO excited about your blog!  You've been at the top of my wish-list of bloggers for a while! :wub:

I had no idea that I was that popular... Thanks you for saying so. :smile:

I would be interested in learning some of the things that you use the thermos for. I have heard of bringing things to the boil and let them finish cooking in the thermos. Do you do this?

I know of that method. Some people cook beans that way, but I haven't tried it yet. (I want my thermos to be always clean.)

Hi, Hiroyuki! I'm continuing to thoroughly enjoy your blog. I have a ton of questions, if you don't mind.

I usually turn them into a paste with mirin, katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes), and kombu.

gallery_16375_4570_72615.jpg

But it's still sour and salty. :wacko:

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with umeboshi besides a small amount stirred into rice. What do you do with the mirin/katsuobushi/kombu/umeboshi paste? Rice ball filling? I would love proportions for this mixture.

At around 10 o'clock, I had a purin (Japanese custard pudding), together with a cup of green tea (natually :biggrin: ).

gallery_16375_4570_49140.jpg

What is the purin like? It looks similar to a packaged flan. Is it egg-based? A little sweet, or a lot? Other flavors?

I had instant ramen, fish sausage, and other leftovers for lunch.

gallery_16375_4570_114844.jpg

Looks tasty. I've seen fish sausage in the market dozens of times, but never bought it. Is this the refrigerated kind? Do you just slice it up into the ramen? Does it need to be cooked? How long does it keep?

I did check the Japanese sausage thread on this, but not much dedicated to fish sausage!

Thanks to any light you can shed on my questions. :smile:

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

I imagine it's only a matter of time before "dollar stores" drop the single-price policy just as the "dime stores" before them did.

Daiso has already dropped that policy. There are an increasing number of items that are sold for more than 100 yen, so I must be careful.

We do eat meat. I must confess that when I was small, say, 40 years ago, meat was still a kind of "luxury item". We used to eat more fish and other seafood. But now, meat is often less expensive than fish.

Very roughly,

Meat prices vary so much here day to day and store to store and the price is always lower if you buy a package that weighs more than 3 pounds..

This past week boneless chicken breast was $1.88 at one store and $4.99 per pound at another in the same town.

Fish is almost always more expensive than "store brand" meat

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I'm curious...why did you choose the hulled sesame seeds? In many western countries, you can only buy hulled seeds - the unhulled seeds are only found in health food shops. I also noticed that hulled seeds have been available here for a few years, but I much prefer the unhulled ones!

Somebody asked about meat prices. Chicken, and then pork seem to be the cheapest protein these days, apart from tofu. Hiroyuki, do you choose meat because your family like it, or because it is cheaper than fish?

Approx. cost of fish and meat for 3 of the meals Hiroyuki has cooked: 360 yen for 3 small pieces of salmon (less then 1/2 slice each piece, so total 1 good slice?), 250 yen for 3 slices of pork (for cutlets), 350 yen for shredded pork (for curry). The average weight of a slice of salmon these days is under 80g, but let's assume the total was about 100g - that makes the salmon nearly 3 times as expensive as the pork, which would be running at $4 or $5 per lb for supermarket specials.

That type of salmon is usually an economical way to buy fish, because the supermarket takes unsold salmon from the day before and pickles it in a miso mix. If you are lucky, you can find saury or sardines for under $1 each, but you must either wait while the supermarket guts them, or do it at home and deal with the mess and garbage too.

Very roughly,

I find it surprising that the price of thigh meat is almost twice that of breasts since in the US it is reverse. We have been eating more dark meat lately because the price of breast meat is almost astronomical. My growm daughter who lives with me has finally conceded that thigh meat is much tastier and juicier

Breast meat is popular because it is considered to be healthier because of the lower fat.

Fish is pretty much a luxury item in our household.

Edited by BarbaraY (log)

Very roughly,

beef is at least 168 yen per 100 g.  Likewise,

Pork:  78

Chicken thigh:  88

Chicken breast:  48

For comparison, with the Australian dollar being roughly equal to the yen at the moment, we pay (per 100g in yen):

Beef: 160 (at least)

Pork: 160

Chicken thigh: 80-120

Chicken breast: 140

There are cheaper cuts of beef and pork but these are for stewing, braising etc and not useful for comparison. The cuts I have quoted on are for those similar to what I used to buy in Japan.

ETA I live in a rural area with a very good quality butcher, however there is no competition, I do not have access to cut price supermarkets etc.

Edited by Cadbury (log)

Chicken breasts are very cheap because they are flavorless and the Japanese don't care for them. I never pay more than 28 yen per 100g and last week I picked up a 2kg pack for 398 yen (4 1/2 lbs for $3.30).

I often tell people the only things that are cheaper in Japan than the US are chicken breasts and cigarettes.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Hiroyuki, I ate at a local soba-ya called Soba Koh tonight in your honor. (Well, truth be told, it's about the 5th time I've been there and I've liked it every time, but I do think you inspired me to go back.) One of the things I love about Japanese food is that it doesn't shrink from the fishy taste, either of fish (as in delicious dashi broth) or seaweed. It's just part of the flavor profile. Of course, I speak from considerable ignorance as a mere casual consumer of some Japanese food. Do I speak the truth?

Michael aka "Pan"

What do you do with the mirin/katsuobushi/kombu/umeboshi paste?  Rice ball filling?  I would love proportions for this mixture.

Yes, rice ball filling. It can also be used as a dressing for daikon salad, for example.

According to my memo

gallery_16375_4570_42871.jpg

2 umeboshi

5g katsuobushi

1 tbsp mirin

2 tbsp dashi

1 tbsp soy sauce

(No kombu in this recipe!)

What is the purin like? It looks similar to a packaged flan. Is it egg-based? A little sweet, or a lot? Other flavors?

Real Japanese purin is made by steaming, but is not very popular because it's kind of hard to make it. We prefer another type of purin, which is set by adding gelatin and cooling. Premade purin mixes like theseare available at any supermarket.

Purin contains eggs, and is sweet. There are other flavors like kabocha (squash) purin.

The one I ate is a premade purin (not mix).

When my children were smaller, I often made purin by heating the following ingredients in the mirowave, very carefully, making sure that it wouldn't boil:

3 eggs

80 g sugar

2 bottles of milk (= 200 x 2 = 400 ml)

Some vanilla

Looks tasty. I've seen fish sausage in the market dozens of times, but never bought it. Is this the refrigerated kind? Do you just slice it up into the ramen? Does it need to be cooked? How long does it keep?

You can keep it at room temperature. I googled and found that it's good for 90 days after manufacture, but actually, it can keep for months.

I just nibbled it by holding in one hand, just like many Japanese males. It requires no cooking, but you can cut it, heat it in a fry pan, with no oil (my preferred sytle), and add some pepper and salt.

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

I'm curious...why did you choose the hulled sesame seeds? In many western countries, you can only buy hulled seeds - the unhulled seeds are only found in health food shops. I also noticed that hulled seeds have been available here for a few years, but I much prefer the unhulled ones!

Oh, I didn't know that. Only hulled ones?

You didn't notice the Japanese 消化吸収バツグン (digested and absorbed well)?

OK, I'll buy the unhulled ones because they are cheaper.

Hiroyuki, do you choose meat because your family like it, or because it is cheaper than fish?

You put fish in your curry?? I usually put pork or chicken in my curry.

My wife can put canned mackerel in her curry!

I think that in general, my family prefer fish to meat. We can get tired of eating meat, meat, meat. Doesn't your husband agree?

Chicken breasts are very cheap because they are flavorless and the Japanese don't care for them. I never pay more than 28 yen per 100g and last week I picked up a 2kg pack for 398 yen (4 1/2 lbs for $3.30).

I often tell people the only things that are cheaper in Japan than the US are chicken breasts and cigarettes.

You are lucky! I was able to get chicken breast for similar prices up until two years ago (when they were on sale), but no more.

Hiroyuki, I ate at a local soba-ya called Soba Koh tonight in your honor. (Well, truth be told, it's about the 5th time I've been there and I've liked it every time, but I do think you inspired me to go back.) One of the things I love about Japanese food is that it doesn't shrink from the fishy taste, either of fish (as in delicious dashi broth) or seaweed. It's just part of the flavor profile. Of course, I speak from considerable ignorance as a mere casual consumer of some Japanese food. Do I speak the truth?

Very hard for me to answer.

First of all, any food can be smelly if handled improperly.

Beef can be beefy, pork can be porky, onion can by onion-y(?), and so on.

I understand that even properly handled fish is described as fishy by people who don't regularly eat fish, right?

Think of ramen, for instance. Most American hate ramen with aromatic, "fishy" broth simply because they think it's fishy.