• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. JoNorvelleWalker

Wine leftovers

Some wine leftovers last for several days. Other wine leftovers are vile by morning. Should you have a full liter left after a fine repast that is one mighty Jeroboam.
  3. Piping in a little late, but finding the thread useful none-the-less. Anyway, having studied in Greece, I'd suggest anyone interested in this recipe go for the Ouzo over the Raki. I'm not really a licorice fan either, but Ouzo at least tastes like licorice, Raki on the other hand... tastes sort of yeasty in my experience. It may be that I didn't have the good stuff, but from what I did have, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone Also, since it's a licorice flavor the recipe calls for you might be able to substitute pastis or sambuca.
  4. JoNorvelleWalker

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

My granddaughter is a Mandarin student and has had three trips to China. It didn't help. At least when I'm with her we don't have to order from the Caucasian menu. But I suspect dim sum does not have much to do with Mandarin.
  5. Today
  6. Rob, When you get the details on Saturday night dinner, could you mention on the FB page as well? I don't check EG as often and don't want to miss signing up for the dinner. Will miss Bullrush on Thursday due to wife's birthday. Thanks. David
  7. Making a few barks to take for the examiners to share this weekend in London, Ontario. This one is lemon and lavender with dried blueberries from Costco.
  8. robirdstx

Dinner 2019

Grilled Boneless Chicken Thighs on Basil Pesto Linguine with Salad
  9. I have a lot of really good cookbooks and I want to use them instead of the internet so I use my Eat Your Books account. It is a fantastic resource and many users make good comments about the recipes.
  10. Okanagancook

Ingredients via Internet

If you can get your hands on some leaf fat from your butcher it is really easy to render fat....put the fat in a food processor to make a paste. Put that into a double boiler...I use my Kitchen Aid metal bowl set over a large pot of simmering water. Let is go most of the. Put it through a fine strainer into sterilized jars and store in fridge and/or freezer. i get pork leaf lard from my butcher...they keep it frozen. Beef leaf lard might require a special order.
  11. ElsieD

Dinner 2019

Like @Okanagancook, I too am Csnadian and tend to mentally translate swede=turnip. You rarely see rutabaga labelled as such around here - they are usually labelled and called turnip. That said, the white ones are also labelled and called turnip. Doesn't make sense, but that is the way it is, at least in these parts. I wonder if your kipflers are what we call fingerlings?
  12. Yesterday
  13. kayb

New house, new kitchen

No, not yet. We've made an offer, but are prepared to go their full asking price if we have to. It's priced in line with the market here. You just always have to see if they have any wiggle room in their pricing, and the house has been on the market for four months, so... But I'm saying it'll take a good 30 days from the time the offer's accepted before we can close, and move-in after that. I'll be well pleased if we can get in by mid-June.
  14. Bernie

Dinner 2019

Kipflers are a particular type of potato, generally smaller and irregular, elongated than normal spuds (potato). They have a more nutty flavor and the because of their shape they have more area of skin for the same mass of actual flesh. Ideal to roast with the skin on. I find kipflers go really well roasted to accompany steak type dishes, particularly where a steak or meaty gravy is involved. Swede in America is probably called a Rutabaga and is different to a turnip. The turnip has yellowish flesh compare to the swedes white and the flavor of the swede is usually somewhat milder than the turnip. Same family I think.The local supermarket sells both and the checkout people mostly don't know the difference.
  15. heidih

Dinner 2019

I usually use eggs but today tuna was calling. Peas are a funny veg from frozen - little burts of sweet and starch. Today with Dijon mustrd, capers, onion and mayo. Low brow water pack tuna On toasted English muffin
  16. IowaDee

New house, new kitchen

I love your new kitchen and have a real case of storage envy! My pet peeve about so many kitchens is the lack of any counter space next to the stove and the refrigerator. You need a landing pad for items there. Yours looks like the designers took that into consideration. We were in a kitchen supply store a while back and the selection of rolling island units was just amazing. So much storage. Do you have a move in date yet?
  17. demiglace

New house, new kitchen

Congrats! 250k won't buy a 1 bedroom apt. where I live. Good health and happiness to you and yours! Enjoy the hell out of that kitchen.
  18. Shelby

Dinner 2019

Sure! I used frozen peas that I ran under water in a strainer. I don't care for canned peas......I suppose you could use them, but I'd think they would be too mushy. After peas were thawed, I threw them in the bowl with small cubes of sharp cheddar cheese, mayo, a pinch of sugar, a splash of vinegar, salt and pepper, thinly sliced or chopped white onion (I like red better, but I didn't have any so white onion had to do). And that's it! I was too lazy that night, but adding diced hard boiled eggs and bacon is really good in there too.
  19. Okanagancook

Food recalls

I always worry about sprouts. Thanks.
  20. Okanagancook

Dinner 2019

Kipflers: potato Swede: turnips Snag: sausage 😉
  21. sartoric

Dinner 2019

I roasted some kipflers with swede, baby carrots and garlic, plus made a broccoli in cheese sauce. Served with a couple of chicken and sage snags, and a fat dollop of hot English mustard.
  22. chromedome

Food recalls

Updated. Now includes Saskatchewan, and possibly national. http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-04-24/eng/1556134617625/1556134619557
  23. blue_dolphin

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

I was lucky enough to have received my dim sum training from Chinese friends. I remember an occasion back in the very early '80s probably, when LA's Chinatown still had more dim sum places than the San Gabriel Valley and the bill was still figured by counting up the plates. A Caucasian couple was seated within earshot and were clearly unfamiliar with the offerings so they asked the server what they were. She lifted the lid from the first stack of steamers on her cart and tilted one so they could see the contents and shouted, "MEAT INSIDE!" She did the same with her next stack, a completely different item, and again loudly intoned, "MEAT INSIDE!" and yes, she said the same thing a third time for her last offering. I can't remember what the items were but I think one was shrimp, one pork and maybe something with chicken. Those diners could certainly have used that field guide!
  24. heidih

Dinner 2019

Appealng as always. Maldive fish flakes sound interesting mixed with the coconut. The coconut is on my shopping list. Will probably just get tiny drried Mexican shrimp as they are cheap and pack some flavor. The rains made the nasturtiumms go wild so I think them an interesting green (+ flower) to treat like that.
  25. From today's BookBub email: "The Ultimate Avocado Cookbook: 50 Modern, Stylish & Delicious Recipes to Feed Your Avocado Addiction" Kindle Edition $1.99US You can use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.
  26. Toliver

Ingredients via Internet

Has anyone purchased beef tallow online? I've been looking at it on Amazon and found some companies brag about no flavoring in the tallow and others brag about the beefy flavor in their product. So it's a little confusing. I hope someone has a trusted online source that's not too pricey.
  27. BeeZee

Lunch 2019

Poke bowl (meh). Ahi tuna over brown rice with cuke, flying fish roe, seaweed, too many onions.
  28. Trays have been given away.
  1. Load more activity