• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. liamsaunt

Dinner 2019

Mini crispy salmon cakes in lettuce cups with nuoc cham and rice
  3. Today
  4. Dushyant yadav

Potato Chips!

i love to eat potato chips especially when it is hot and crispy. If you really want to make a combo then, have hot potato crispy chips with a soft drink and tomato catch... its taste awesome...I always do eat chips with soft drinks even when I m on tour. I take it along with me as a refreshment. I had the best potato chips at Radhey ki haveli in khatu and starts my joyful day.
  5. liuzhou

High quality soy sauce

For dips etc, I am partial to this brand, which has a deeper, more complex flavour than most. but for day to day cooking, I just use a regular popular brand. The other flavours tend to dominate anyway, so I'm not about to use a brand that costs 30 times more!.
  6. slowshooter

High quality soy sauce

I always though that Tamari was high-end soy sauce, because it has a richer flavor.
  7. Kim Shook

Easter Menus

I am very lucky that my MIL offered to do Easter dinner this year. Pretty sure she is doing a ham, some kind of potatoes, asparagus and hot yeast rolls. Not sure about dessert. Jessica is bringing deviled eggs and I'm doing Instant Pot collards (I don't like asparagus). I usually love doing Easter dinner, but this year is tough. Too much going on with my mom's health and financial issues and for some reason Holy Week is kicking my butt this year. Church every night - plus we did the midnight to 1am shift sitting in church tonight (meaning last night, I guess), then I am helping Jessica do chocolate dipped strawberries for serving with champagne after the Easter vigil Saturday night. And it happens to coincide this year with my turn at shopping for supplies for 100 lunches that we take once a month to homeless shelters in town. I'll shop tomorrow, help make lunches Saturday morning and then stay at church to do the strawberries! So, collards only works very well for me this year! 😉
  8. liuzhou

Breakfast 2019

猪肚鸡混搭肉末萝卜干 Pork tripe, chicken offal, dried daikon radish and rice noodles.
  9. Okanagancook

Dinner 2019

OMG I am kneeling with weakened knees. what beautiful pizza it is all about the crust don’t Even care what the topping is
  10. MetsFan5

4 Days in Guilin

You’d be surprised! She loves veggies and meat but certain things she pretends to eat (hides) and asks for more. 🙈 since salt isn’t good for dogs this is all me dreaming of tea oil!
  11. Ann_T

Dinner 2019

Pizza Night. Mushroom and Italian Sausage for Moe and I. and Greek Potato for Matt
  12. Okanagancook

Easter Menus

Wow, now that’s an Easter spread! everything sounds wonderful. we have a grass fed, free range lamb source. The meat is so tender and flavourful we are not keen to do much to it other than salt and pepper so the meat can shine through.
  13. chromedome

Food recalls

Foreign matter (pieces of metal) in Kirkland veggie burgers. Possibly national. http://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-04-18/eng/1555625098697/1555625100775
  14. Too many!!! Someone asked me, how do you know which ones have which recipes to follow? I usually tell them, I don't really copy specific recipes in practice, all of these books I read are really just for ideas, techniques, but I rarely copy a recipe verbatim in practice.
  15. Owtahear

High quality soy sauce

I love a really high quality soy sauce. I can eat my own fingers just by dipping it into. I love trying new soy sauces, small batch, very terroir oriented. But I have to admit, Kikkomen's Low Sodium soy sauce is pretty damn good.
  16. Owtahear

Easter Menus

HamLambpalooza for me this weekend. Baked ham, home made potato salad, and empandas on Saturday. Sunday.......Leg of Lamb. I got one from Pure Bred Lambs (Elysian Fields), this is where the French Laundry gets their lamb will rub with garlic. rosemary, preserved lemons, Served with a mint/carrot top chimichurri. Pommes Anna (I think unless I change) Barbecue Carrots ala Publican Salad with greens, lettuce, artichokes, olives, roasted red peppers and red onions with a homemade vinaigrette and crumbled bleu cheese Ciabatta garlic toast. Lotsa of excellent wines....beer and yes, Lent is over...I will have bourbon!!!
  17. pastrygirl

Cilantro

Funny you say that, I have some green curry simmering on the stove right now. I'm too lazy to make curry paste so I used some jarred Thai Kitchen product. It does not list cilantro on the ingredients, but I will be adding a generous amount to my bowl.
  18. Kim Shook

Dinner 2019

Like @David Ross , I made gougères. But I made them last week so they had gotten a little stale by today. Upscale Squirrel loves Jacques Pepin gougères:
  19. Currently I'm sipping on their strawberry-rhubarb milkshake IPA. I tried a taste of it the other day out of morbid curiosity, and to my surprise I quite liked it. The fruit is definitely perceptible, but it takes a back seat to the hops. I'm not a fan of fruit-infused beers in general, but this one's very good. They do a tour. If you're passing this way, let me know. As I said upthread it's only a few blocks from my door, and I'd be happy to meet.
  20. Duvel

Cilantro

Make Thai green curry paste and freeze in ice cube moulds ...
  21. robirdstx

Dinner 2019

Spicy Pork Tenderloin and Vegetable Stir Fry with Jasmine Rice
  22. heidih

Dinner 2019

Oh my! Checking my AMEX points! Jealous! Frying the curry leaves like sage makes culinary sense
  23. I can't believe how many restaurants have bathroom door locks with "twist the little knob to lock or unlock". If you go to any hardware store, you will see that bathroom door locks always have a pushbutton to lock, and unlock when you turn the knob. But of course the really best thing if you care about your customers is a plain knob with no lock, and a separate airplane bathroom door type lock (except usually they rotate rather than slide) that shows "VACANT" in green or "OCCUPIED" in red. I mean, why not respect your customers, and why make your staff endlessly try the door handle (picking up germs) in order to find out of the bathroom is free?
  24. heidih

Cilantro

I agree with pesto or treat it as the green in a stir fry or soup. the pugenny goes way, It is just a green veg. Same with basil or parsley.
  25. Actually, pre EZtemper I used to temper this by putting in a bowl over another bowl of cold water and stirring until starts to thicken.
  26. lemniscate

Cilantro

I shove a bunch of it in the bottle of an inexpensive silver tequila (Kirkland) and let it steep. Then I make cilantro margaritas with it.
  27. A few finds today, the first slightly higher than the usual sale-price: Pierre Hermé's "Macarons" Kindle Edition $3.99US Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. From the Great British Bake Off 2017, "Liam Charles Cheeky Treats: Includes recipes from the new Liam Bakes TV show on Channel 4" Kindle Edition $.99US Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. Lucas Neill's "Jewish Cookbook 365: Take A Tasty Tour Of Jewish With 365 Best Jewish Recipes! (Jewish Holiday Cookbook, Best Jewish Cookbook, Jewish Baking Cookbook, Easy Jewish Cookbook) [Book 1]" Kindle Edition $.99US Use the "Look Inside" feature to see the list of recipes. **NOTE that this book has not been reviewed yet on Amazon. I am a US Prime member and the price you see may vary.
  1. Load more activity