• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Campari Cocktails

eje

Jeffrey's Blood Orange sounds good. I'm thinking of a taste-off tonight against:

Bitter Union

by Stew Ellington

2 oz Gin

1/2 oz Campari

1/2 oz Maraschino Liqueur

3/4 oz Orange juice

3/4 oz Lime juice

Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Flamed orange peel garnish.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

They both sound good. You guys are killing me, my liver's never going to survive all the drinks on my "must try" list now and it just keeps getting longer. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

We tried both the Bitter Union and Blood Orange tonight. There are quite different, despite the similar ingredients. The Bitter Union has a classic sweet/sour flavor profile from the lime, and the Maraschino comes to the front, much like a Last Word. My wife preferred it, and if you're a fan of Maraschino, there is little to dislike.

The dry vermouth leans out the Blood Orange, giving it a more austere presentation. I rather enjoyed it. The dry vermouth and the Campari combine to make a bitter-on-bitter combo. The Blood Orange is more "contemplative." I think I might prefer the Bitter Union when I just want to relax with a complex, easy-to-like bitter cocktail.

• 2 months later...

I made this (dry) Americano variation last night called Rome with a View (Michael McIlroy, via Bartender's Choice).

Campari, dry vermouth (I used Dolin), lime juice, simple syrup, soda water.

7370609756_cf9812b2a0_z.jpg

I was not sure how the pairing of Campari and dry vermouth would work; I am not usually a fan and have a hard time enjoying a Lucien Gaudin or an Old Pal for example. It was very nice though, bitter but not overly so (if there is such a thing), very refreshing with the lime and soda water, and the dry vermouth added a lot of interesting aromatic flavors. A good summer-time apéritif.

I made this (dry) Americano variation last night called Rome with a View (Michael McIlroy, via Bartender's Choice).

Campari, dry vermouth (I used Dolin), lime juice, simple syrup, soda water.

That does look amazingly refreshing. I have some Dolin so I will be trying this in the next day or so. Thanks.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 months later...

The Gloria cocktail is described on the Bartender's Choice app as creation by Vic Bergeron that resembles a fusion between a Negroni and a Martini, so I had to try it. Gin, dry vermouth, Campari, Cointreau.

8107096118_60c01cc673_z.jpg

Not as immediately loveable as the Negroni, but nice nonetheless.

Doesn't look materially different from a Lucien Gaudin.

Good catch. Gloria has more gin (1.5 oz) than Lucien (1 oz) but the other ingredients are the same at 0.5 oz each. It's enough to change the feel of the drink although a side-by-side comparison may be in order.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried an Enzoni last night, a creation by Vincenzo Errico which is a lighter take on the Negroni where the 1 oz of sweet vermouth is replaced with 3.4 oz lemon juice and 0.5 oz simple syrup plus muddled grapes. It's refreshing but I don't think it's going to replace my favorite cocktail any time soon.

8205403618_053c8f576a_z.jpg

Kerry, seeing the St Germain and Campari together made me think of the Bitter Elder. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here before, but if not, it's definitely worth making. It sounds like the Brothers Perrymen is very similar, but without the lemon. I'd be surprised if you didn't like the Bitter Elder.

Kerry, seeing the St Germain and Campari together made me think of the Bitter Elder. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here before, but if not, it's definitely worth making. It sounds like the Brothers Perrymen is very similar, but without the lemon. I'd be surprised if you didn't like the Bitter Elder.

Indeed it has - one of Anna's favourites.

Has anyone mentioned the Six Shooter cocktail? I think I found it here a year ago or so ...

Its choc full of spirits but I remember liking the complex flavours:

1.5cl Campari

1.5cl Dubonnet

1.5cl Cherry Brandy

1.5cl Dry Vermouth

1.5cl Sweet Vermouth

1.5cl Gin

Also, I really like the Bitter Elder. Infact its been a while since I made that - might re-make it tonight

• 2 weeks later...

Continuing to catch up with the cocktails I have tried recently.

I almost want to keep this one to myself because it's SO good. The Professional by Benjamin Schwartz: bourbon, Campari and overproof Jamaican rum. It feels like a cross between a negroni and an old-fashioned. It tastes bitter and deep/complex, and the Smith & Cross adds a fantastic finish. Love it.

8218785671_c814ac8874_z.jpg

Mizz Mazza

by Stew Ellington

1 1/2 oz Campari

1/2 oz Eau de Vie of Douglas Fir

1/2 oz Gin

1/2 oz Ginger liqueur, Domaine de Canton

1/2 oz Dry vermouth

Build in an ice-filled vintage, purple-tinted rocks glass.

My notes: Substitute lemon juice for dry vermouth. I used King's Ginger. Truly excellent.

Mizz Mazza

by Stew Ellington

1 1/2 oz Campari

1/2 oz Eau de Vie of Douglas Fir

1/2 oz Gin

1/2 oz Ginger liqueur, Domaine de Canton

1/2 oz Dry vermouth

Build in an ice-filled vintage, purple-tinted rocks glass.

My notes: Substitute lemon juice for dry vermouth. I used King's Ginger. Truly excellent.

i re-rendered this in equal parts:

.5 oz. campari

.5 oz. eau-de-vie of douglas fir

.5 oz. cascade mountain gin

.5 oz. canton ginger liqueur (from a half empty nip!)

.5 oz .m&r dry vermouth

the above recipe really called to me but i knew i had to change the structure of it to suit my hard won acquired tastes. equal parts seemed like it would do the trick. this is probably the coolest drink i've had in quite some time. there is a strange alliteration to the juniper, fir, and ginger. the bitterness of campari pulls it in another direction adding to sense of space it takes up. the sum of the sweet ingredients contrasted by the acidity of the dry vermouth seem to add up in a way that really flatters the aroma. i would go so far as to repurchase the very expensive ingredients it will take to remake the drink.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

• 3 months later...

Been playing with the Nolita from Christian Siglin via Kindred Cocktails

Ingredients

1 oz Gin, Beefeater

1 oz Campari

1⁄2 oz Coffee liqueur, Cafe Lolita

1⁄2 oz Sweet vermouth, Carpano Antica Formula

1 ds Bitters

1 twst Lemon zest

I used Cinzano instead of CAF and Tia Maria instead of Cafe Lolita. EMP liked it quite a bit but we found it a bit more to our taste by dialing down the Campari a bit and the Tia Maria up a bit. Used Scrappy's chocolate bitters (the only use I've found for them).

But my favourite was doing that and substituting silver tequila for the gin, turning it into a sort of Brave Bull variation.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

That's my usual course lately as well (it's fine with a reposado too but a blanco's best). I was using Patron XO for the coffee liqueur and tequila seemed appropriate. Very good.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Been playing with the Nolita from Christian Siglin via Kindred Cocktails

Ingredients

1 oz Gin, Beefeater

1 oz Campari

1⁄2 oz Coffee liqueur, Cafe Lolita

1⁄2 oz Sweet vermouth, Carpano Antica Formula

1 ds Bitters

1 twst Lemon zest

I used Cinzano instead of CAF and Tia Maria instead of Cafe Lolita. EMP liked it quite a bit but we found it a bit more to our taste by dialing down the Campari a bit and the Tia Maria up a bit. Used Scrappy's chocolate bitters (the only use I've found for them).

But my favourite was doing that and substituting silver tequila for the gin, turning it into a sort of Brave Bull variation.

That's my usual course lately as well (it's fine with a reposado too but a blanco's best). I was using Patron XO for the coffee liqueur and tequila seemed appropriate. Very good.

Very cool to see all this buzz about the Nolita. The tequila variation sounds good too. I am going to sample Christian's new menu at C&C very soon and can't wait to try his new creations!

Continuing to catch up with the cocktails I have tried recently.

I almost want to keep this one to myself because it's SO good. The Professional by Benjamin Schwartz: bourbon, Campari and overproof Jamaican rum. It feels like a cross between a negroni and an old-fashioned. It tastes bitter and deep/complex, and the Smith & Cross adds a fantastic finish. Love it.

8218785671_c814ac8874_z.jpg

This sounds like an interesting drink! Is it a 1:1:1 ratio like a classic negroni?

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

3:2:1 bourbon-Campari-S&C.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937