• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pre Theater Dinner Near Times Square

Casey

And I "third" the choice for Rene Pujol. Ate there with older couple with food issues and the menu and house were extremely helpful. The service is so tuned for the curtain that you are in eating and out on the street heading to the theatre before you know it!

Edited by slkinsey (log)

• 6 months later...

I thought I'd bump this up to get some more opinons. I'm looking for a good restaurant to go to in November, pre-theatre and preferably on the West Side near the theater (45th btwn 7 & 8). We're going to see Dame Edna, so dinner would be great if it was an "upbeat" or fun dinner, but nothing totally out of the ordinary. Any ideas besides what's been posted on here already ?

• 4 weeks later...

I had an acceptable meal the other night at Cara Mia on 9th Ave between 45th and 46th. Your basic Italian place with a range of dishes. We split an arugula/gorgonzola/pear salad, and then ordered two pastas, one bolognese, and one rigatoni (which it wasn't) in vodka sauce with chicken. Huge portions, reasonably priced. With one glass of chianti, the bill came to $54 including tip. The sign says they offer a 3-course prix fixe Sun-Thurs for (iirc) $20.95pp.

Our only real complaint about the place is that it's really tight! Tons of small tables on top of one another. But for a quick and okay bite pre-theater, it'll do! Service was efficient, entree portions large.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 3 months later...

Grest suggestions for pre-theatre dining but what about post-theatre dining? Where are the late night eats ala Late Night With Dave Attel?

I'll be seeing Phantom on 44th and wondering what spots are a must hit for Pastrami piled high on rye, pizza by the slice, burgers, Thai, Chinese, whatever.

It's my first visit to NY so need suggestions for the local greasy, fattening and hell-a-good eats....thanks. (yes, my diet will be on hold).

Cheers,

Bob

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

• 3 months later...

My wife and I are going to see Sweet Charity at 2:00 on Wednesday, June 15. The theater is on west 45th street and we would like to know where we could get a nice dinner after the play. We like French food and stopped in Cafe un duex trois for a glass of wine the other day. We saw a few things on the menu that we liked but are not sure of the quality of the food there.

Any recommendations of a restaurant in that price range (or slightly more) would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I sure this may have been covered but could not find anything in the search. On August 2nd (Tuesday) about 8 girls will be getting together to celebrate our 40th and we are going to see Hairspray. Any ideas on a pre-theater dinner?? Italian/American/Steakhouse/Seafood?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Karen

I'm a fan of Le Madeleine, which is on W. 43rd. Pretty good food, moderate prices, out-of-the-way enough so that it's not overrun with tourists, but still close to all of the theatres.

A classic choice is Un Deux Trois, at 123 W. 44th. I love their celeri remoulade and steak tartare. A little touristy, but pretty good food, and classic actors-cum-waitstaff.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I'm a fan of Le Madeleine, which is on W. 43rd.  Pretty good food, moderate prices, out-of-the-way enough so that it's not overrun with tourists, but still close to all of the theatres.

A classic choice is Un Deux Trois, at 123 W. 44th.  I love their celeri remoulade and steak tartare.  A little touristy, but pretty good food, and classic actors-cum-waitstaff.

Thanks, Megan! They both look great.

There's Hell's Kitchen (inventive Mexican), Marseille (Moroccan-tinged French -- lovely space and very reasonably priced), DB Bistro (Boulud's famous burger, among other bistro delights), The Modern (Danny Meyer's midtown outpost at MoMA with an Alsatian bent), District (inventive "American" cuisine), among others. Most are probably well suited to a nice pre-theater dinner where you really can't linger, though I can't say for sure if all of them have a prix fixe menu. The Modern would be good if you can snag a spot in the bar area, though it's prone to be loud there...

Christopher

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be in Manhattan for a two day seminar next month. I don't have the schedule yet, but I'm guessing we'll have an hour break for lunch. Is there anywhere within a quick walk of 48th/Broadway that's good, moderately priced, and not a chain or tourist trap? Almost any kind of food is fine--deli, hot dogs, pizza, ethnic (but not Indian), burgers, etc.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

I really enjoy going to Sapporo, a Japanese noodle shop on 49th between 6th and 7th. I tend to get miso ramen quite a bit, but it has a large and varied menu. There are several cold dishes in case you don't feel like eating a steaming bowl of soup in the summer. There are other reviews all around the web: check out <a href="http://www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp?neighborhoodid=0&restaurantid=3626">Menupages</a> and <a href="http://www.frommers.com/destinations/newyorkcity/D39071.html">Frommers</a>.

If noodles aren't your style, you can head over to 9th Avenue between 42nd and 55th. There are any number of great places at a variety of price points. If you want to spend a lot of money, you can always go to Esca. If you just want a good burger, Island Burger is the place to go. There is also Grand Sichuan International at 50th for some of the best Chinese food in the city, Uncle Nick's and Uncle Nick's Ouzaria for Greek food, and any number of semi-decent Thai and Sushi places. Finally, you can always just ditch lunch and go for a couple of pies at the Little Pie Company.

There are probably over a hundred restaurants within a six block radius of 48th and Broadway. It's a nice place to eat. :-)

[Edited to add HTML tags]

Edited by greenfield (log)

How about Kyma for Greek food? It's on the corner of 46th and 8th, just one avenue over from Broadway. Beautiful space serving classic Greek dishes, and iirc, a full bar (if that matters).

I've was only there once, and sadly, had been having an upset stomach that day, so I ate sparingly. My friends enjoyed grilled octopus (an entire tentacle), sausages and grilled shrimp (huge, butterflied) while I had the avgolemono (chicken soup with lemon), which really hit the spot before heading off to see a show. The few tastes I had of their dishes will definitely get me back again the next time I'm in the theater district.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 7 months later...

Will be attending Phantom of the Opera with a group of 4 couples for Hubby's 50th in mid-March. Was thinking of Thalia's on 8th and 50th for pre-theatre dinner for the 8 of us. Was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions. We're all open to any cuisine with the exception of Indian. Price no object.

ViceVersa is one of my faves for italian/continental. Le Madeleine has nice french. 21 Club has a pre-theater prix fixe special. If you've never been, it's old school New York, old boy, clubby... kinda out of place nowadays, almost like in a time warp (and not so much about the food, although it can be pretty good). My one meal at db Bistro Moderne was my last, as service was so cold and rude it spoiled the meal.

Edited by TrishCT (log)