• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'll Name the Food, You Name the Movie

Pontormo

two more, both should be pretty easy

* Duck l 'orange is served with a picture of the dish, but no actual duck 'pieces' visible

* Grains are currency. Corn is very highly valued

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

oly Grail) as the film "The Fisher King".

WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION:

-insomniac has guessed that #123 ("you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta.") is the film "Lemony Snicket Series of Unfortunate Events".

NOPE

-Toliver has guessed that #123 is "The Goodbye Girl"

NOPE

123. "you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta."

clue:

said while the character's cooking, to a little girl, who hasnt eaten yet, and is kinda lonely.

it might be "bad girl pasta" that he says.

Sorry if I'm doing this wrong. I'll admit I have not read through all this thread. I'd like to add a new puzzle and hope it was never discussed before.

Puzzle: Dumplings play a big and important role. They are a key to solve a mystery for a man's incarceration.

Hope this is all you need.

I'm thinking Oldboy. If so, *fantastic* Korean film!!

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

The mid-week evening recap:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, it's not given a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Pretty Woman", "The Godfather", "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", "Fargo", "Moonstruck", "Repo Man", "Fried Green Tomatoes" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

**New clues have been added to existing films...and some new movies have been added, as well**

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

-sadie_siamesecat has correctly solved #155 (Sugar and HIGH TEA. CLUE: Breadcrumbs. CLUE: BAGS OF breadcrumbs. Cheap) as the classic Disney film "Mary Poppins".

-FoodMan has guessed that #123 ("you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta"...) is the film "Mostly Martha".

-petite tête de chou has guessed that #163 (Dumplings play a big and important role. They are a key to solve a mystery for a man's incarceration) is the film "Oldboy".

We know that #97 is not "Little Miss Sunshine" nor is it "Elf"

#123 is not "Lemony Snicket Series of Unfortunate Events" nor is it "The Goodbye Girl"

#153 is not "Legal Eagles"

STILL UNSOLVED AND TAUNTING US UNMERCIFULLY:

97. Ahi Tuna, a glass of water

CLUE: toothpaste

CLUE: Christmas cookies, herbal tea

CLUE: a big stack of pancakes topped with ice cream, whipped cream, M&Ms, sprinkles, and chocolate syrup

CLUE: The Ahi tuna was warmed in a microwave

CLUE: said while the character's cooking, to a little girl, who hasnt eaten yet, and is kinda lonely. it might be "bad girl pasta" that he says.

148. In a marketplace, buying pears, Brioche, grapes, fresh cheeses, wine, crusty loaves of bread, and a fresh pork hock

153. cold hot dogs, mustard, potato chips, beer, milk

154. REVISED CLUE: A floor picnic of roast chicken, rudely interrupted by monetary concerns and time constraints.

CLUE: Every meal in the movie was disrupted by SOMETHING, but no other by money.

156. laughing, guffaw....."CHICLETS!!!!!!!!!!!"

CLUE: there is a concession stand with a big stack of cookies displayed on a long pole and the guy selling the cookies does not like loud music, only "Sha Na Na"

CLUE: There is an amazing animation segment, waiting in lines and lots of history.

CLUE: It takes place in San Francisco

158. "I love their eggrolls" " Eat your eggs" and four perfect T-bone steaks

159. An oatmeal cream pie, an apple, and a family dinner featuring a turkey.

161. Trays of coffee and donuts served in a bunker by our heroine (only lady in there) while waiting for an invasion.

CLUE: Dinner of sunny-side up eggs (fried by our heroine), glass of orange juice for her, coffee for him by the candlelight in the farmhouse where they've taken refuge. Dinner was never eaten.

163. Dumplings play a big and important role. They are a key to solve a mystery for a man's incarceration.

164. Duck l 'orange is served with a picture of the dish, but no actual duck 'pieces' visible.

165. Grains are currency. Corn is very highly valued.

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Sorry if I'm doing this wrong. I'll admit I have not read through all this thread. I'd like to add a new puzzle and hope it was never discussed before.

Puzzle: Dumplings play a big and important role. They are a key to solve a mystery for a man's incarceration.

Hope this is all you need.

I'm thinking Oldboy. If so, *fantastic* Korean film!!

Correct and it is a Fantastic Korean movie (you know that Octopus was real and still alive...no props there). That second sentence was too much of a give away I guess :smile: .

this is fun...

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

The morning recap with lots of new guesses:

Please don't assign numbers to your new movie foods...if a movie is solved before it gets put into a recap, it's not given a number since it's out of play.

Also, we're getting some repeat movies. Try not to use "Pretty Woman", "The Godfather", "Cool Hand Luke", "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", "Fargo", "Moonstruck", "Repo Man", "Fried Green Tomatoes" and "Dirty Dancing" as they've all been used twice.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:

--petite tête de chou for solving #159 (An oatmeal cream pie, an apple, and a family dinner featuring a turkey) as the film "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids".

She also solved #163 (Dumplings play a big and important role. They are a key to solve a mystery for a man's incarceration) as the film "Oldboy".

And, hot on her winning streak, she also correctly guessed that #164 (Duck l 'orange is served with a picture of the dish, but no actual duck 'pieces' visible) is the film "Brazil".

-FoodMan has guessed that #123 ("you know what a putenesca is? it means naughty girl's pasta"...) is the film "Mostly Martha".

-WHT has guessed that #161 (Trays of coffee and donuts served in a bunker by our heroine (only lady in there) while waiting for an invasion...) is the film "Enemies at the Gate".

-JanMcBaker has guessed that #161 is "War of the Worlds".

-viva has guessed that #161 is "The English Patient"

We know that #97 is not "Little Miss Sunshine" nor is it "Elf"

#123 is not "Lemony Snicket Series of Unfortunate Events" nor is it "The Goodbye Girl"

#153 is not "Legal Eagles"

#165 is not "Apocolypto"

STILL UNSOLVED AND TAUNTING US UNMERCIFULLY:

97. Ahi Tuna, a glass of water

CLUE: toothpaste

CLUE: Christmas cookies, herbal tea

CLUE: a big stack of pancakes topped with ice cream, whipped cream, M&Ms, sprinkles, and chocolate syrup

CLUE: The Ahi tuna was warmed in a microwave

CLUE: said while the character's cooking, to a little girl, who hasnt eaten yet, and is kinda lonely. it might be "bad girl pasta" that he says.

148. In a marketplace, buying pears, Brioche, grapes, fresh cheeses, wine, crusty loaves of bread, and a fresh pork hock

153. cold hot dogs, mustard, potato chips, beer, milk

154. REVISED CLUE: A floor picnic of roast chicken, rudely interrupted by monetary concerns and time constraints.

CLUE: Every meal in the movie was disrupted by SOMETHING, but no other by money.

156. laughing, guffaw....."CHICLETS!!!!!!!!!!!"

CLUE: there is a concession stand with a big stack of cookies displayed on a long pole and the guy selling the cookies does not like loud music, only "Sha Na Na"

CLUE: There is an amazing animation segment, waiting in lines and lots of history.

CLUE: It takes place in San Francisco

158. "I love their eggrolls" " Eat your eggs" and four perfect T-bone steaks

161. Trays of coffee and donuts served in a bunker by our heroine (only lady in there) while waiting for an invasion.

CLUE: Dinner of sunny-side up eggs (fried by our heroine), glass of orange juice for her, coffee for him by the candlelight in the farmhouse where they've taken refuge. Dinner was never eaten.

163. Dumplings play a big and important role. They are a key to solve a mystery for a man's incarceration.

164. Duck l 'orange is served with a picture of the dish, but no actual duck 'pieces' visible.

165. Grains are currency. Corn is very highly valued.

NOTE: If you post a movie, please check back to see if the guesses on your movie are correct or not so we can keep the "Still in Play" list accurate.

Also, consider posting more clues if your movie remains unsolved.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

#161.  War of the Worlds!

You got it buddy! Way to go!

(Hubby downloaded this for me and the kids. Our little one was frightened by the effects which are pretty cheesy for these standards today. Still a very enjoyable film).

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

New movie:

*Spaghetti pasta cooking over high flame and eventually burns a woman's lingerie. Quote: "Oh dear, I'm already having hot flashes."

*Gourmet dinner delivery ordered because of the spaghetti disaster.

*False dentures fished out of a wine glass. "Quote: Carpe dentum. Seize the teeth."

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

#161.  War of the Worlds!

You got it buddy! Way to go!

(Hubby downloaded this for me and the kids. Our little one was frightened by the effects which are pretty cheesy for these standards today. Still a very enjoyable film).

Yep! I could picture those scenes right off the bat! I didn't need no stinkin' confirmation! :biggrin:

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

New movie:

*Spaghetti pasta cooking over high flame and eventually burns a woman's lingerie. Quote: "Oh dear, I'm already having hot flashes."

*Gourmet dinner delivery ordered because of the spaghetti disaster.

*False dentures fished out of a wine glass. "Quote: Carpe dentum. Seize the teeth."

Mrs. Doubtfire!