• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Emergency food

jaybee

It's ten o'clock PM. You didn't eat much for dinner and now you're really hungry. It's too late to order a delivery. You open the fridge, or the cabinet and you see....

What is it that makes you most happy to have in the house at times like that?

For me it would be either a kosher salami or... a jar of chunky peanut butter, some matzo and really good strawberry jam, with lots of milk to wash it down.

I'm with you on the cheese. Specifically habanero jack from Sonoma Cheese Factory, served on Triscuits, and topped with thinly shaved raw onion. Except it wouldn't be a surprise that I had all three ingredients, since I keep them regularly. Beer goes exceedingly well with this snack, but home alone at that hour, I may opt for a diet IBC root beer.

Liverwurst.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

It's ten o'clock PM.  You didn't eat much for dinner and now you're really hungry.  It's too late to order a delivery.  You open the fridge, or the cabinet and you see....

What is it that makes you most happy to have in the house at times like that?

Isn't that what cookies and milk are about?

Spaghetti or linguine tossed with hot butter and olive oil, topped with toasted bread crumbs and a sprinkling of parmigiano. Always have the ingredients on hand, always hits the spot.

Dead on. Simple pasta always does it for me especially when desperate.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Bread, sliced American cheese, and butter, so I can make a classic grilled cheese sandwich.

Oh ya, that's always good. But to be really satisfying it has to have strawberry jam spread on top. Raspberry will do in a pinch.

Are you saying strawberry jam on a grilled cheese sandwich? :blink: Really? :wacko:

Disgust.jpeg

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Are you saying strawberry jam on a grilled cheese sandwich? Really?

Abso-f*cking-lutely! :raz:

I know when I tell people this is the way I eat grilled cheese reactions range from puzzled to horrified, but it's really good! Think "apples and cheddar cheese" - sweet and savory.

This was how my Mom's family ate them, and how I was brought up eating them - and we ate them alot. But we didn't use processed American cheese (my Mom thought it was not actually a food product and refused to buy it - but we never had butter, only margarine. Go figure :hmmm:). We always used Tillamook sharp cheddar cheese.

Are you saying strawberry jam on a grilled cheese sandwich? Really?

Abso-f*cking-lutely! :raz:

disgust%20boy.jpg

I agree about the cheese though. Of course, of course. :laugh:

I've got 3 teens in the house..... 190 pounds, 170 pounds and 140 pounds. They didn't get that way (by the way, they're all over 6 feet - even the daughter) by missing meals. With that said, and when, just once in a while, I have the couch and TV to myself, I'll mosey out to the kitchen and realize, once again, that the cupboards are bare. Things I've resorted to:

Crackers and: peanut butter (the remains of a jar in the back of the shelf, including reduced-fat *shudder*), jelly of all kinds, marmalade, lemon curd, old salsa, cottage cheese (hopefully not old yogurt), sliced American cheese, whittled-off chunks of that yellow brick in the back of the deli drawer which is/was probably cheese.

Olives

Pickles

A tomato with salt

Eureka!!! A microwave popcorn package! (I'm a Scoutmaster - Trail's End, while expensive, is awesome...the low-fat microwave is grrrreat!!!)

Shrimp scampi (getting desperate here, finding a bag of frozen uncooked shrimp, some garlic and the ReaLemon bottle)

Grilled cheese (which, prior opinions to the contrary, is great - with mustard!!!)

Poptarts (few and far between)

Leftover whatever... nuking a chunk of steak and walking into the living room with it stuck on the end of a fork - man-popsicle)

A big piece of baguette, toasted and slathered with butter and jam. I had that for dinner tonight, with a farm market red-skinned pear variety I hadn't seen before.

I also like cream cheese and olive sammiches, preferably on onion rye bread. I love PB&J on toasted whole wheat with chips and a pickle but I eat that for weekend lunches more than for 10pm fridge-raidings.

I don't make pasta under the circumstances Jaybee gave. Takes too long.

The absolute ultimate of 10pm snackies is ice cream, though. Straight from the carton. Coffee chip, preferably.