• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chumpies 'n' Homegirls on Chips, Oh My!

MarketStEl

Maybe we can work something out were I would send you guys all sorts of chips and you can send me stuff that Lancaster does not have. like cheese from DiBruno Brothers

i like this idea!

i have to point out, though, that there's kind of a price differential between a $1.25 bag of good's and a $27/lb roquefort papillon...

but you know, i think we can work something out.

Lancaster and York Counties really are the mecca (and can I just say... my mouth is now watering just reading this thread... must hit Central Market now at lunchtime...mmmmm.....). Gotta say, I'm partial to the Grandma Utz as well... and you can just FEEL your arteries clogging as you eat those things.

I've done the Herr's, Martin's, and Utz tours (warm potato chips just off the line...mmmm...nothing like it), and if you've never done the factory tour... Martin's is different - you're RIGHT THERE on the line - not looking from an observation window or anything. It's quite cool.

Potato chips (and tortilla chips) are my downfall... I can resist chocolate anytime, but a good bag of chips... lemme at it!

Since this thread came out, I've been on a mission to find Grandma Utz. Found her at Rite-Aid. Wow! Much better than Herrs, which I had yesterday. Grandma is welcome in my house anytime.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Maybe we can work something out were I would send you guys all sorts of chips and you can send me stuff that Lancaster does not have. like cheese from DiBruno Brothers

i like this idea!

i have to point out, though, that there's kind of a price differential between a $1.25 bag of good's and a $27/lb roquefort papillon...

but you know, i think we can work something out.

Let's see: 5 bags of Good's = .25 lb of Roquefort Papillon

Or maybe we can substitute Borough Market Stilton instead and send him a whole half pound of it for the same five bags.

Oh, yeah, this can definitely be made to work. Perhaps we should try this instead of Moriarty's wings when next you're in Philly, Mike.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Lancaster and York Counties really are the mecca (and can I just say... my mouth is now watering just reading this thread... must hit Central Market now at lunchtime...mmmmm.....).  Gotta say, I'm partial to the Grandma Utz as well... and you can just FEEL your arteries clogging as you eat those things.

I've done the Herr's, Martin's, and Utz tours (warm potato chips just off the line...mmmm...nothing like it), and if you've never done the factory tour... Martin's is different - you're RIGHT THERE on the line - not looking from an observation window or anything.  It's quite cool.

Potato chips (and tortilla chips) are my downfall... I can resist chocolate anytime, but a good bag of chips... lemme at it!

Now don't go thinkin that I am really an Utz employee in disguise, but I totally dig their white corn tortilla chips- they are my hands down fave. Light and crispy with just the right amount of salt and crunch for me....mmmmm.

Hubby actually bought a big bag on Sunday night and I had to bring them to work today to keep me from eating them all. Not like it stopped me, as I munched all through the day, but at least they are out of the house.

CRACK I tellya! That is what Utz puts in their snacks...cheeseballs, puffin corn.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm love them Utzs!

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>

Now don't go thinkin that I am really an Utz employee in disguise,

if you were, we'd have to have a serious talk about a friends and family discount for all yer old buddies here on eg. we have needs you know.

CRACK I tellya! That is what Utz puts in their snacks...cheeseballs, puffin corn.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm love them Utzs!

don't forget the sourdough specials -- the best pretzels on the market. everything else is too dry, or not salty enough, or too full of weird fake butter flavor... the only thing that comes close is them big ol' sourdough jawns that snyder's makes.

LOL - definitely. We keep a big ol' jug of those Utz pretzel nuggets (you know, those mongo-sized jugs from Costco) around for all of us saltaholics in the office... it's dangerous.

Sigh. Now I'm hungry. Pretzel run...here I come...

Since this thread came out, I've been on a mission to find Grandma Utz.  Found her at Rite-Aid.  Wow!  Much better than Herrs, which I had yesterday.  Grandma is welcome in my house anytime.

And if you're looking to limit your indulgence, Karen, Genuardi's carries the 25 cent bags of various Utz snacks, including Grandma's chips...... Hmmm-- maybe they can come up with a Peking duck-flavored chip! :wink:

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

On the Jersey side of the river, I found Grandma Utz at Chick's Deli in Cherry Hill, big and small bags.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Since this thread came out, I've been on a mission to find Grandma Utz.  Found her at Rite-Aid.  Wow!  Much better than Herrs, which I had yesterday.  Grandma is welcome in my house anytime.

And if you're looking to limit your indulgence, Karen, Genuardi's carries the 25 cent bags of various Utz snacks, including Grandma's chips...... Hmmm-- maybe they can come up with a Peking duck-flavored chip! :wink:

Thanks, Janet, but I don't even know where the nearest Genuardi's is. It's a good thing that Rite-Aid only sells it in small bags, or I'd be in big trouble. Then again, what's keeping me from buying all those little bags?

Peking duck-flavored chip. Pork AND duck! :wub:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I've always felt that it was a major failing of Wawas to not carry Utz. But I forget it too, and occasionally pop in and stare blankly at the wall of Herrs and Frito Lay products, then slink away despondently.

I think I've whined about this before, but I've been undergoing a personal crisis lately, as the yellow-bag Utz waffle chips are increasingly hard to find.  Utz says they still make them, but I think they're getting elbowed-off the shelves by some of the new weird flavor chips.  I haven't been able to find them in a while, and it's negatively impacting my chip habits, and therefore, my general view of the world.  Sorry, the blue-bag thin rippley ones don't do it for me...

Next time you're in Center City, stop by the Pac a Deli Food Market, a former Wawa (the decor inside is more or less unchanged from the standard Wawa color scheme of the late 1970s, though the signage [and the presence of beer to go] is completely un-Wawa-like) at the corner of 12th and Walnut.

They carry most of the regular Utz varieties, including Wavy and Hot 'n' Spicy (on an occasional basis, depending on how their route driver feels, I guess).

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 2 months later...

So, I'm standing at my friendly neighborhood lunch truck (nothing special, just one of the most convenient to my office on Temple campus), and I notice the bag of Herr's "Philly Cheese Steak" potato chips. :unsure: Huh? Do they actually make these chips taste like meat? Anyone had them? Are they any good? I can't say they appeal to me, but I gather there is a market for them.

"Herr's "Philly Cheese Steak" potato chips. Huh? Do they actually make these chips taste like meat? Anyone had them? Are they any good? I can't say they appeal to me, but I gather there is a market for them. "

i haven't had them but, there is a british potato chip that comes in all sorts of flavors. roast chicken, steak, cheese, etc, and ,yeah, they taste like chicken or steak.

i love the strange world of meat flavored potato chips and had high hopes when i was given a promo bag of those cheesesteak chips last year at a phils game.

but those things suck. they mainly tasted like liquid smoke and salt. ugh.

i love the strange world of meat flavored potato chips and had high hopes when i was given a promo bag of those cheesesteak chips last year at a phils game. 

but those things suck.  they mainly tasted like liquid smoke and salt.  ugh.

Agreed. I tried them once out of curiosity, and regretted it. To me, they just tasted like BBQ chips, only *much* saltier for some reason. I don't know what they were thinking. I want to know who at Herr's tasted these things and said, "Eureka! It tastes just like a cheese steak!"

Snyder's of Hanover used to make a "Grilled Steak & Onion" potato chip that I rather liked. It actually tasted "steaky" to me. I even got a vegetarian friend of mine hooked on them (he missed meat), but he was a bit concerned about what the "natural flavor" in the ingredient list was. We used to joke that "natural flavor" was just a euphemism that manufacturers would use to trick vegetarians into eating meat-derived products... :laugh:

__Jason

I even got a vegetarian friend of mine hooked on them (he missed meat), but he was a bit concerned about what the "natural flavor" in the ingredient list was. We used to joke that "natural flavor" was just a euphemism that manufacturers would use to trick vegetarians into eating meat-derived products...  :laugh:

My understanding is that "natural flavor" typically means MSG.

(But maybe in this case, it's delicious, all-natural Soylent Green. Who can be sure?)

Snyder's of Hanover used to make a "Grilled Steak & Onion" potato chip that I rather liked. It actually tasted "steaky" to me.

yeah those were good. snyder's also used to make buffalo wing flavor, and coney island hot dog flavor, and a couple other meat flavors. no more, though. sad.

Yes, I think that the British have always had more of a predilection towards meat-flavored crisps than Americans.

Anyway, taquitos.net, the canonical online source for salty snack foods, lists twenty kinds of beef chips.  They also have a review of the Herr's steak chips here.

Asian snack foods also have all kinds of chicken, beef, etc. flavored chips, thins, etc. I have a chicken flavored something or other around the corner, but I'm a little bit lazy to check it right now.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.