• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food History Articles and Links

Carrot Top

2 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

Hey, give me enough breakfast wine and I'll eat all the stale bread you can throw at me!

What on earth do we think dip bread is?

I thought toast soldiers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

What on earth do we think dip bread is?

I have no idea whether this is correct or not but someone asked the same when this menu was posted on Facebook and another reader replied "The meaning of DIP TOAST is toast drenched with milk, cream, or melted butter."

Edited by blue_dolphin
missing word (log)
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I have no idea whether this is correct or not but someone asked the same when this menu was posted on Facebook and another reader replied "The meaning of DIP TOAST is toast drenched with milk, cream, or melted butter."

So "taking a dip toast"

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

5 hours ago, chromedome said:

Nonsense. It's a simple flatbread, if anything. There were no mozarella, tomatoes or delivery guys on bikes 2,000 years ago. There were flatbreads, though. Had been for centuries.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

A fresco on the wall of a home in the destroyed Roman city shows a silver tray with food items including flat Focaccia bread, fruit and a goblet of red wine against a black background. The still life dates back approximately 2,000 years and “could be a distant ancestor” of pizza, the Archaeological Park of Pompeii said in a statement, adding that it was missing some classic ingredients of the dish.

Full story here

image.png.0cd7025e00271e0f2b73a6e71bd0f5ff.png

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2023 at 5:10 AM, liuzhou said:

A couple of pics.

366320498_667818932051684_2893095200792737535_n.thumb.jpg.e0d0727197f0da726eb3923409acf921.jpg

Paradise Pudding (undated)

1787.thumb.jpg.2e6149a4144b5e8b63c5202227194329.jpg

Bill of Fare  1787

Paradise Pudding is so weird it's beyond awful. And now I can only hope that Syllabub and her sister Flummery are answers to crossword clues in what's left of my waking hours on earth. And leveret.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

Paradise Pudding is so weird it's beyond awful. And now I can only hope that Syllabub and her sister Flummery are answers to crossword clues in what's left of my waking hours on earth. And leveret.

I'll give Paradise a miss if they only serve that pudding. But the best meal I've eaten in the last 26 years in China was leveret. It was cooked by my late sister-in-law and absolutely delicious. I've also had syllabub (not in China) and although I wouldn't go looking for it again, it was O.K.

My favourite London pub

oldcheshirecheese.jpg.98ebc1c8bd187477fe65b35918c85a43.jpg
date unknown

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese is a Grade II listed public house at 145 Fleet Street, on Wine Office Court, City of London. Rebuilt shortly after the Great Fire of 1666, there has been a pub at this location since 1538. The vaulted cellars are thought to belong to a 13th-century Carmelite monastery which once occupied the site.
The entrance to this pub is situated down a narrow alleyway and is unassuming, yet once inside visitors will realise that the pub occupies a lot of floor space and has numerous bars, narrow stairs  and gloomy rooms.

In winter, open fireplaces are used to keep the interior warm. In the bar room are posted plaques showing famous people who were regulars. Some of the interior wood panelling is nineteenth century, some older, perhaps original.

The pub is known for its literary associations, with its regular patrons having included Charles Dickens, G.K. Chesterton and Mark Twain.

And me!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Today in 1837...

By pure coincidence, just as I received this email I was watching a program called Royal Recipes that was showcasing the Worcestershire factory. They told the history of the product and explained how it was made today. There have been very few changes and only four people know the combination of spices that go into it. It's a wonderful story about a wonderful sauce.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Food truck, 1919

The women kind of look French. I'm not familiar with the license plates of France and to me they kind of look English. Wherever they are, it's a pretty generous spread of food for that close after the war years.

21 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

The women kind of look French. I'm not familiar with the license plates of France and to me they kind of look English. Wherever they are, it's a pretty generous spread of food for that close after the war years.

They're certainly not British license plates. All British plates have always had letters and numbers from A1 onwards. French the same.

I assumed American, but based on no evidence whatsover.

I'd love to know when food trucks first appeared and number plates may well be the only way to roughly date images.

Edited by liuzhou (log)