• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canned Tomatoes

Stone

Pomi is a good ingredient. I've used it before in sauces. But I'll bet you could get it cheaper somewhere other than Dean & Deluca (as is the case with most things they sell, I daresay).

Michael aka "Pan"

Rich, I am from a southrn Italian backgrounf also, only by way of Brooklyn. To us "gravy" meant a tomato sauce with meat. Any other tomato sauce was a "sauce". As for the butter aspect, it is most certainly not of southern Italian origen, but is quite delicious.

Speaking of Joe, I just made him a dish of simple pasta with nothing but EVOO, pomodorini del Vesuvio and S&P. Those tomatoes are so good, they are better than anything that can be added to them, IMO.

Hey now, guys. Back to canned tomatoes...

Doc, what are these pomodorini del Vesuvio and where can I buy them?

These are the tomatoes I was talking about. I can never remember the precise name! :raz:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

The Pomi/Parmalat tomatoes in cartons are terrific, and were $1.99 for a 24 ounce box at Fairway last time I stocked up. The tomatoes themselves are of very high quality and they have a wonderful freshness that you simply don't get from canned. You have to retool all your recipes and expectations when you use them, though. Because they're packed without salt, their flavor is unexpected, and if you're accustomed to canned tomatoes it can be disorienting. There is also a certain "canned tomato taste" that is simply not present in the Pomi tomatoes, and while I believe the lack of that taste is a good thing it is, again, disorienting not to taste it. Also, because their most attractive characteristic is their fresh taste, these tomatoes perform best in quick-cooked or even raw sauces, although they can also add dimensionality to longer-cooked sauces.

My current formula (I've done this about 5 times this winter now) for a fresher-tasting version of the classic New York Italian restaurant-style tomato sauce is a 36 ounce can of Francesconi whole tomatoes (the ones from Teitel Brothers), roughly cut up with kitchen shears while still in the can; a 24 ounce box of Pomi crushed tomatoes; a 7 ounce can of La Squisita tomato paste; a pint of "grape tomatoes," quartered; a medium onion, diced fine; a clove of garlic, crushed; a fistful of chopped fresh marjoram and basil; olive oil; salt; pepper. Cook the onion over medium heat in olive oil until translucent, then add the grape tomatoes, garlic and half the fresh herbs and cook until the tomatoes start to give up liquid, then add all the other tomato products, bring up to a simmer on medium-high heat and reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes, adding the rest of the herbs, plus salt and pepper, in the last 2 minutes.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I was just in there and they had Pastaso DOP for $2.79 and La Valle DOP in kilo cans for $2.49. Considering the non-DOP cans were still around $1.99, that's not much markup at all for the DOP cans.

Now if it were possible to actually check out of Di Palo's in less than twenty minutes...

I got a couple of these gallery_7453_323_395804.jpg today at Di Palo's. The Pastaso can that I saw were not D.O.P. Also, there are cans of La Valle tomatoes that don't have D.O.P. on the label. Odd, no?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

I have found three varieties (crushed, chopped & marinara sauce) of Pomi cartons at Waldbaum's. I like their marinara sauce also.

My local IGA only carries the chopped product ($1.59).

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

I recently bought and tried some of La Valle's Pomodorini di Collina from BuonItalia. Not DOP, as far as I know, but still an excellent product. Not sure exactly what the cost was. Have used them on their own or mixed with other products for sauce.

Mark A. Bauman

Just back from an early morning run to Fairway. The Pomi tomatoes are actually $1.59, not $1.99 as I had previously suggested. At Teitel Bros. they are usually cheaper.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I was watching a Sara Moulton episode when she made the claim that Gourmet magazine had done a taste test of canned tomatoes, and that a domestic common brand had done very well in the standings. But of course she didn't remember the brand. Any ideas on a favorite cheapo brand?

I bought a case of la valle( non dop) for 19.00 at Todarobros.com. I did a mail order because Im not in NY. The price has since gone up since I got them a few weeks ago.

I havent used them yet, but I do plan on making some sauce.

For domestic tomatoes, I prefer Muir glen.

Now if it were possible to actually check out of Di Palo's in less than twenty minutes...

I usually go at around 10 A.M. (I have the luxury of being able to go during the week) and can get in and out in under 10!

I got a couple of these gallery_7453_323_395804.jpg today at Di Palo's. The Pastaso can that I saw were not D.O.P.

The 28 oz. Pastosa cans that say 2004 CROP have the DOP in a little circle in a white box with all sorts of official looking numbers and seals.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Another vote for Muir Glen tomatoes, which consistently win tastings (I first read about them in a Cook's Illustrated taste test. They are consistently very good, and since here in New England, we are forced to use canned tomatoes much of the year (Jeremiah Tower be damned), we stock up whenever they're on sale.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Just back from an early morning run to Fairway. The Pomi tomatoes are actually $1.59, not $1.99 as I had previously suggested. At Teitel Bros. they are usually cheaper.

I was at Whole Foods this morning - they have Pomi strained tomatoes and Pomi chopped tomatoes - does Pomi pack whole tomatoes? Oh, and they're about a buck more a box, so I didn't buy any!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I tend to trust whatever brand Di Palos has when I visit. But I go home on the subway from there so after cheese, salami, and oil I don't have much room to carry cans of tomatoes.

But, just to open myself up to attack, I have to admit I've been fairly happy with the 106 oz cans of "Nina" San Marzano (non-dop) tomatoes I get really cheap at Costco in Wayne, NJ.

No attack. I'm sure they are fine. It probably does not make much of a difference unless one will be using them in a dish in which the tomatoes are relatively unadulterated. A marinara sauce is probably a good example. A meat "gravy" is probably less of an issue.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

But, just to open myself up to attack, I have to admit I've been fairly happy with the 106 oz cans of "Nina" San Marzano (non-dop) tomatoes I get really cheap at Costco in Wayne, NJ.

I'm glad to hear some praise for Nina brand canned tomatoes, because I bought a can last week that I haven't tried yet.

I bought a box of Pomi at Fairway ($1.50) yesterday, and I'm excited to try them. What can I do with them besides combine them with canned tomatoes to make the sauce Steven described above (which sounds great, by the way)?

I also saw cans of Il Miracolo di San Gennaro ($5, 35 oz) at Di Palo's.

Edited to add price of Miracolo tomatoes

Edited by jogoode (log)

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

The way I understand it, lots of growers in the traditional area don't bother with the hassle of obtaining DOP certification. I look for ``Nocerino-Sarnese (SA)" on the label and have never been disappointed. I've compared Luigi Vitelli's 35-oz non DOP product with Colluccio's DOP and they compare quite favorably.

Additionally, have you ever noticed how much less sodium is in the imported Italian tomatoes.

The way I understand it, lots of growers in the traditional area don't bother with the hassle of obtaining DOP certification.  I look for ``Nocerino-Sarnese (SA)" on the label and have never been disappointed.  I've compared Luigi Vitelli's 35-oz non DOP product with Colluccio's DOP and they compare quite favorably.

Additionally, have you ever noticed how much less sodium is in the imported Italian tomatoes.

My personal preference would still be to support those producers who do bother with the "hassle", because it represents a standard that means quality. To me it is worth a little bit more to support that process and standard. The alternatives are too difficult to figure out and not nearly consistent enough.

Twitter - @docsconz

Should I avoid canned tomatoes that contain citric acid?

If you buy the ones that contain lysergic acid, I think you'll find the eating experience greatly enhanced.

Are these acids used as preservatives?

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

Should I avoid canned tomatoes that contain citric acid?

If you buy the ones that contain lysergic acid, I think you'll find the eating experience greatly enhanced.

Are these acids used as preservatives?

Absolutely! Produced in small batches by... er... artisans, usually in either "windowpane," "microdot" or "blotter" form.

Seriously, though. Acidic products are generally thought to be safe from botulism when canned. There is some question as to whether tomatoes are acidic enough for this, and as a result citric acid is usually added (presumably to reach a certain pH point). Although Pomi doesn't add citric acid, most brands seem to do it. I can't say that I detect a difference.

--

Seriously, though.  Acidic products are generally thought to be safe from botulism when canned.  There is some question as to whether tomatoes are acidic enough for this, and as a result citric acid is usually added (presumably to reach a certain pH point).  Although Pomi doesn't add citric acid, most brands seem to do it.  I can't say that I detect a difference.

Tomatoes ride the line of pH where 'canning' (or jarring or preparing) using boiling water at atmospheric pressure is allowable. If citric acid is listed it may be because the producer chooses to can at reasonably low temperatures to better preserve the fruit's texture. It also could be for color retention.

In general, all products that are pressure canned (elevated temperatures by elevating pressure) are safe regardless of acidity (think of canned peaches is heavy syrup).

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN