• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Two part barbecue

sheriffblalock

Hi, everyone. For my first post I'd like to tap the q'ers knowledge to ask if anyone ever does their barbecue on two separate occasions. I'm thinking about big pieces, like brisket, when you may cook it for 3-4 hours on one occasion, and then the rest of the way the next day. I go to a lot of football tailgates, and it's tough to get a large piece of meat done that early in the day when you have to travel as well.

Thanks!

I have not done what you are talking about.. But why not just cook it the whole way the first time and reheat it?

That's certainly an option, but sometimes the timeline makes that difficult. What I had in mind is a 3-4 hour smoke heavy session, then cutting the meat in smaller pieces and cooking for a few more hours.

I don't know if brisket would handle that well. I do my briskets at about 220 - 240 degrees in the smoker and they take 12 hours or more and you're always fighting dryness. I think if you double cook (especially if the second cook is at higher heat) you might not get the results you want from a lean cut like brisket.

However, I freeze slow cooked brisket and pulled pork barbecue and it reheats beautifully wrapped in foil with some cider vinegar and spices. I did invest in a home vacuum packer, it makes a huge difference in quality coming from the freezer.

So, I guess I'd recommend that if you want long cooked barbecue at a tailgate. If you want to try it, I'd do pork shoulder, it's much more forgiving than bef brisket. Cook it to 190 internal temperature so it pulls nicely.

Or you could go traditional and have steaks. Have fun!

I've smoked plenty of big hunks of meat, and I'd definitely cook, pull and reheat. If you're doing brisket and want to slice it, smoke ahead of time (until done) and reheat and slice day of.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I've smoked plenty of big hunks of meat, and I'd definitely cook, pull and reheat.  If you're doing brisket and want to slice it, smoke ahead of time (until done) and reheat and slice day of.

Thanks, everybody. I've cooked a lot more pork in my life, I thought it might work for it, but didn't know about beef.

I've smoked plenty of big hunks of meat, and I'd definitely cook, pull and reheat.  If you're doing brisket and want to slice it, smoke ahead of time (until done) and reheat and slice day of.

Thanks, everybody. I've cooked a lot more pork in my life, I thought it might work for it, but didn't know about beef.

I did a brisket fest just a couple of weeks ago, and as soon as it was smoked, wrapped it in foil and put it in the fridge. The next day, I just reheated it it a low oven (in the foil) until hot, and Paul sliced it up. It was so good that 30 people demolished all 13 pounds of it, and I didn't get any (except that little piece that "fell off" when I pulled it off the smoker)!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"