• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do you use a splatter screen?

Kent Wang

I've been doing a lot of pan-frying lately in my shallow cast-iron skillet lately and been getting a lot of oil splattered all over my stove.

Do you find a splatter screen effective or is it more of a frivolous gadget? Any tips on purchasing one?

Hell yeah I use a splatter screen. I think it reduces all splattering to just about zero. Of course some splattering still occurs when I have to take it off to add things, and stir, but the mess is far far less than when I didn't use one. I think I paid $5 for a largish one, at a restaurant supply store or somewhere. BB&B had three-packs of them in different sizes, last time I was there.

I've been doing a lot of pan-frying lately in my shallow cast-iron skillet lately and been getting a lot of oil splattered all over my stove.

Do you find a splatter screen effective or is it more of a frivolous gadget? Any tips on purchasing one?

Personally, I think it's a brilliant invention; steam comes out, grease, for the most part does not. I think I got mine at either Target or Wal-Mart, but I'm sure that Bed Bath and Beyond would carry them, but you'll pay more! Just be sure the screen is bigger in diameter than your favorite skillet.

The screen also doubles as a draining sieve and a cooling rack. Not a uni-tasker at all! (regards to Alton Brown...) :raz:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I use regular splatter screen. Works like a charm. Every once in a while there is a little splatter through the screen but it's neglible.

Wouldn't fry bacon without it.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I use mine occasionally but I foolishly got one with a plastic handle! :angry: When I really need one it is for pan-seared items that are finished at high temp in the oven! I have since seen one with a metal handle and one day I will acquire it.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Mine works well, and I wouldn't be without it, but it doesn't eliminate 100% of the splatter. At times -- for example, when I'm pan-searing a steak -- I'll do a belt-and-suspenders and place a paper towel on top of the screen. (But not overlapping the sides: overlap = fire!) In general, the finer the mesh, the better the performance. Maybe I need to try a new one. Amazon has a bunch for sale.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

Read to children. Vote. And never buy anything from a man who's selling fear. -Mary Doria Russell, science-fiction writer

Mine works well, and I wouldn't be without it, but it doesn't eliminate 100% of the splatter. At times -- for example, when I'm pan-searing a steak -- I'll do a belt-and-suspenders and place a paper towel on top of the screen.

That's why I use two -- one on top of the other! Whatever makes it past the first screen is usually stopped by the second...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I had two sizes of screens and then realized that one worked much better than the other. It has a much finer mesh screen in it. That would be my only advice - find one with a fine mesh screen.

Besides for frying/sauteeing where there is a lot of grease spatter, I find it useful if you are reducing sauces, especially a tomato sauce that might be a little watery. Keeps those little red measles from forming all over the stovetop.

Mark A. Bauman

I've got one, but it just hangs next to the sink -- I keep forgetting it's there, and I've got the bacon fat burns to show for it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

No, Not that i dont remember to use one.... its more chefs pride..... It is Fun to clean your Stove! Do it after every single time you cook, work clean!

I may be in the gutter, but I am still staring at the stars.