• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Panini Bread

jrichman

I recently received a paninni grill and I am having trouble finding the correct type of bread to use with it? Any ideas on where to purchase the correct type of bread to use with the pannini maker? Looking for places in Northern NJ or New York City. Thanks.

Look for focaccia bread. It's even readily available down here in So. Jersey. I've no doubt No. Jerseyans can reccomend the best place to get it.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

make your own, it isn't that hard.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Most panini I have ever had were served on ciabatta bread...Which should be relatively easy to find..also very easy to make...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Actually, I think panini is the process rather than a specific bread. I've even seen wonderful Panini made with a good seedless rye bread. Focaccia is probably the most common. In Italy, panino refers to any kind of sandwich, grilled, cold, any kind of bread. In France, it's called a Croque monsieur; Just be daring! :smile:

Most panini I have ever had were served on ciabatta bread...Which should be relatively easy to find..also very easy to make...

Whole Foods carries great ciabatta bread.

Although Whole Foods uses superior ingredients, almost all of the breads sold in the bakery department are par-baked, frozen and shipped from a regional wharehouse. A par-baked/frozen bread will never have the same taste/texture as a freshly baked bread.

The deli department does sell wonderful panini's, though (sandwiches too). They don't buy their bread from the bakery dep't, though. They order it from Balthazar.

I recently received a paninni grill and I am having trouble finding the correct type of bread to use with it?  Any ideas on where to purchase the correct type of bread to use with the pannini maker?  Looking for places in Northern NJ or New York City.  Thanks.

Any dense bread will work, no packaged sandwich bread i.e. wonder. Just remember to butter or spread a little oil/fat on each side before grilling otherwise you'll get dry toast.

Bode

Il Forno, on S. Fullerton in Montclair, has the best Italian bread I've had around here. My second choice would be Shoprite, which carries La Brea bakery products, or King's, where you sometimes can get Sullivan St. or other good bakery products. And I'm sure the Balthazar bakery has amazing stuff; I just haven't managed to get there yet.

Susan