• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tag Team eG Foodblog: Light My Fire!

Mike, I love that you're a soda fan...what's your favorite soda to drink with a burger?

If I had to pick just one it would be Coke Classic, if possible a sugar one not a HFCS one.

In any case it would not be a flavored one. No lime or cherry or anything. I really like the Diet Coke with Splenda. I think there are two kinds of diet soda drinkers. Ones like me who drank regular and want to find something that tastes like it. And those like Megan who were weaned on diet and never drank regular and have no memory of it. To my taste, Diet Coke with Splenda is the closest they have gotten. This product seems to have bombed as I can't find it anymore. I guess Zero is my next choice. Unless I go back to the real deal.

I'm in former camp as well. I used to drink regular until I was diagnosed with diabetes and had to switch. I love the diet coke w/ splenda as well. I really enjoyed making a coke float with it. I too can't find it anymore. ( I used to buy it in Michigan as I've never seen it in Ontario)

Have you tried any of the flavored diet dr. peppers? Personally, I enjoy the regular diet dr. Pepper. All those new flavored ones take away from the original dr. pepper taste.

I have not. I never liked Dr. pepper. Maggie does and there is Diet Dr. Pepper out on the soda shelf. I know lots of folks like the flavored Dr Pepper stuff, perhaps I'll give one a try if they go on sale.

I'm all set for dinner tonight.  But I'm wondering what I should make for dessert tomorrow.   There'll be smoked pork of course, coleslaw and corn on the cob.  =Mark's BBQ sauce for the pork.  But I'm at a loss for dessert.  I thought of a 4 layer devil's food cake, or molten lava cakes.  I've done creme brulee too many times, and i'm not looking to wrestle with pie dough.

Any suggestions?

If you have an ice cream maker, butter pecan ice cream might be a fine ending.

Two other ideas: homemade butterscotch pudding with whipped cream or homemade banana pudding.

The other idea that sprang to mind violates the no-pie dictum: buttermilk pie.

edited to add: I guess I have "butter" and "b's" on the brain.

(Congrats on the pizza made in the face of adversity! They looked good.)

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

We made it back inside just as the next downpour hit.  That's when I realized I'd left the grill on.  Without a word, my newly grown up hero, went out, turned the burners off and shut the gas off.  Where did he learn how to do that?  I didn't even realize he knew where the gas tank was!

We both changed our clothes and devoured our pizzas.

All in all, it was good.  The crust was wonderfully crispy and the toppings and sauce just right.  It was fussy though.  Watching the crust carefully, then in and out of the house to top and put back on.  It's a lot easier to build a pizza on a peel and slide it onto a stone in the oven (which I had on with the third round in reserve, just in case :biggrin: ).  I can't help but think though that there's got to be an easier way to bond with your teenager

*sniff* Wonderful story Marlene. And yes, they do grow up faster than you can imagine. My oldest starts his new job with .... TIM HORTONS this weekend (how Canadian!). It seems like just yesterday he was a babe in my arms. *sniff*

Awesome job on the pizzas! Don't worry about the fussiness. After you do them for a while they're really easy ... but yes doing it with another set of hands is much simpler. J & I do them all the time now. The only thing I might suggest is to keep the ingredients to a minimum ... more Tuscan style I suppose.

The gravy separtor ... the fat rises to the top and the gravy (sans fat) pours up through the spout from the bottom. I have a similar one from my Bestemor.

A.

Two other ideas:  homemade butterscotch pudding with whipped cream or homemade banana pudding.

(Congrats on the pizza made in the face of adversity!  They looked good.)

Surprisingly enough, i don't have an ice cream maker. :biggrin: Butterscotch pudding is sounding rather nice though!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

*sniff*  Wonderful story Marlene.  And yes, they do grow up faster than you can imagine.  My oldest starts his new job with .... TIM HORTONS this weekend (how Canadian!).  It seems like just yesterday he was a babe in my arms. *sniff*

Awesome job on the pizzas!  Don't worry about the fussiness.  After you do them for a while they're really easy ... but yes doing it with another set of hands is much simpler.  J & I do them all the time now.  The only thing I might suggest is to keep the ingredients to a minimum ... more Tuscan style I suppose.

The gravy separtor ... the fat rises to the top and the gravy (sans fat) pours up through the spout from the bottom.  I have a similar one from my Bestemor.

A.

I think Tim Horton's is a required first job for Canadian teenagers. I liked the pizza enough that I'm certainly interested in trying it again under better weather conditions!

Marlene

I have smoked butts both brined and unbrined. I prefer them brined, as I like that all-through seasoning effect, but I've made some devilishly good smoked pork unbrined too.

Dessert could be a good ice cream, topped with some grilled or caramelized fruit. Maybe on a slice of poundcake, with a drizzle of caramel sauce.

Surprisingly enough, i don't have an ice cream maker. :biggrin:  Butterscotch pudding is sounding rather nice though!

Sounds like you need an ice cream maker!

I'm in the middle of laundry. You think you have laundry, Marlene, we're a family of 5! That equates to 70 socks per week.

I'm still thiinking about dinner. Hmmm. Dessert. We rarely have dessert. Perhaps Diana and I should make something this afternoon when I get back from the plant sale.

This is the plant sale I'm going to. It it huge and occupies the entire floor of the grandstand at the State Fair. I've learned not to go first thing on opening day because of the long lines stretching outside, and the last day is awful -- the stuff is half price, all banged up and in total disarray. I'm meeting a friend, and we will not be browsing. We've reviewed the catalogue carefully and are on a mission.

I don't think I'll brine this butt. My fridge is just jammed and I had a hard enough time getting the butt in there.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Two other ideas:  homemade butterscotch pudding with whipped cream or homemade banana pudding.

(Congrats on the pizza made in the face of adversity!  They looked good.)

Surprisingly enough, i don't have an ice cream maker. :biggrin: Butterscotch pudding is sounding rather nice though!

I love butterscotch pudding! I have made several time a receipe from Emeril lagasse. A chocolate and butterscotch pudding pie. It is made with graham cracker crust no pie dough needed.

I have alink to it, but I'm not sure if I can post it due to the copyright stuff. I'm sure you could find it if you want.

Emeril's Butterscotch Pie

Edited by lancastermike (log)

4 Le Crueset mini casserole dishes.  I have absolutely no clue what I'm going to use them for, but I thought they were darned cute. :biggrin:

gallery_6080_2891_25818.jpg

How about individual servings French Onion soup? Or mini soufflés.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Bingo, Mike. This is on the menu!

Back to butt. Susan, do you remember how big my butt was? (just trying to keep Peter happy), last time we did this? I recall putting in on the smoker at 9:a.m. and pulling it off around 7:30. Since we aren't brining, will we need more time? My current butt is 8lbs, no bone remember. Since we're having company to help us eat this, I'd like to try to be a little more specific about timing.

Marlene

4 Le Crueset mini casserole dishes.  I have absolutely no clue what I'm going to use them for, but I thought they were darned cute. :biggrin:

Mini souffles sound like a wonderful idea! French onion soup would work too.

Marlene

Mini souffles sound like a wonderful idea! French onion soup would work too.

Or individual mac n cheese!! Cheesy and rich.

Ok, here's another question. How long exactly, does it take to grill asparagus? I've only ever roasted or steamed it. I bought some today to go with the kebabs and rice, and I figured I'd grill them.

Marlene

I regret that a family obligation will keep from joining in tonight. Marlene and Susan have kindly agreed to kebob without me.

On a happier note, for me anyway, perhaps not for them, I will be back on Saturday for the big butt smoke and I have now confirmed with my local seafood supplier that soft shell crabs will be in this weekend and appearing on a grill at my place on Sunday.

Anyone have tips or pointers on the crabs let me know. We LOVE soft shell crabs.

Ok, here's another question.  How long exactly, does it take to grill asparagus?  I've only ever roasted or steamed it.  I bought some today to go with the kebabs and rice, and I figured I'd grill them.

Marlene, I don't have an exact time for you, but it's on the order of minutes. 5 minutes, maybe? Watch them closely.

I'm enjoying this blog, folks. I have to keep popping in and out, and frantically reading to catch up, so I suspect I'm missing out on some fine points. I am certainly getting a kick out of the commentary on butts.

Kudos to Marlene for grilling in the rain. Snowangel, if it makes you feel any better, up on the Iron Range they had 4" rain in 36 hours; along the South Shore in Ironwood they had enough snow to close the schools; here around Duluth and up the North Shore it may get back down to freezing tonight. And it hasn't stopped raining yet.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

And a gravy separator ladle.  I'm not quite sure how to use this and there's no instructions.  I suppose it's supposed to be intuative.

It's like those fat separator pitchers/measuring cups. When you dip the ladle into the pan juices/stock, the liquid will sink to the bottom and the fats will rise to the top. When you pour out the ladle, it will pour out the stock first and the fat will remain behind for you to dump out into something other than the gravy that you will be making. :)

And if it's any consolation to any of you, here in Hilo, HI it's been pouring buckets for the last week. Ok, it's not 40 degrees, but it's been pretty wet here too! I'm thoroughly enjoying the butts, grills and fires! Any grilled desserts going to be happening in the future?

Any grilled desserts going to be happening in the future?

I second the grilled desserts request. I am very fond of grilled peaches and nectarines, drizzled with a slighly sweet, slightly caramelized glaze of balsamic vinegar. I'll bet a touch of pomegranate molasses would work well on that, too.

If all else fails, you could do s'mores. :wink:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Any grilled desserts going to be happening in the future?

I second the grilled desserts request. I am very fond of grilled peaches and nectarines, drizzled with a slighly sweet, slightly caramelized glaze of balsamic vinegar. I'll bet a touch of pomegranate molasses would work well on that, too.

If all else fails, you could do s'mores. :wink:

Come now. I'm already sacrificing myself for the great blog good by making veggies! You don't really think you're going to see fruits of any description from me do you? :biggrin:

Marlene

Back to butt.  Susan, do you remember how big my butt was?  (just trying to keep Peter happy), last time we did this?  I recall putting in on the smoker at 9:a.m. and pulling it off around 7:30.  Since we aren't brining, will we need more time?  My current butt is 8lbs, no bone remember.  Since we're having company to help us eat this, I'd like to try to be a little more specific about timing.

Marlene, I think Chris should weigh in on this one for you because as I recall, his cracked butt was a tidge over 8 pounds and was also boneless. He could weigh in on whether you should tie it so we don't see your butt crack!

What an afternoon. The plant sale was great (more on it later this evening), but traffic on the way home was awful. I had forgotten until I was stuck on the freeway that not only was it raining, but it's The Opener. Bumper to bumper, tons of boats, trailers and RV's. I really should have taken the back streets...

So, by the time I got home, I had to get busy on dinner. I'm doing chicken satay, which is a favorite of my kids. It takes a really long time to bone a dozen chicken thighs. For some reason, I find myself simply unable to buy boneless skinless chicken pieces. They are often very expensive, and if you don't have leftover bones, how do you make stock?

gallery_6263_35_30840.jpg

I have carefully saved all of the fat and skin (a project for tomorrow or Sunday that you'll see!), and put the bones in a bag.

Mis for the marinade:

gallery_6263_35_15670.jpg

All mixed up:

gallery_6263_35_43492.jpg

Ready for the fridge

gallery_6263_35_46474.jpg

I use a plate on top instead of plastic wrap. I have a real trash fetish. Ask if you want!

Now to fix a peanut sauce. I'm also going to do that cuke/shallot in vinegar and sugar, but I don't have any cukes. Does anyone know if zucchini would be awful?

I do the plate over bowl thing as well! Also to avoid trash. Do go on :smile:.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I do the plate over bowl thing as well! Also to avoid trash. Do go on  :smile:.

I hate trash. I hate having to pitch stuff that you shouldn't have to use in the first place. Those plastic bags at the grocery for produce? I rinse them, let they dry and take them back to the store to reuse. Again and again and again. My kids hate going to the grocery with me, as I come armed with bags -- plastic and paper -- that have been used.

I recycle as much as possible, but much prefer reuse to recycling. That's one reason I spend a lot more money for the milk in the glass jars.

OK, off my soapbox.

Back to dinner. It's raining. Radar indicates it's going to really lighten up soon, so I'm holding out for grilling my satay. I'd hate to have to resort to the broiler :wacko:

Back to butt.  Susan, do you remember how big my butt was?  (just trying to keep Peter happy), last time we did this?  I recall putting in on the smoker at 9:a.m. and pulling it off around 7:30.  Since we aren't brining, will we need more time?  My current butt is 8lbs, no bone remember.  Since we're having company to help us eat this, I'd like to try to be a little more specific about timing.

Marlene, I think Chris should weigh in on this one for you because as I recall, his cracked butt was a tidge over 8 pounds and was also boneless. He could weigh in on whether you should tie it so we don't see your butt crack!

I'd certainly tie it. When I smoked my butt, I pulled it out too early after about ten hours, so... 12? 14?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts