• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things to do with avocados when you're dead

Fat Guy

About 12 years ago, I was staying on Cozumel for a vacation and there was a great restaurant called La Choza.  They had 'avocado pie' on the menus.  Since coming back, we have made an attempt to replicate that failed but was quite tasty.

I think it was essentially a cheesecake but with avocado.  It appeared to be baked, medium firm set, velvet texture, little bit of lime, almost no sweetness, don't remember the crust, cool but not cold for service.

Anyone know if the restaurant still exists?  If so, perhaps we could arm-twist the staff for a recipe.

Years ago, I went to a potluck dinner with a Caribbean theme. I was to take dessert. I found a recipe for Avocado Pie in the Time Life Foods of the World series, I think. It was quite good, and I made it quite a few times after that first dinner. But had sort of forgotten about it until I read this thread.

My cookbooks are all packed away, so can't drag out that recipe. But it was my understanding at the time that avocado pie was a very commonplace dessert in the Caribbean. Perhaps you could google something keeping that in mind.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

aaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:shock:

what the hell???

where'd that thing come from???

Jersey.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I saw a lot of "on toast" variations, but I don't think I saw my personal favorite...

Lightly mash the avocado with some pureed (or garlic pressed) garlic and salt. Simple but delicious. Sometimes i add black pepper or habanero, but most of the time the simpler the better. I also use this as a sandwich spread on a lot of sandwiches--it's especially good at keeping the bacon slices in place.

Alton Brown did an episode on just this topic:

Avocado Buttercream Frosting

Avocado Compound Butter

Avocado Ice Cream

I got to see Alton make the frosting in person at a demo in Austin, TX, before the avocado episode ever aired. It was really cool. He had a 6 year old boy in the audience test it for him, who declared it "really good!"

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

• 2 months later...

I am bumping this topic up because in today's email I received this periodic message from the California Avocado Commission.

There are many terrific recipes on this site.

These Halloween party recipes sound and look like they would be a great addition to a party meal.

Topical avocado recipes. Haas avocados will be at their peak soon.

Some stores are carrying the large, shiny, bright green skinned Zutano that is only available from September through December.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

fantasy avocado

fan half a thin-sliced super-ripe avocado out on the bottom of a plate. top with a few (slow) oven roasted tomato petals. add one soft poached egg on top. Dress with sherry, bacon fat, truffle vinagrette. top with bacon crumbles. If you happened to have some puff pastry laying around that might make a nice scoop.

That sounds a lot more appetising than the straight avocado half topped with a poached egg that a friend was served at a diplomatic dinner in Germany! Bit large to stuff in her little handbag, she said.

I like alternating slices of avocado, buffalo mozzarella and tomato, sprinkled with a peppery olive oil, some lemon juice, flakey salt and ground black pepper and strewn with a few basil leaves. One of my "lazy" salads. :wink:

Blog: http://cookingdownunder.com/blog

Twitter: @patinoz

The floggings will continue until morale improves

I remembered posting on this topic but it was another thread on non-guac avocado uses: Avocados: They're not just for guacamole

I love this recipe inspired by Jamison and Jamison in their book, A Real American Breakfast; it's a Brown Butter Scramble with Avocado. (Great book by the way).

Mix eggs with some cream or half and half, minced roasted garlic, a dash of hot sauce and s&p.  Cook some butter until nutty brown (~ 5 min), cook eggs until soft curds form (do NOT overcook).  Quickly fold in bite size pieces of avocado and remove from heat.  Eat with or on good toast.

This is absolutely, voluptuously, luscious.

Here's another similar thread: Avocado Recipes

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Have you tried a fresh BLA?  Bacon, lettuce, and avocado sandwich?

Edit to add: oh, yeah, squeeze some grapefruit juice on it.

One of my favorite sandwiches....but I swithc it up and call it a BAT; Bacon, Avocado, Tomato....mmmmmhhhh

when i feel like getting a bit more fancy I toss in some nicoise olives, shallots, and lemon rind!

Well don't just stand there......get some glue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didnt' read the whole thread in detail, so these may have already been mentioned.

My wife makes a shrimp coctail with a sauce of coctail sauce, chopped avocado, chopped celery and some horseradish. Her mom doesn't like the shrimp, so the sauce goes on a cracker.

Another variation of avocado on toast is butter, avocado, salt and pepper.

Large cubes of avocado, large cubes of home-grown tomato, lime juice, liberal amount of crisp bacon pieces, chopped cilantro (optional), minced garlic, minced green chiles, sprinkle of sea salt. Mix very lightly.

Makes an excellent salad for barbeque, picnics, etc.

I have been reading this thread for the past couple of days, and yesterday my friend called and told me that her boyfriend had been given case of very ripe avocados. They had made lots of guacamole and didn't know what else to do with all the fruit. I told her to give me a couple hours and I'd make them an avocado feast. I made roasted garlic-avocado spread with toasted baguette, a caprese-style salad with heirloom tomatoes and avocado with goat cheese instead of mozzarella with some macerated shallots and fresh basil, evoo; a marinated mushroom salad on endive leaves topped with avocado slices; a quesadilla stuffed with fried avocado, roasted corn with truffle oil and chives, cilantro, and topped with sour cream, a parfait of crab with shallots and chives, and mint with a wasabi-avocado mousse with taro chips, and a chilled avocado soup with thai basil and mint. It was delicious, I will make it all again, especially the roasted garlic spread. It was so simple and delicious, I can't wait to try out more variations! Next time I'll have to try a dessert...

I know that we must all bash The Cheesecake Factory, however does anyone remember the avocado eggrolls, with cilantro/tamirand sauce that they served years ago. They are still one of the dishes that I am requested to make for every party my friend Rob has. At his wedding the other day 3 people came up to me and said - 'you're Kerry? You make the avocado eggrolls right?'

The centre of the eggrolls are ripe avocado, red onion, sundried tomato. The sauce is a sweet/sour amazing mixture with cilantro, tamirand, ground cashew, honey and cumin.

Thanks, Lori. And to follow up on my avocado night, the soup wasn't so great the next day, I put too much basil and mint- too strong to enjoy as a soup. But it turned out to be an excellent sauce over toast with heirloom tomato and a soft poached egg...these experiments have given me so many new ideas!

In the Philippines, especially in my family, avocadoes are halved, cored and then grated by a special grater (the ones my mom has are about 60-70 years old). The grated avocado is then dumped into a huge bowl with lots of large ice cubes and drizzled with evaporated milk and a few cups of sugar. This is a favorite dessert and snack during the summer.

I come from a family of sweettooths (thankfully I am not one. I like my avocado in guacamole with plently of minced garlic.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

halve an avocado, take out the pit, then squirt some ketchup into the little dents.

simple and delicious

oh and if you aren't hungry and have dry skin you can smear it on your face mixed with a little honey

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I have prepared this

avocado/pear mousse several times. It is delicious.

I also make an avocado pie - can't find my recipe at the moment, but it is almost identical to

Avocado pie at recipezaar.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'm supremely confused.

Earlier this year I'd posted a "what went wrong"

question on EG when I tried to make avocado soup.

I heated sauteed veggies, added stock, then

pureed avocado. It turned nasty and bitter.

Twice.

When I posted the question here people suggested

that heating the avocado was the problem

But here I'm seeing several suggestions for

heating / cooking the avocado...

which are obviously succeeding for you all....

What did I do wrong?

Milagai

I don't know Milagai

I prepare avocado soup fairly often and have never had it turn out bitter.

This is my recipe:

Creamy Avocado-Lime Soup

Serves 8

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter

1 large yellow onion, diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 bunch cilantro, minced

6 ripe avacados

1/2 cup lime juice

1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground. Toasted whole cumin freshly ground is preferred.

1/2 teaspoon oregano, dried, ground

1/4 teaspoon chile, freshly ground dried chile, use mild ancho or your preference.

1 pint Crema Mexican agria

6 cups chicken stock

salt and pepper to taste

12 ounces cotija cheese, crumbled

2 limes, cut into 8 wedges, lengthwise.

1/2 cup sour cream, stirred until creamy. (Or use more Crema Mexicana agria)

Use a 4 quart sauté pan, sautoir or sauteuse or similar wide and deep pan.

Cook the diced onions in the butter until clear.

Add the garlic.

Add all of the cilantro except for a heaping tablespoon to use as garnish.

Add the ground cumin, the oregano, the ground chile and continue sautéing for another 2 minutes.

Halve, peel and seed 5 avocados, cut into chunks and add to the pan.

Immediately add the lime juice, Crema Mexicana and chicken stock.

Increase the heat, stirring often, until the soup is simmering.

Lower the heat and continue to cook at a steady simmer for 12 - 15 minutes.

Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender until smooth and creamy.

(If you do not have a stick blender, cool the soup by placing pan in an ice bath and stirring

constantly until barely warm. Transfer portions to blender and blend until smooth. Return to pan and bring up to serving temperature.)

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Ladle into serving bowls.

Chop the remaining avocado coarsely and divide between the bowls.

Add the crumbled cotija cheese, a generous tablespoon of the sour cream and sprinkle with the remaining cilantro.

This can also be served chilled.

Andie Paysinger

Avocado mayo goes with nearly everything IMO, and add a little wasabi to it and serve with crabcakes for a sublime meal.

Avocado and bacon muffins for brunch.

1/4 avocado slices smeared with wasabi, dipped in tempura and deepfried until golden brown ( just recommended but everyone who has tried them is raving about them).

My favourite breakfast is corn fritters with roasted tomatos, avocado and sweet chilli sauce.

I use them in place of butter on most of my sandwiches.

We kinda drown in avocado's here in New Zealand!

This morning I did lemon juice, olive oil and coarse salt in the "well" and ate from the half with a spoon. I thought it was missing something -- maybe it needs a little heat, but in what form? I also can't seem to grasp the olive oil and avocado pairing -- it doesn't seem to flatter either ingredient.

Try a little celery salt it gives a nice flavor. During the power outage we grabbed

avocado from our trees and at it on wheat bread with Hauula tomatoes celery

salt and some walnut dijon mustard with dessert of papaya from our trees. Delicious! :smile:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004