• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Chufi - Birthday Cakes & Royal Celebrations

Chufi

I made a large pan of brownies. I mixed walnuts and dried cranberries into the batter, and  added a layer of cream cheese

gallery_28661_3_35382.jpg

"Philadelphia," I presume?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Klary, I find the photographs taken at your own birthday celebration illuminating when the food's compared to the dinner party you prepared for your husband's 50th. 

From what I gather, each dinner made for Dennis is rather elaborate, if comfortably unfussy and also designed to share with lots of friends.  Lots of work went into stuffing pasta and becoming Seabass Lady for 24. 

You gave yourself a relaxed, informal spread.  I see how those sandwiches (do they look good!) relate to the homey food you introduce on your Dutch Cooking Thread or the pizzas on the day you turned 34.  Am I reading too much self-expression into what you chose to cook in celebrating your own birthday?  After all, you spent the entire week celebrating in lots of different ways, and not focussed on a single night.

I was determined to have some fun myself this time. The dinner for Dennis was more hard work, than fun. It's interesting though. While that dinner was impressive, and guests were impressed, and I was proud of myself because of the achievement, I think at the end of the day, both I, the guests and Dennis will say they prefer the less ambitious gatherings like the one we had last night.

Something to think about...

(Except for the herring, of course---but what is in the snifter beside the sandwich?  Looks like a cross between fortune cookies and those teensy finger-bananas).

Fishcakes! Most herring stands also sell other fishy stuff: fried fish nuggets, fish cakes, smoked mackerel, salmon, fishsalads etc.

Klary, thank you so much for this wonderful glimpse into your life in Amsterdam. I hope to come visit in person sometime soon, but, until then, your words and your photographs will have to be my (very excellent) substitute.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

"Philadelphia," I presume?

actually, no, a very cheap German brand (75 eurocents for 200 gram :shock: )

Sorry Sandy :wink:

Oh, no need to apologize to me!

I confess that I buy the store brand often. I try to stock up on "Philly" when one of my supermarkets has it on sale, as I prefer its taste, but I'm not that particular on the whole. I'm very price-conscious, as my blog should have made clear. :wink:

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

i've been nagging my husband now that we HAVE to go to amsterdam. of course we've moved to the west coast so i don't know when it will happen...but i hope you don't mind strange eGulleteers popping up on your doorstep?! :biggrin:

i showed him the photo of the frites from your first food blog (and he's a HUGE junk food junkie) and even he couldn't believe how much mayo was on them. he said "you'd have to shove your fist through the mayo to get to the frites"...

so being a terrible one for wordplay i sang to the tune of Missy Elliot's "Get Your Freak On"...

you guessed it...

"Get your frites on"

all i got was one of these :wacko: from my husband.

klary, your blog has been wonderful! happy birthday again at the close of your birthday week!

(quote) After all the festivities, this is just a regular Monday. Well, besides the fact that we just spent 2 hours cleaning the house. Did I mention we have no dishwasher?(/quote)

Klary, of COURSE you have a dishwasher! His name is Dennis! :laugh:

Congratulations, happy belated b'day and thanks for showing me another wonderful place I haven't been to yet. :wub:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

What a great blog Chufi.. I really have learned so much about Dutch Life.. Love the Zabar's Mug.. Its 3 blocks away from me.. Love your pictures and your writing style.. Thanks for sharing your life with all of us..

gallery_28661_3_70439.jpg

Cutting with a warm knife is a really good idea - it made all the difference. As you can see, even with a ruler to guide me, I still don't manage to make really even-sized pieces. But, this is better cutting then I've ever done! Thanks Abra!

When the pieces aren't all the same size, you just keep trimming them until they are -- and eat all the trimmings yourself, as per Abra's advice! :laugh::laugh:

Nothing like hiding the evidence! No one will know.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Klary, thanks so much for sharing your life with us for a week. I missed the latter part of your week, but I enjoyed the beginning of your blog, and look forward to catching up. I love reading about your meals--as well as seeing them--and this week has been a real treat.

P.S. While quickly scrolling through the pages, I noticed your ice cream book--I had (emphasis HAD) the same one, but it mysteriously disappeared. I suspect someone in my family stole it, but nobody is 'fessing up.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Thanks for a lovely blog!

I have to say, from the few Dutch folks it has been my pleasure to have met so far, I have a general impression of the Dutch people as down-to-earth, fun-loving folks. Your blog has totally reinforced that, and strengthened my resolve to come visit Amsterdam one of these days.

P.S. So glad your li'l critter found her way back home! Wow, bummer narrowly averted! :cool:

What a great blog Chufi.. I really have learned so much about Dutch Life.. Love the Zabar's Mug.. Its 3 blocks away from me..  Love your pictures and your writing style.. Thanks for sharing your life with all of us..

we were in New York September 2004.. stayed in a hotel near Zabar's and had breakfast there every morning.. I love that mug, it reminds me of a wonderful holiday.

I'm so GLAD Foufou is HOME!! And I think I'm glad I didn't know at the time she was missing---our Georgia Granddog, who lived with us for a year and a half, was missing for several days last month, and it gave me a PAIN in the tummy til she was found. Our PeePee rat did that once, got out of her aquarium and disappeared for most of a day...we heard her later, walking her tiny claws clickety on the magazines at Chris' side of the bed. And once she got out of it in the backseat of the car as we traveled, made her way underneath the front seat, and appeared, shining whitely in the dark between his feet as he drove. (But not before she chewed a big ravel out of the cloth cover of my much-coveted Martha Stewart wedding book lying on the backseat, the little minx). Entertained herself, then went exploring.

Thanks for all the happy week with you---must be getting on toward quittin' time for your blog, and we just loved this peek into your happy, busy, interesting life.

Post more pics ANYWHERE!!!

rachel

Edited by racheld (log)

P.S.  While quickly scrolling through the pages, I noticed your ice cream book--I had (emphasis HAD) the same one, but it mysteriously disappeared.  I suspect someone in my family stole it, but nobody is 'fessing up.

Mine is gone now, too... sold it for 1 euro :shock: on Queensday!

"...I made a peanut sauce from thick coconut milk, peanutbutter, some lime juice, soysauce and tamarind...

Food blogs are awesome -- I love 'em. There's so much to be learned. I never thought of using tamarin, soy sauce, nor lime for peanut sauce. Great stuff.

Excellent blog. Beautiful. Keep it up.

I really enjoyed your blog, Klarys. It sounds like you had a wonder b-day party. How I wish I could hop on a flight and visit Holland, Belgium, and France right now.

Thanks again for the pastry photos!

-Kenji

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Thanks for letting us share a week of your life and a glimpse of some wonderful meals. I really liked your outing on Queensday and that unexpected surprise of a restaurant you found. And the big bash looked wonderful, as all your party meals do.

Glad your rat came back! (There's something I thought I'd never say. . . )

Glad your rat came back! (There's something I thought I'd never say. . . )

I found myself saying the same thing, and I am usually horrified at even the thought of a mouse or rat -- to the point of being phobic. But a pet is a pet, and I can imagine how upset you were.

Thank you so much for foodblogging during such a special week and busy week. I don't know how you do it all! Riding a bike to and from shopping is only naming one little detail. You're amazing! I look forward to all your posts to come.

Thanks again, and best wishes to you.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.