• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The All All-Clad Cookware Topic

dennis77

On 3/9/2022 at 11:32 AM, lindag said:

All-Clad handles, imo, are just poorly designed.  The only complaint I have about the brand.  I now use a Viking sauté pan rather than my AC because the handles are much more friendly.

Here's the secret: pick it up with a side towel. It will finally make sense. I try to cultivate a habit of using a towel any time I grab a pan, just to avoid absentmindedly branding myself, so it's no trouble. That AC handle suddenly becomes comfortable, and more secure (less likely to slip or pivot) than any other handle I've used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Notes from the underbelly

sorry for my late reply but my facts/details are:

-young dude building up cookware+kitchen equipment. for pots etc i really just have a good sized le creuset dutch oven and a 2qt sauce pan. i find the 2qt sauce pan to be...way too small? i dont really use it too much. ideally i think i'd have a 4qt and a 3qt sauce pan (or maybe saucier).

definitely interested in buying slow in order to buy quality. i do have an induction top but in 2022 i'm not sure how much that throws things off for quality pans?

2 hours ago, hotsaucerman said:

sorry for my late reply but my facts/details are:

-young dude building up cookware+kitchen equipment. for pots etc i really just have a good sized le creuset dutch oven and a 2qt sauce pan. i find the 2qt sauce pan to be...way too small? i dont really use it too much. ideally i think i'd have a 4qt and a 3qt sauce pan (or maybe saucier).

definitely interested in buying slow in order to buy quality. i do have an induction top but in 2022 i'm not sure how much that throws things off for quality pans?

I absolutely love my all clad 3qt saucier. It’s a great pan, hugely versatile - I wouldn’t be without it. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
30 minutes ago, lindag said:

The All Clad Summer Seconds Sale is on now.

Click

That link requires us to know your email address and password! Here, let's see if this works:

All-Clad Summer Factory Seconds sale

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I mentioned in the Sales thread 

its seems AC was having more and more VIP sales 

I was getting so many notices 

I was thinking soon , they would have several thr0ugh out a day .

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I mentioned in the Sales thread 

its seems AC was having more and more VIP sales 

I was getting so many notices 

I was thinking soon , they would have several thr0ugh out a day .

I think AC may be waning.  The newer models aren't like the original Master Chef and they cost a ton. I sent one back a few years ago due to a concave bottom.

• Sad 1

My last couple of pieces have been from the Everyday line of All-Clad (stainless).

I particularly like the improved handles and pouring lips of this line.

Nice for induction too.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I think AC may be waning.  The newer models aren't like the original Master Chef and they cost a ton. I sent one back a few years ago due to a concave bottom.

Totally agree.  So many different lines, none as good as the old school stuff.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 1 month later...

I recently purchased a 4-qt. Soup Pot from All-Clad.

There was a discount on the model I ordered and I didn't look at it too closely.

Turns out what I bought was a D5.

Lucky mistake because this pot is spectacular.

61HScxDFM-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

(image from Amazon.com)

I have lots of All Clad purchased over many years but they were all D3 or (lately) the Everyday D3 line.  If there's a next time I'll definitely look at D5 also before pulling the trigger.

And I need to add the lid fits snugly.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, lindag said:

I recently purchased a 4-qt. Soup Pot from All-Clad.

There was a discount on the model I ordered and I didn't look at it too closely.

Turns out what I bought was a D5.

Lucky mistake because this pot is spectacular.

61HScxDFM-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

(image from Amazon.com)

I have lots of All Clad purchased over many years but they were all D3 or (lately) the Everyday D3 line.  If there's a next time I'll definitely look at D5 also before pulling the trigger.

What a happy accident! Please elaborate: what makes it especially special above the D3 lines?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

10 hours ago, Smithy said:

What a happy accident! Please elaborate: what makes it especially special above the D3 lines?

This is a much nicer design. All over a heavier pot.

Lid has a bigger handle, nice for mitts.

Pot handles are larger, too, better for mitts.

And, in person, it is quite beautiful and can still go through the d/w and stays that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1