• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Back-of-the-Package Cooking

Suzanne F

Well, I NEVER cook with corn syrup but I'm making 2 batches of this Velveeta Fudge on Sunday morning and taking one to a Channukah party and sending one to my favorite boyfriend. I am beside myself with glee.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

How about the pumkin pie recipe on the back of the Libby's can? That's a staple on both sides of my family. I still get suspicious looks at holiday time when I want to roast a *real* pumpkin for pie.

We also used to make "chile-cheese dip" from a recipe on the Velveeta box years ago.

There were also "tavern sandwiches" from a recipe on the back of the Campbell's Condensed Gumbo soup label. Now I have a craving for these!

April

Edited (a few minutes later) because I just remembered: Fudge from the recipe on the back of the jar of Marshmallow Fluff. It's nice way for a beginner to learn how to make fudge.

I guess that I have "tinkered" with the Libby's pumpkin recipe, since I now use fresh pumpkin. And when I get a craving for tuna noodle casserole, I make it with bechamel sauce and fresh mushrooms.

Oooh! And my husband's invention: Sloppy Joes/Manwiches made with spicy fresh pork sausage instead of plain hamburger. Does that count? He considers it his personal culinary triumph. Signing off now. . .

Edited by azureus (log)

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash

I use the pumpkin pie recipe from Eagle brand sweetened condensed milk -- can't remember if it appeared on their label or in an ad. I like it better than the standard Libby's recipe that uses evaporated milk.

I've also successfully used a chocolate mousse recipe from -- don't laugh -- the back of a package of Mori-Nu tofu. It's incredibly rich, and no one ever guesses the "secret ingredient."

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

The Quaker Oats cookie recipe is what my mom used to make me as a little kid! It's the reason why oatmeal raisin cookies are my favorite.

I don't remember the brand now, but I use the cherry pie recipe off the side of a box of minute tapioca my family has had since the 40s. It's actually quite lovely.

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

Years ago, I used to make a recipe from the back of the Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild rice package for a Chicken casserole that we loved. I hadn't made it for at least 10 years and just recently tried it again. I guess our tastes have changed, because we found it really dull and bland!

Well, I NEVER cook with corn syrup but I'm making 2 batches of this Velveeta Fudge on Sunday morning and taking one to a Channukah party and sending one to my favorite boyfriend. I am beside myself with glee.

I'll bet if you made a batch with Veleveeta Mexican, and used some really good quality dark chocolate, you could pass it off as something real exotic. Call it something like "Fudge Mole"?

SB (beside you in glee) :wink:

Nestles Toll House cookies. I used to make brownies from the recipe from the box on either Baker's or Hershey's, which used to make this unsweetened chocolate that was pre-melted and mixed with oil. Came in an envelope and you squeezed it out. Anyone remember that?

Also I've made zucchini appetizers from the back of a box of Bisquick. Someone made it for a holiday party potluck, and it's actually pretty tasty. The picky nieces and nephews loved it. My next step will be to make a version from scratch.

That Velveeta fudge really scares me.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

The Quaker Oats cookie recipe is what my mom used to make me as a little kid!  It's the reason why oatmeal raisin cookies are my favorite.

I don't remember the brand now, but I use the cherry pie recipe off the side of a box of minute tapioca my family has had since the 40s.  It's actually quite lovely.

Quaker Oats recipe for me too. That and the Toll House cookies are two "regulars," and they're good.

I'm pretty sure there was a cookbook that had all these "Back of Box" recipes, the author tried them all out and rated them. Anybody else remember such a thing?

I'm pretty sure there was a cookbook that had all these "Back of Box" recipes, the author tried them all out and rated them. Anybody else remember such a thing?

There were two, I believe the titles were The Best Recipes From Boxes, Jars and Cans and More Best etc. I had both books but they were lost in my house fire. They were pretty good; my marinated mushroom recipe came from the original book with a little tinkering. :rolleyes: Maybe I'll find them at a yard sale some day!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

What about all of those "Impossible {fill in the blank] Pie" recipes onBisquick boxes, where you blend the Bisquick in with the wet ingredients and it makes its own 'crust'? :D 

I've always been curious about these on my days when I'm feeling like comfort food!

I'm not sure I could get over the Velveeta factor if I was told that it was Velveeta Fudge!

I don't know if this counts or not, but I've used quite a few of the foil packet recipes on Reynold's aluminum foil... our favorite is the chicken with strips of sweet potatoes and red peppers with chili sauce... very low maintenance.

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

I always preferred the oatmeal cookie recipe on the back of the raisin box, higher ratio of raisins of course. I think I might have evolved my own, striking a balance between the Quaker and the Sunmaid versions.

Libby's pumpkin pie is a Thanksgiving staple, Bisquick drop biscuits, and the "melt in your mouth" variation on their pancakes. I've also toyed with some recipes found on the backs of Barilla pasta boxes.

I agree that the Velveeta Fudge sounds really frightening. I'd like to hear how it comes out!

I ate no-bake cookies all the time as a kid, and my sister is planning on making them for Christmas because she and her husband are on no-wheat, no-dairy diets (she'll use fake butter, so sad).

I always get rave reviews for my chocolate chip cookies, and the funny thing is that they're the Tollhouse recipe, slightly modified. When I tell people this they don't believe me, and I've had people who tried my modified version tell me theirs didn't come out as good as mine. I have no idea why.

Sunday morning, from my humble kitchen, a post with photos. Velveeta Fudge, Facing the Fear. :cool:

Actually, I do hope the stuff comes out tasting great--because then I can make it for friends, and weird them out by telling them about the "secret ingredient" after they've tasted it. :biggrin:

I sent the recipe for Velveeta Fudge to my friend. I neglected to tell im that it was a joke.

The subject line of the email that Kraft sent read:

RE: Kraftfoods.com Recipe from a Friend: VELVEETA® Fudge

My friend wrote me back saying:

"You send me recipies like this, sometimes I wonder."

:laugh::laugh:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

what about pecan pie? :sad:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

And oatmeal scotchies... mmmm.

I can't tolerate the artificial butterscotch chips anymore, so now I sub in Skor or Heath bar bits. Wonderful.

I used to LOVE the Bisquick recipes. I'd make the Impossible pies all the time in High School and tell my friends they were quiche.

what about pecan pie? :sad:

tracey

Oh, my dear, when I REALLY can't live without it any longer, I make a recipe that I got from Gourmet magazine a zillion or so years ago, with maple syrup! I can't help it, a decent amount of corn syrup in anything makes me feel ooky, and not in a good way- in a Jessica Simpson's dad talking about her breasts (" those DD suckers!") sort of way.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Sunday morning, from my humble kitchen, a post with photos. Velveeta Fudge, Facing the Fear. :cool:

aha!

For the first time in many, many years I have a reason to really look forward to Christmas morning.

SB (don't forget to leave some fudge out for Santa) :wink:

OK, Folks! The first batch is "done", so to speak. We've got photos to prove that we did the dastardly deed. Trust me, it's not pretty. Still, it's pretty surprising. I'm going to surf over to help and try to figure out how to post the photos. See you soon!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma