• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Changes in Food Packaging

fifi

This was mildly amusing at the market (Ralphs) this morning. A while ago they made the thin plastic bags you put your produce in to take to regiaster thinner. Then, this being California, they were going to ban tham altogether.  Got to produce section and was confronted by these 2 handled, sturdy, cardboard insert on bottom bags tucked into the plastic bag dispensers. Only option. Asked my fave guy and he said they were ony told that is all they have for now. He heard talk about our extreme weather interrupting the trucking part of supply chain for the usual bags. Felt stupid putting little things like mushroom, or serrano chilis in them, but otherwise a mess at register. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f1a33dc192df045d617d7eb7316d7b85.jpeg

• Like 1

Some containers are going to look more luxurious... like jars of olives, dried tomatoes, tomato sauce, tuna... or cans of nuts... that other companies put in simple plastic... and lower the cost... Cheap materials and transportation.

Now there is a reduction of bisphenol in the cans, a chemical use inside to paint and protect the metal from oil or acids, which can cause cancer, diabetes, etc.

• 3 months later...
19 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Single use plastic spoons are being phased out by some companies.    

Yes a greenwashy thing cuz cup still plastic cup...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

Haven't most of the small ice cream cups migrated to plastic paddles?

Perhaps at one point but I'm sure they are moving toward wood/bamboo now. I haven't had one for decades.

Bamboo  in the mouth, I don't mind. Most chopsticks round here are bamboo. But agree that wood is unpleasant. I always hated the wooden ice cream scoops.

Like most places, they changed to plastic here, but recently the trend is back to bamboo. Not wood. Bamboo is cheaper and more environmentally friendly (fast growing and lighter on water resources).

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Take out packaging is changing here. Rarely see Styrofoam anymore. Clamshell packaging for takeout food is now some sort of reinforced paper that is grease proof and pretty much water resistant. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog