• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

• product-image-quickten.png.a40203b506711f7664fc62024e54a584.pngDid you know that these all-volunteer forums are operated by the 501(c)3 not-for-profit Society for Culinary Arts & Letters? This holiday season, consider a tax-deductible Quick Ten Bucks to support the eG Forums and help us remain completely advertising-free. Thanks to all those who have donated so far!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hzrt8w

Pictorial: Crab in Ginger and Green Onion

32 posts in this topic

Crab with Ginger and Green Onion (薑蔥蟹)

Dungeness crab is in season. Live crab is on sale for only US$2.49 a pound. Can't miss this opportunity to make some crab dishes at home. Cooking live crab is a little bit of work, but the reward of eating fresh and sweet crab meat is well worth it.

Picture of the finished dish:

gallery_19795_2222_21844.jpg

Serving Suggestion: 2 to 3

Preparations:

The general rule for serving suggestion is 1 crab per person.

gallery_19795_2222_30434.jpg

Main ingredients: (From right to left) 2 live Dungeness crabs, about 3.5 lb. Garlic, about 5 to 6 cloves. Ginger, about 3 inches in length. Green onions, about 10 stalks (small ones).

gallery_19795_2222_5286.jpg

"... You want a piece of me? You want a piece of me??? Come and get it!"

gallery_19795_2222_9117.jpg

Live crabs are dangerous. Their claws can make a painful pinch on your fingers and their legs are pointy. You need to know how to handle them safely. You may want to ask the fish mungers to clean and cut them for you. I like to keep my crabs alive until cooking time.

To hold a live crab safely, you need to grab it from the back so that their claws cannot reach you, as shown in the picture.

gallery_19795_2222_29518.jpg

Where my knife is pointing to is the tail of a crab. After you kill the crab, you need to unroll its tail and break it off.

gallery_19795_2222_24201.jpg

To kill a live crab, point your knife right underneath its mouth. Push the knief in by a few inches. Jiggle it a little bit. (You may need to use the left hand to hold down the crab while operating the knife with your right hand.) Remove the knife. Use your left thumb to poke into the hole cut opened by your knife and hold the crab bottom with the rest of your left palm. Lift it up. Use your right hand to grab the main shell. Tear the shell apart from the rest of its body.

gallery_19795_2222_27345.jpg

There are a few unedible parts (shown with red circles). The 2 circles on each side are the gills. Remove and discard. The lower circle around the mouth are also unedible. Use the knife to break some of the shells and remove the organs. The white curly part (upper small circle) are also some internal organs. Remove and discard. Anything that doesn't look like crab meat, remove and discard. Rinse under running water.

gallery_19795_2222_18442.jpg

If you like to keep the main shell for plating, use a small tooth brush to clean the crab hair underneath the main shell. Be sure you remove and discard the white cloudy substance inside the shell.

gallery_19795_2222_2094.jpg

Cut the crab body into 2 halves right in the middle. Then twist off the claws and legs. Use the knife to cut off the big piece. Use a kitchen mallet or the handle of your cleaver to crack the shells before cooking.

gallery_19795_2222_31421.jpg

Same treatment for the second victim. Prepare the other ingredients: Green onions - trim ends and cut at about 1 inch in length. Ginger: peel and cut into thin slices. Garlic: minced.

Cooking Instructions:

gallery_19795_2222_22055.jpg

First: velvet the crab in hot oil.

Use a pan/wok, set stove at high, add a generous 10 tblsp of cooking/frying oil. Wait until oil start fuming.

gallery_19795_2222_6977.jpg

Use a small bowl and add about 10 tsp of corn starch. Dust the crab meat with corn starch.

gallery_19795_2222_15603.jpg

Place the pieces on the pan and fry the crab pieces for about 3 to 5 minutes.

gallery_19795_2222_343.jpg

Only need to use corn starch to dust the exposed crab meat outside the shell. When done, remove the crab pieces from pan and drain excess oil.

gallery_19795_2222_1789.jpg

I need to cook the crab in 2 batches. I tossed in the 2 crab shells (upside down) to cook. (It's optional. Only if you care to eat it or use it for plating.) Remove from pan when done.

gallery_19795_2222_19426.jpg

Start with a clean wok/pan. Add 3 tblsp of cooking oil. Wait until oil starts fuming. Add minced garlic, sliced ginger and half of the chopped green onions (white portion only). Add 1/2 tsp of salt (or to taste).

gallery_19795_2222_37088.jpg

Dash in 3 tsp of ShaoHsing cooking wine. (Can't go wrong with going heavy on the cooking wine with this dish.) Let it induce a quick flame. Stir well. Cook for 30 seconds.

gallery_19795_2222_16314.jpg

Add 1/2 cup of chicken broth, 3 to 4 tsp of oyster sauce. Stir. Bring the mixture to a boil. Add the remaining portion of the green onions.

gallery_19795_2222_12084.jpg

Use corn starch slurry to thicken the sauce. (Suggest 2 tsp of corn starch dissolved in 2 tsp of water.) Adjust and make the sauce to the right consistency.

gallery_19795_2222_24140.jpg

Return the crab and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.

gallery_19795_2222_25805.jpg

Stir. Make sure each piece is coated with the sauce.

gallery_19795_2222_21844.jpg

Finished. Transfer to a serving plate.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Beautiful and delicious as usual hzrt8w. It appears that you have "boy" crabs. Could you elaborate on what you leave behind in the main shell? Is the golden brownish substance the crab liver? Any other parts kept? In this part of the USA the blue crab is king/queen and I assume that they're pretty similar inside, am I right?

As for prepping them live, I have to say NO WAY! The only live crabs I prep live are softshells since they're too soft to fight back. :biggrin:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Hrmm... interesting, I've never heard of disassembling a crab raw before. Usually, I will steam them, then rip them apart. Do you find it's easier/harder to do it raw?

PS: I am a guy.

It's a good idea to leave the rubber bands on the crab claws until after it takes it's last gasp of air... :rolleyes:

Last summer was the first time I'd ever cut up a live crab. One of our elders instructed me to insert a wooden chopstick into its mouth. It's safer than a knife and delivers the same effect. Also, you can use the chopstick, still in its mouth, as a lever to separate the shell from the body.

Another hint is to put the crabs into the freezer for about an hour. This "lulls them to sleep" if you are squeamish (they don't fight back as much).

The idea of dissembling the crab before cooking is to let the flavours get right into the meat as it cooks. It's quicker using pre-cooked crab, but then, I'd want to dip it in garlic butter!

We had a discussing about the "brown stuff" in another thread. Can't recall the name for this. It's my sister's favourite. I ate it for the first time last year and it's good!

Ginger, green onions, garlic and wine are essential in stir-frying crab. I like adding dow cee and Thia chilis to the crab...messy to eat but so good! :wub:

One of our stores will steam the crab or lobster for you while you shop. Dungeness are selling at 4.98/lb. I've been waiting for a quiet evening to have a seafood feast. Tonight might be a good time as our daughter is finished exams. Hooray! She's human again. :laugh:

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Best pictorial I've ever seen on disecting a crab. Thank You.

[...]  It appears that you have "boy" crabs.  Could you elaborate on what you leave behind in the main shell?  Is the golden brownish substance the crab liver?  Any other parts kept?  In this part of the USA the blue crab is king/queen and I assume that they're pretty similar inside, am I right?

As for prepping them live, I have to say NO WAY!  The only live crabs I prep live are softshells since they're too soft to fight back. :biggrin:

Thank you, divalasvegas. I was afraid that this question would be brought up. :unsure: I don't know how to tell the "boy" and "girl" crabs apart. It does make sense. The only thing I left behind was the golden brownish/greenish substance. I don't know enough about the anatomy of exoskeletal animals and don't exactly know what it is. Perhaps someone can enlighten us. When I ordered crabs in Chinese restaurants (made the same way), I love to eat this greenish/brownish paste under the shell. When I made this dish the other night, I might have over-velveted the shells. The paste turned very bitter and I ended up not eating much of it.

Handling a live Dungeness is not too hard, actually. Like Dejah said, you can slow them down - putting them to sleep - by putting them in the freezer for an hour before you process them.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

Hrmm... interesting, I've never heard of disassembling a crab raw before. Usually, I will steam them, then rip them apart. Do you find it's easier/harder to do it raw?

This is when we Chinese show off our warriorship, Shalmanese! I am only kidding... :biggrin:

Live crabs are not that hard to handle, really. Even when they are putting in their final struggle, we humans always have the upperhand - we have sharp knives. Just grab the crab from the back end so it can't hurt us. To make this Cantonese dish, we don't steam the crabs separately to preserve the flavor.

Ah Leung:

You have done it again: This photo recipe is the clearest, best method of cleaning, butchering and preparing Crab that I have ever seen anywhere.

For other readers information: Only Male Dungeness Crabs are permitted to be kept anywhere on the Pacific Coast. The Lady's are allowed freedom to continue seducing vulnerable males who apparently are attracted to every lady they meet so we may all enjoy eating Crab. I sometimes feel sorry for all the Male Crabs that never got lucky, but then I'm only a male. I do justify myself by eating only female Lobsters.

The same method of cleaning and preparing Crab illustrated is applicable to every Crab Species, and I have never seen a Crab that didn't taste good.

Maybe next time Ah Leung will prepare Crab with Black Bean Sauce and Chilli's as it's perfect for the winter when prices are low enough everyone can afford this delicacy.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

[...]  It appears that you have "boy" crabs.  Could you elaborate on what you leave behind in the main shell?  Is the golden brownish substance the crab liver?  Any other parts kept?  In this part of the USA the blue crab is king/queen and I assume that they're pretty similar inside, am I right?

As for prepping them live, I have to say NO WAY!  The only live crabs I prep live are softshells since they're too soft to fight back. :biggrin:

Thank you, divalasvegas. I was afraid that this question would be brought up. :unsure: I don't know how to tell the "boy" and "girl" crabs apart. It does make sense. The only thing I left behind was the golden brownish/greenish substance. I don't know enough about the anatomy of exoskeletal animals and don't exactly know what it is. Perhaps someone can enlighten us. When I ordered crabs in Chinese restaurants (made the same way), I love to eat this greenish/brownish paste under the shell. When I made this dish the other night, I might have over-velveted the shells. The paste turned very bitter and I ended up not eating much of it.

Handling a live Dungeness is not too hard, actually. Like Dejah said, you can slow them down - putting them to sleep - by putting them in the freezer for an hour before you process them.

Thanks again hzrt8w for your wonderful pics and explanations of your recipes. I'd like to know how to adapt what you've shown us so far to create a crab dish with chili sauce. Anyway the link below shows what I mean by "boy" crab as opposed to "girl" crab. In these parts the part that identifies the male is often called the "monument" after the Washington Monument while the females are called the "Capitol" after our US Capitol. The "gooshy" stuff in the male, at least to my understanding is the liver, while in the female it's the roe. I enjoy eating them both.

Blue Crab Gender Identification

As for the Maryland/Chesapeake Bay blue crabs I grew up with, it's pretty easy to tell them apart. The boys are called "jimmies" and the girls have "aprons" and are called "sallies," at least that's what I was told to call them. I have a friend who lives in the same area as I do but who grew up in North Carolina (poor thing: my family is from Virginia and South Carolina) :biggrin: who has told me on numerous occasions that she and her family would clean live blue crabs before steaming. Again we NEVER did this when I was growing up since blue crabs can be very fiesty, nasty critters and would show your fingers and knuckles no mercy! :shock:

Take care.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Thank you for the additional information about male/female crabs, divalasvegas and wesza.

After reading that article, it is very obvious that the 2 crabs I bought were both males. And wesza's explanations made a lot of sense. I remember cooking Dungeness crabs bought from San Francisco China Town in the late 80's and remember having crabs with roes in the belly. But not in recent years.

As for chili crabs: I had that dish in Singapore once (along with curry crabs). Both were excellent. I had tried to reproduce chili crabs only once. First prepare the crab and velvet the pieces in oil as depicted in this post. To season: heat up some cooking oil, add lots of minced garlic, a bit of salt. Add minced (or sliced) fresh chili, some Chinese hot chili sauce (a little bit sour based). Dash in cooking wine and a bit of white vinegar. Then add a bit of broth and 1/2 to 1 small can of tomato sauce (depending how dry/wet you want this dish). If needed, thicken the sauce with corn starch slurry. Return the crab pieces and cook for a few more minutes.

Chili crabs are rarely offered in Cantonese restaurants. (Actually I have never seen it on the menus of the Cantonese restaurants that I had visited.)

Elsethread on eG is a topic on Licking the Pot, fuggetaboutit! We're talking serious Lick the Screen for this one. It really looks amazing, hzrt8w!

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Wow. Another very impressive pictorial. Now that it's winter break from school and I'll have some free time, I'm going to have to try some of these dishes.

I don't think I'll be trying anything with live crabs, though. I'm afraid of injuring myself, but the real reason is that it just seems like it would be too messy to clean up after such an endeavor in my home kitchen. Sometimes I really miss the giant prep tables we had in the restaurant....

Jennie

Thank you for the additional information about male/female crabs, divalasvegas and wesza.

After reading that article, it is very obvious that the 2 crabs I bought were both males. And wesza's explanations made a lot of sense. I remember cooking Dungeness crabs bought from San Francisco China Town in the late 80's and remember having crabs with roes in the belly. But not in recent years.

As for chili crabs: I had that dish in Singapore once (along with curry crabs). Both were excellent. I had tried to reproduce chili crabs only once. First prepare the crab and velvet the pieces in oil as depicted in this post. To season: heat up some cooking oil, add lots of minced garlic, a bit of salt. Add minced (or sliced) fresh chili, some Chinese hot chili sauce (a little bit sour based). Dash in cooking wine and a bit of white vinegar. Then add a bit of broth and 1/2 to 1 small can of tomato sauce (depending how dry/wet you want this dish). If needed, thicken the sauce with corn starch slurry. Return the crab pieces and cook for a few more minutes.

Chili crabs are rarely offered in Cantonese restaurants. (Actually I have never seen it on the menus of the Cantonese restaurants that I had visited.)

Thanks so much for the chili crab recipe hrzt8w. I'll have to try it. I think you mentioned $2.49/lb for Dungeness crabs; what a bargain that would be here. You really made my day! :smile: Well you and the local football team:

Washington 35, Dallas 7.

Yes indeed, today is a very good day :biggrin:

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Ah Leung:

Crab with Black Bean Sauce and Chili is almost as popular as Crab with Ginger and Green Onion in the Cantonese restaurants in Hong Kong, Seattle and New York. I have eaten it in San Francisco and LA as well, but not Sacramento.

The "Chili Crab" is a Singapore/Malay specialty that is made by a very different recipe, also very lively and delicious.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

[...]Ginger, green onions, garlic and wine are essential in stir-frying crab. I like adding dow cee and Thia chilis to the crab...messy to eat but so good! :wub: [...]

Sue-On, what's dow cee?

Yet another great pictorial, Ah Leung! And I love this dish.

dow see is Chinese fermented black beans, used for flavoring, as in dow see pai gwut (steamed pork ribs with black bean sauce).

edited to add: My apologies for stepping in, Pan & Dejah.

FYI Here's one of several discussion threads about Dungeness crab.

Edited by rjwong (log)

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Crab with Black Bean Sauce and Chili is almost as popular as Crab with Ginger and Green Onion in the Cantonese restaurants in Hong Kong, Seattle and New York. I have eaten it in San Francisco and LA as well, but not Sacramento.

spaghetttti: Lick the screen... ha ha ha... LOL. Your words made my day!

Irwin: Sorry I have misunderstood you. <<<Smacking my head>>> Of course! Crab with Black Bean Sauce and Chili. I had this at Zen Peninsula in Millbrae for the 8th moon 15th day dinner. Traditionally the Black Bean Sauce dishes in Cantonese cooking are quite saucey. This crab dish, however, is very dry. Almost no sauce at all. Kind of like "dry black bean and chili".

We can make that too. Prepare the crab and velvet the pieces in oil as depicted in the earlier post. (Assume 2 Dungeness crabs.)

To season: Heat up the pan/wok over high heat. Add 3 tblsp of cooking oil. Add 5 to 6 cloves of garlic, minced. 1 to 2 fresh chili, sliced or finely chopped. Grated ginger (or finely chopped), about 1 to 2 inch in length. 1/2 tsp of salt (go heavier on this one). 4 to 5 tsp of fermented black beans - no need to rinse, just crush them. Stir. Dash in 3 tsp of ShaoHsing cooking wine. Add a little bit of chicken broth (not too much, unless you want this dish saucey. If you do so, use corn starch slurry to thicken the sauce.) Return the crab pieces and cook for a few minutes. Ready.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

Great illustrations! I've always deep-fried the crab, but shallow frying seems much more practical. I usually use bigger crabs, but it's a messy business, the whole thing, best done outside.

I just licked the monitor and the keyboard. Want me to go for the CPU?

Edited by AzianBrewer (log)

Leave the gun, take the canoli

dow see is Chinese fermented black beans, used for flavoring, as in dow see pai gwut (steamed pork ribs with black bean sauce).

edited to add: My apologies for stepping in, Pan & Dejah.

FYI Here's one of several discussion threads about Dungeness crab.

Russell,

No need to apologize. That's what so great about the forum: we can all step in to help. :smile:

The page you linked to is very informative. I just copied the "Pan-Roasted Salt & Pepper Crab With Ginger" recipe, and was reminded that the brown stuff we've been talking about is called tomally

Your one post solved two mysteries! :biggrin:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

That was a fantastic tutorial for one of my favorite Chinese restaurant dishes.

My #1 favorite, something I cannot go a week without at one particular restaurant, is called Szechuan crab. It comes plated with a ton of dried red chilis and peanuts (oh, are the peanuts GOOD!), and I can tell there is szechuan peppercorn in the dish. Beyond that, I have always wondered what is in it, and if it is a dish commonly found in other restaurants either in the US or China. Does anyone know anything more about it?

If somebody wants my mom's chilli crab recipe, I'll volunteer to take pics and write down the recipe as she makes it--since she makes it by taste--the next time. Which will be soon I hope--I love crab.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

If somebody wants my mom's chilli crab recipe, I'll volunteer to take pics and write down the recipe as she makes it[...]

miladyinsanity: I would love to see her chili crab recipe. Please take some pictures and share.

I will, when she cooks it. We have crab on the table when there's crab at the market, and it's the monsoon season, so it's not often. Sad, but true.

May--loves seafood of any kind

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      An old friend from England contacted me yesterday via Facebook with a couple of questions about Five Spice Powder.

Thought there me be some interest here, too.

Is there anything more typically Chinese than five spice powder (五香粉 - wǔ xiāng fěn)?

Well, yes. A lot.

Many years ago, I worked in an office overlooking London’s China town. By around 11 am, the restaurants started getting lunch ready and the smell of FSP blanketed the area for the rest of the day. When I moved to China, I didn’t smell that. Only when I first visited Hong Kong, did I find that smell again.

In fact, FSP is relatively uncommon in most of Chinese cuisine. And if I ever see another internet recipe called “Chinese” whatever, which is actually any random food, but the genius behind it has added FSP, supposedly rendering it Chinese, I’ll scream.

I get all sorts of smells wafting through the neighbourhood. Some mouth-watering; some horrifying. But I don't recall ever that they were FSP.

But what is it anyway? Which five spices?

Today, I bought four samples in four local supermarkets. I would have would have preferred five, but couldn’t find any more. It's not that popular.

First thing to say: none of them had five spices. All had more. That is normal. Numbers in Chinese can often be vague. Every time you hear a number, silently added the word ‘about’ or ‘approximately’. 100 km means “far”, 10,000 means “many”.

Second, while there are some common factors, ingredients can vary quite a bit. Here are my four.

Ingredients – 7

Star Anise, Fennel Seed, Orange Peel, Cassia Bark, Sand Ginger, Dried Ginger, Sichuan Peppercorns.

Ingredients – 6

Cassia Bark, Star Anise, Fennel Seed, Coriander, Sichuan Peppercorn, Licorice Root.

Ingredients – 15

Fennel Seeds, Sichuan Peppercorns, Coriander, Tangerine Peel, Star Anise, Chinese Haw, Cassia Bark, Lesser Galangal, Dahurian Angelica, Nutmeg, Dried Ginger, Black Pepper, Amomum Villosum, Cumin Seeds, Cloves.

Ingredients – 6

Pepper (unspecified – probably black pepper), Sichuan Peppercorns, Star Anise, Fennel Seeds, Nutmeg, Cassia.

So, take your pick. They all taste and smell almost overwhelmingly of the star anise and cassia, although there are subtle differences in taste in the various mixes.

But I don’t expect to find it in many dishes in local restaurants or homes. A quick, unscientific poll of about ten friends today revealed that not one has any at home, nor have they ever used the stuff!

I'm not suggesting that FSP shouldn't be used outside of Chinese food. Please just don't call the results Chinese when you sprinkle it on your fish and chips or whatever. They haven't miraculously become Chinese!

Like my neighbours and friends, I very rarely use it at all.

In fact, I'd be delighted to hear how it is used in other cultures / cuisines.
    • By liuzhou
      For the last several years Cindy's* job has been to look after me. She takes care of my residence papers, my health insurance, my travel, my housing and associated repairs. She makes sure that I am supplied with sufficient cold beer at official banquets. And she does it all with terrific efficiency and great humour.

This weekend she held her wedding banquet.

Unlike in the west, this isn't held immediately after the marriage is formalised. In fact, she was legally married months ago. But the banquet is the symbolic, public declaration and not the soul-less civil servant stamping of papers that the legal part entails.
      So tonight, along with a few hundred other people, I rolled up to a local hotel at the appointed time. In my pocket was my 'hong bao' or red envelope in which I had deposited a suitable cash gift. That is the Chinese wedding gift protocol. You don't get 12 pop-up toasters here.

I handed it over, then settled down, at a table with colleagues, to a 17 or 18 course dinner.

Before we started, I spotted this red bedecked jar. Shaking, poking and sniffing revealed nothing.

A few minutes later, a waitress turned up and opened and emptied the jar into a serving dish. Spicy pickled vegetables. Very vinegary, very hot, and very addictive. Allegedly pickled on the premises, this was just to amuse us as we waited for the real stuff to arrive.

Then the serious stuff arrived. When I said 17 courses, I really meant 17 dishes. Chinese cuisine doesn't really do courses. Every thing is served at roughly the same time. But we had:

Quail soup which I neglected to photograph.

Roast duck

Braised turtle

Sticky rice with beef (the beef is lurking underneath)

Steamed chicken

Spicy, crispy shell-on prawns.

Steamed pork belly slices with sliced taro

Spicy squid

Noodles

Chinese Charcuterie (including ducks jaws (left) and duck hearts (right))

Mixed vegetables

Fish

Cakes

Fertility soup! This allegedly increases your fertility and ensures the first born (in China, only born) is a son. Why they are serving to me is anyone's guess. It would make more sense for the happy couple to drink the lot.

Greenery

Jiaozi

There was a final serving of quartered oranges, but I guess you have seen pictures of oranges before.

The happy couple. I wish them well.

*Cindy is the English name she has adopted. Her Chinese name is more than usually difficult to pronounce. Many Chinese friends consider it a real tongue-twister.
    • By liuzhou
      A few days ago, I was given a lovely gift. A big jar of preserved lemons.

I know Moroccan preserved lemons, but had never met Chinese ones. In fact, apart from in the south, in many parts of China it isn't that easy to find lemons, at all.

These are apparently a speciality of the southern Zhuang minority of Wuming County near Nanning. The Zhuang people are the largest ethnic minority in China and most live in Guangxi. These preserved lemons feature in their diet and are usually eaten with congee (rice porridge). Lemon Duck is a local speciality and they are also served with fish. They can be served as a relish, too. They are related to the Vietnamese Chanh muối.

I'm told that these particular lemons have been soaking in salt and lemon juice for eleven years!

So, of course, you want to know what they taste like. Incredibly lemony. Concentrated lemonness. Sour, but not unpleasantly so. Also a sort of smoky flavour.

The following was provided by my dear friend 马芬洲 (Ma Fen Zhou) who is herself Zhuang. It is posted with her permission.

How to Make Zhuang Preserved Lemons
      By 马芬洲

Zhuang preserved lemons is a kind of common food for the southern Zhuang ethnic minority who live around Nanning Prefecture of Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region in China. The Zhuang people like to make it as a relish for eating with congee or congee with corn powder. This relish is a mixture of chopped preserved lemons, red chilli and garlic or ginger slice in soy sauce and peanut oil or sesame oil.

Sometimes the Zhuang people use preserved lemons as an ingredient in cooking. The most famous Zhuang food in Guangxi is Lemon Duck, which is a common home cooked dish in Wuming County, which belongs to Nanning Prefecture.

The following steps show you how to make Zhuang preserved lemons.

Step 1 Shopping
      Buy some green lemons.

Step 2 Cleaning
      Wash green lemons.

Step 3 Sunning
      Leave green lemons under the sunshine till it gets dry.

Step 4 Salting
      If you salt 5kg green lemons, mix 0.25kg salt with green lemons. Keep the salted green lemons in a transparent jar. The jar must be well sealed. Leave the jar under the sunshine till the salted green lemons turn yellow. For example, leave it on the balcony. Maybe it will take months to wait for those salted green lemons to turn yellow. Later, get the jar of salted yellow lemons back. Unseal the jar. Then cover 1kg salt over the salted yellow lemons. Seal well the jar again.

Step 5 Preserving
      Keep the sealed jar of salted yellow lemons at least 3 years. And the colour of salted yellow lemons will turn brown day by day. It can be dark brown later. The longer you keep preserved lemons, the better taste it is. If you eat it earlier than 2 years, it will taste bitter. After 3 years, it can be unsealed. Please use clean chopsticks to pick it. Don’t use oily chopsticks, or the oil will make preserved lemons go bad. Remember to seal the jar well after picking preserved lemons every time.
    • By liuzhou
      Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region in southern China, where I live, is sugar central for the country. Over two-thirds of China's output of sugar is grown right here, making it one of the largest sugar production areas on the planet. I have a second home in the countryside and it is surrounded by sugar cane fields.

Much of this is produced by small time farmers, although huge Chinese and international companies have also moved in.

Also, sugar is used extensively in Chinese cooking, not only as a sweetener, but more as a spice. A little added to a savoury dish can bring out otherwise hidden flavours. It also has medicinal attributes according to traditional Chinese medicine.

Supermarkets have what was to me, on first sight, a huge range of sugars, some almost unrecognisable. Here is a brief introduction to some of them. Most sugar is sold loose, although corner shops and mom 'n pop stores may have pre-packed bags. These are often labelled in English as "candy", the Chinese language not differentiating between "sugar" and "candy" - always a source of confusion. Both are 糖 (táng),

IMPORTANT NOTE: The Chinese names given here and in the images are the names most used locally. They are all Mandarin Chinese, but it is still possible that other names may be used elsewhere in China. Certainly, non-Mandarin speaking areas will be different.

By the far the simplest way to get your sugar ration is to buy the unprocessed sugar cane. This is not usually available in supermarkets but is a street vendor speciality. In the countryside, you can buy it at the roadside. There are also people in markets etc with portable juice extractors who will sell you a cup of pure sugar cane juice.

I remember being baffled then amused when, soon after I first arrived in China, someone asked me if I wanted some 甘蔗 (gān zhè). It sounded exactly like 'ganja' or cannabis. No such luck! 甘蔗 (gān zhè) is 'sugar cane'.

The most common sugar in the supermarkets seems to be 冰糖 (bīng táng) which literally means 'ice 'sugar' and is what we tend to call 'rock sugar' or 'crystal sugar'. This highly refined sugar comes in various lump sizes although the price remains the same no matter if the pieces are large or small. Around ¥7/500g. That pictured below features the smaller end of the range.

Related to this is what is known as 冰片糖 (bīng piàn táng) which literally means "ice slice sugar". This is usually slightly less processed (although I have seen a white version, but not recently) and is usually a pale brown to yellow colour. This may be from unprocessed cane sugar extract, but is often white sugar coloured and flavoured with added molasses. It is also sometimes called 黄片糖  (huáng piàn táng) or "yellow slice sugar". ¥6.20/500g.

A less refined, much darker version is known as 红片糖 (hóng piàn táng), literally 'red slice sugar'. (Chinese seems to classify colours differently - what we know as 'black tea' is 'red tea' here. ¥7.20/500g.

Of course, what we probably think of as regular sugar, granulated sugar is also available. Known as 白砂糖 (bái shā táng), literally "white sand sugar', it is the cheapest at  ¥3.88/500g.

A brown powdered sugar is also common, but again, in Chinese, it isn't brown. It's red and simply known as 红糖 (hóng táng). ¥7.70/500g

Enough sweetness and light for now. More to come tomorrow.
    • By Dejah
      [Host's note: This topic forms part of an extended discussion which grew too large for our servers to handle efficiently.  The conversation continues from here.]

Supper: Yeem Gok Gai:

Mock Fried Rice - grated cauliflower

Baby Shanghai Bok Choy and ginger