• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Licking the pot

fifi

I have noticed that the "new" silicone spoon-shaped spatula/scrapers (spoonulas?) hold onto a lot more batter, frosting, whatever, that the old type rubber ones.  In fact, everything seems to cling like glue to the silicone.  Unless you put it aside for licking, you actually have to use something else to scrape it all off the silicone.  The reason I got them was they were supposed to be "cling-free" as well as high temp safe..........

And the reason you reach for them every time, is because they're not "cling-free", right? :laugh:

My favorite pot to lick is the one in which I make lemon curd. Oh, man! Lemon pie filling is a close second, and chocolate pie filling brings up a nice third. After that, any old frosting or cake or cookie batter will do.

Last pot I licked clean (with the help of a spatula) was some fudge I made with my niece. The silly girl passed on it when I offered to her.

Ain't nothing as good as the remains of still warm gooey fudge scraped out of the pot. :wub:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Yesterday I decided that, having had no time for baking lately, I'd make up for it by making all 9 variations of Christmas cookies featured in the latest issue of Fine Cooking. The premise is that with 3 basic doughs you can make 9 types of cookies. As the day progressed I had the mixer, both bowls, the food processor, the Ultimate Chopper, and various baking sheets, bowls, knives and spatulas occupying every flat surface in the kitchen. Based on that experience, I nominate Alice Medrich's basic almond cookie dough as the ultimate bowl-licking, spatula-scraping cookie dough of all time, with her cocoa cookie dough in close second. (This sounds like heresy from a die-hard Toll-House cookie fan, but there it is.) I had a hard time trying to decide whether to lick first - but then I'd have to wash everything before starting the next batch - or wait until all the mixing was finished, understanding that there's be some cross-breeding between the batches. I finally realized that I had enough bowls and spatulas that it wasn't a dilemma at all.

The strangest thing of all for me was realizing that I liked the cookie batter even better than the Nestle's chocolate chips that went into some of it. I hope I'm not ailing.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I've been to known to lick plates and bowls directly with my tongue when noone is around. It can leave your tongue sore the next day, but I consider it a workout!

Yeah, I do that too.

My mom has a picture of me when I was about five with my face in a box of ice cream. (I call it the "let's embarass Karen in front of her date picture.") Not that I've changed much since then. Now I also lick the churn whenever I make a batch. And those silicon spatulas are really good at cleaning out the bowl. It's surprising that some actually makes it into the container.

Here's a picture of my brother that I took this Thanksgiving. He absconded with the gravy pan down to the basement where he can "clean" it in privacy. He'd kill me if he knew I posted this up on the net, so I protected his identity. :laugh:

gallery_20544_2100_61987.jpg

edited because I can't type.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Yesterday I decided that, having had no time for baking lately, I'd make up for it by making all 9 variations of Christmas cookies featured in the latest issue of Fine Cooking.  The premise is that with 3 basic doughs you can make 9 types of cookies.  As the day progressed I had the mixer, both bowls, the food processor, the Ultimate Chopper, and various baking sheets, bowls, knives and spatulas occupying every flat surface in the kitchen.  Based on that experience, I nominate Alice Medrich's basic almond cookie dough as the ultimate bowl-licking, spatula-scraping cookie dough of all time, with her cocoa cookie dough in close second. (This sounds like heresy from a die-hard Toll-House cookie fan, but there it is.) I had a hard time trying to decide whether to lick first - but then I'd have to wash everything before starting the next batch - or wait until all the mixing was finished, understanding that there's be some cross-breeding between the batches.  I finally realized that I had enough bowls and spatulas that it wasn't a dilemma at all. 

The strangest thing of all for me was realizing that I liked the cookie batter even better than the Nestle's chocolate chips that went into some of it.  I hope I'm not ailing.

The cocoa cookie dough I usually make for the holidays is a lot like Tootsie Rolls before they are flattened and baked using one method that doesn't require rolling out and cutting.

I have had people help themselves to the raw dough and suggest that I omit the baking, just wrap up the little pieces.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

yesterday it was my blender... i used a thin spatula, i swear!! but those last little clingy bits of the PIMENTO CHEESE i made just were right for my fingers to liberate from the nooks and crannies of the blender and blade :wub:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Made duck confit for the first time ever the other day.

After straining the hot fat back over the meat, I toasted some lard bread (from the neighborhood Italian bakery) and sopped up the salty, greasy fond at the bottom of the pot.

Man, was that good!

I thought about it for the rest of the day. :biggrin:

you can never have enough fat.

Whenever I make cheese sauce--which is about once a week, I estimate--you can bet that after I've poured it over/into whatever it is I'm adding it to, I run my finger around the pot to swab up every last bit for eating.

I also do the same on those much less frequent occasions when I mix up pancake batter.

And I'm also a shameless taste-while-mixing sauce/condiment maker. I try to remember to use a separate spoon from the one I use for the mixing, though.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3