• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: SobaAddict70 - Of Professional Hobbits and Food

Sorry for not updating this.

Weekends I tend to turn into a pumpkin and only come up for air Sunday evenings, when it's time for me to step back into the real world (aka the rest of the week).

Saturday was spent cleaning the house and being domestic, and such. I had my usual whey shake on getting up, followed by an omelette (4 egg whites to one whole egg), some whole wheat toast, some diced melon and a glass of Lactaid. The salsa had mellowed slightly overnight, so I spiked it just a little more with chipotle Tabasco.

Weekends tend to focus more on liquid food than during the week. I had a couple more whey shakes during the day, and a glass of Opticen (see the link I posted to At Large Nutrition earlier in the blog for details). Opticen is a rather calorie-dense packed drink, kind of like a weight-gainer and definitely qualified for one meal. I added a few tablespoons of natty pb and some dry milk powder to fortify that. Then it was off to the gym for my favorite (really!) day: wheelz (legs to all y'all non-meatheads :wink:) and abdominal work.

Dinner was chirashi sushi (sashimi over Japanese rice), miso soup and oshinko (Japanese pickled vegetables). It was the same Thai takeout place near my apartment, except they also do Japanese food. :blink: It's called Wasabi Boy, for those of you who live in LIC. (On a scale of 1 to 10, Wasabi Boy merits a 5. Not bad, but it's definitely quite a few steps below Jewel Bako.)

Finished up with a huge bowl of cottage cheese before bed.

Sunday tends to be my cheat day. Brunch and dinner tonight made up for a week of relatively alien food -- well, alien to most people on eGullet, that is -- and proved to be immensely satisfying. I'm getting ahead of myself however.

Breakfast #1: cottage cheese and a peach, whey shake (with Lactaid).

Brunch: I made brunch for my roommate and some friends: spinach and Gruyere omelette, home fries, seared scallops and roasted cauliflower flan. I had roasted the cauliflower Saturday afternoon and it was a simple matter of prepping early this morning.

I had a glass of Opticen halfway this afternoon, along with a small (relatively) bowl of cottage cheese topped with Mrs. Dash.

And then, there was dinner. (See next post.)

Before I get to tonight's dinner, here is the current menu for Otto Enoteca Pizzeria:

Antipasti

Carne

$9 each/ $25 all

Prosciutto

Testa

Coppa

Pancetta

Toscana

Insalata

$8 each

Arugula with tomato

Sformato di parmigiano tricolore

Romaine & red onion

Artichokes "alla Romana" caprese

Pesce

$8 each/ $21 all

Octopus, celery, lovage

King fish "in saor"

Calamari, potatoes, chiles

Anchovies, breadcrumbs, scallions

Mussels, peperonata, mint

Pizza Otto

Bianca (7)

Olive oil, sea salt

Otto Lardo (13)

Lardo

Aglio, Olio & Peperoncino (9)

Garlic, olive oil, fresh chiles

Fennel & Bottarga (14)

Tomato, raw fennel, bottarga, pecorino, mozzarella

Funghi & Taleggio (12)

Mushroom, taleggio

Potato, Anchovy, & Ricotta (11)

Pane Frattau (13)

Tomato, pecorino, egg

Swiss Chard & Goat Cheese (13)

Vongole (14)

Clams, garlic, mozzarella

Pizza Classica

Marinara (9)

Tomato, garlic, chiles

Napoletana (10)

Tomato, anchovy, capers, olives

Romana (10)

Tomato, anchovy, capers, chiles, mozzarella

Quattro Formaggi (14)

Tomato, mozzarella, taleggio, cacio, ricotta

Margherita D.O.C. (10)

Tomato, buffalo mozzarella, basil

Quattro Stagioni (14)

Tomato, mozzarella, Swiss chard, mushroom, prosciutto cotto, peppers

Pepperoni (14)

Tomato, spicy salami, cacio, mozzarella

Prosciutto Arugula (13)

Tomato, cacio, mozzarella, crudo, arugula

Verdura

$4 each

Eggplant caponatina

Warm house-cured olives

Funghi misti

Cauliflower "alla Siciliana"

Cardoons with bagna cauda

Figs "Agrodolce"

Roasted peppers & capers

Broccoli & pecorino

Roasted beets & saba

Brussels sprouts & Vin Cotto

Olives ($4 each/ $9 all) -- Gaeta, Sicilian, Alfonso

Pasta

$9 each

Penne con Noci e Zucca

Hazelnuts, butternut squash, smoked ricotta

Pasta alla Norma

Tomato, roasted eggplant, basil, buffala ricotta

Spaghetti alla Carbonara

Pancetta, scallions, black pepper, egg

Penne Puttanesca

Anchovies, capers, olives, chiles, roasted tomato

Linguini con Le Cozze

Mussels, saffron, marjoram

Spaghetti alla Gricia

Guanciale, onion, black pepper

Linguine Siciliani

Zucchini, fresh chiles, mint, bottarga

Formaggi

3 cheeses (10)

5 cheeses (14)

7 cheeses (18)

Ricotta (cow, Connecticut)

Coach Triple Cream (goat, New York)

Baita Friuli (cow, Friuli)

Bra Tenero (cow, Piedmonte)

Parmagiano Reggiano (cow, Emilia-Romagna)

Canestrato (sheep, Puglia)

Pecorino di Fossa (sheep, Emilia-Romagna)

Aged Peppercorn (goat, New York)

Taleggio (cow, Lombardy)

Gorgonzola Dolce (cow, Lombardy)

Dolci

Olive Oil Coppetta (8)

Olive oil gelato, Seville orange marmalade, blood orange granita, Capezzana olive oil, pomegranate & Maldon sea salt

Black & White (8)

Milk chocolate chip gelato, creme fraiche gelato, caramel crema & chocolate hazelnut sauce

Ricotta Coppetta (8)

Bufala ricotta gelato, Concord grape sorbet, roasted figs & pignoli rosemary brittle

Baba A Rum (8.50)

Buttermilk gelato, rum maple syrup & spiced walnuts

Pumpkin Coppetta (8)

Spice cake, pumpkin gelato, whipped mascarpone & candied pecans

Affogato (7)

Vanilla gelato with a shot of espresso

Chocolate Budino (4.50)

Chocolate pudding & whipped cream

Brioche (3.50)

(with Nutella, $4)

Choice of one flavor on a sweet brioche

Assorted Biscotti (5)

Gelati & Sorbetti

One, two or three flavors -- $7

With warm chocolate sauce -- $2

Vanilla

Caramel

Olive oil

Chocolate

Buttermilk

Pumpkin

Hazelnut stracciatella

Pistachio

Milk chocolate chip

Bufala ricotta

Roasted cinnamon

Concord grape sorbet

Lemon sorbet

Caffe

(All caffe available iced and decaffeinated)

Espresso (2)

Macchiato (2.50)

Cappucino (3.75)

Caffe Latte (3.75)

Caffe Americano (2.50)

Corretto (7)

I don't really know what wine I was drinking as I sat at the bar. Even at 7:30 pm when I had gotten there, it was LOUD. All I remember is that the bartender, an affable and friendly gentleman said that it was a Chardonnay.

If there was mint in the mussels, I couldn't taste a single hint. Eggplant caponatina was just the right mix of sweet and sour, with bits of pignoli throughout. Spaghetti carbonara was silky smooth -- the essence of egg coating every perfect al dente strand, but suffered from an overdose of pancetta and just a little too much sauce.

A trio of gelati -- olive oil, hazelnut and pumpkin -- and a cup of mint tea rounded out the evening. $54, with tax and tip. Out of 10? A 7. I'll be back, I just don't know when that will be. I've decided that it's been too long since I've been to Jewel Bako.

Too many restaurants, not enough time.

:biggrin:

Ok, I'm leaving this thread open for most of tomorrow in case people have questions and such.

I said I'd post a picture of me once the blog was done, as today is technically the last day.

So, here you go:

gallery_1890_1967_23285.jpg

I'm really really really nowhere near where I want to be. Though it doesn't look like much, trust me when I say it's a marked improvement from the pic in 2003 a few pages back.

There won't be too much more time for meals like this weekend's. I've said elsewhere that I plan on going on a cutting diet soon. When really depends on when I've decided that I can't stand the rolls of fat around my waist. Unfortunately, I've never met a calorie I didn't like.

I'm scarfing down some cottage cheese before bed.

Good night!

Nice to finally see you!  What have you decided to order tonight?  Do they make their own pasta?  That pasta looks good and so do the pizzas - I was glad to see no cheese on the Napoletana.    :smile:

I don't really know what wine I was drinking as I sat at the bar.  Even at 7:30 pm when I had gotten there, it was LOUD.  All I remember is that the bartender, an affable and friendly gentleman said that it was a Chardonnay.

If there was mint in the mussels, I couldn't taste a single hint.  Eggplant caponatina was just the right mix of sweet and sour, with bits of pignoli throughout.  Spaghetti carbonara was silky smooth -- the essence of egg coating every perfect al dente strand, but suffered from an overdose of pancetta and just a little too much sauce. 

A trio of gelati -- olive oil, hazelnut and pumpkin -- and a cup of mint tea rounded out the evening.  $54, with tax and tip.  Out of 10?  A 7.  I'll be back, I just don't know when that will be.  I've decided that it's been too long since I've been to Jewel Bako.

Too many restaurants, not enough time.

:biggrin:

Hi, Lucy.

I'm not sure if this was clear, but that's what I had. I thought about getting a pizza but in the end just decided on a (relatively) light dinner.

Now that I think about it, I really need to try Lupa and Babbo again. Oh, and I take back some of what I said about the spaghetti carbonara. I dreamt about it all last night. Still was a bit too much sauce but what there was.... :wub:

It was like sex on a plate.

Thanks so much for taking the spotlight for a bit, Stash, and showing us a part of your life. I agree with Pan; yours is probably one of the most unusual food blogs ever! I can definitely see more muscle in the 2003 photo, too, so your plan is working.

I've been thinking about those whey shakes and other high-calorie liquid meals. How do you think they'd do for people with ailments who need to keep eating but have trouble doing it? My father lost so much weight during his chemotherapy because the food nauseated him. There's a thread about chemo patients and eating somewhere around here. Would your diet lend itself to their predicament?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thanks so much for taking the spotlight for a bit, Stash, and showing us a part of your life.  I agree with Pan; yours is probably one of the most unusual food blogs ever!  I can definitely see more muscle in the 2003 photo, too, so your plan is working.

I've been thinking about those whey shakes and other high-calorie liquid meals.  How do you think they'd do for people with ailments who need to keep eating but have trouble doing it?  My father lost so much weight during his chemotherapy because the food nauseated him.  There's a thread about chemo patients and eating somewhere around here.  Would your diet lend itself to their predicament?

Smithy -- thanks.

A liquid diet may be an answer. It's certainly not an optimal answer, but it's possible. Fiber is one thing that would have to be consumed in some quantities, because it helps perform certain cleansing functions that a wholly liquid diet would otherwise be unable to. However, it's probably best to check with an appropriate medical provider.

Whew. Now I know why I've gained so much weight since becoming ill in February, your blogs didn't look like all that much food to me. I completely fell in love with that lemon condimant you made, I'm going to try to get those ingredients and make some of that spicy lemony yum myself. BTW, do you like the green hot sauces? I love those lately. Thanks for letting us in on your week, I really enjoyed the visit! You look great, keep up the good work and stay well! :biggrin:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Whew. Now I know why I've gained so much weight since becoming ill in February, your blogs didn't look like all that much food to me. I completely fell in love with that lemon condimant you made, I'm going to try to get those ingredients and make some of that spicy lemony yum myself. BTW, do you like the green hot sauces? I love those lately. Thanks for letting us in on your week, I really enjoyed the visit! You look great, keep up the good work and stay well! :biggrin:

Rebecca -- thanks.

I left out proportions on purpose because I believe that recipes (well, nonpastry/nonclassical ones anyway) aren't quantifiable. The best cooks I know don't measure precisely. It's usually a dash of this or a dose of that.

For the fig salsa, I recommend two to two and a half cups worth. It kind of depends on how sweet you want it. No sugar involved; most of the fruitiness comes from the figs, lemon and strangely enough, the chipotle. I used three chiles this time, but feel free to use more.

I love jalapeno Tabasco, but feel that they use too much thickener. It's definitely different from classic Tabasco.

Another easy salsa I make from time to time is the following:

roasted plum tomatoes

roasted garlic, peeled

Vidalia onions, chopped

EVOO

chipotle en adobo

poblano chiles, seeded and minced (to taste)

salt and pepper, to taste

fresh plum tomatoes, cored, seeded and chopped

red wine vinegar

pinch of sugar

cilantro

Saute onions in EVOO until translucent. Adjust seasoning. Puree roasted tomatoes, garlic and onions for 30 seconds; add chiles. Pulse but do not puree so that the chiles retain a bit of texture. Add vinegar and sugar. Stir.

Fold in as much fresh tomatoes as you prefer, add cilantro to taste.

Refrigerate to meld flavors, or serve immediately.

If you're feeling devious, you can add a little Scotch bonnet infused vodka. :wink:

So, Mr. Foodblog Czar, now that you've done it, what do you think of blogging? I hope you've enjoyed it as much as I did, and as much as I enjoyed reading yours! Well done, Stash.

Edited to add: I just went back to the beginning and realized this wasn't your first time; I was thinking of another blogger. Any new insights this time around?

Edited by Smithy (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Edited to add: I just went back to the beginning and realized this wasn't your first time; I was thinking of another blogger.  Any new insights this time around?

I really need to get a digital camera.

A good thing too, because then I would have been obliged to take pix of my apartment's kitchen. It wouldn't have been pretty.

:wink:

I really need to get a digital camera.

A good thing too, because then I would have been obliged to take pix of my apartment's kitchen.  It wouldn't have been pretty.

:wink:

Don't worry... we will happily welcome your third blog after you get a digital camera, and won't care if your kitchen is not a pretty sight. ...All the more interesting!

Thanks so much for sharing your week with us.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.