• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mrs. Dash and other convenience products

SobaAddict70

Yes.

Yes, I use it, and it's one of my favorite condiments -- right up there with sambal oelek and homemade mayonnaise. To me, food is food and it doesn't matter most of the time as long as it tastes good.

In the end, that's really what matters the most right? That it tastes good.

This thread is for your favorite shortcut/convenience product/ingredient.

There's a lot to be said about fresh herbs and spices....however, nothing quite beats an onigiri rolled in furikake and Mrs. Dash (with a little sesame oil) from time to time.

Marshmallow fluff.

Durkee's crispy French fried onions.

Rice Krispies.

Nestle's Toll-House chocolate chips.

Cool Whip.

Heinz ketchup.

Bird's Eye frozen peas.

Yes, I've lost my foodie card (for the moment) and I'm proud of it.

Have at it. :wink:

Soba

Family likes Fluff

never got into the fried onions had them on had them on the green bean thingy once or twice

I would kill for Rice Krispie treats

ummm who would bash a choc chip cookie

cool whip has its place

ketchup is just nasty

frozen peas make Perfect Ice Packs....but my daughter keeps eating them on me :wacko:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I will second the ketchup, frozen peas and Nestle recommendations/confessions. I also have a soft spot for Redi-Whip, though I never serve it to anyone else (I just eat it off of a spoon or out of the can), so I'm not sure it counts.

For the most part, I try to avoid spice mixes or non-basic condiments, since I live alone and go through dry goods so slowly (except for baking stuff). I do, however, have a soft spot for canned breadcrumbs. I know, I know. But with only one person (and one person who doesn't keep bread in the house at that) canned is so much easier than making fresh every time.

And much as I love homemade mayo, I do enjoy my Hellmann's. :cool:

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Hmm. I started by listing all the convenience foods we keep around, then realized that's not quite your point.

I'm not big on Mrs. Dash, but Spike makes a regular appearance on my avocado. Other secret weapons:

-Lawry's seasoned salt (for me)

-Montreal grill pepper blend (for him)

-Prepared mustards, with or without horseradish

-Famous Dave's Barbeque Sauce of some variety

-I always thought Nestle's semi-sweet chips were a basic food group on their own?!

-Trader Joe's sun-dried tomato pesto

-Trader Joe's or someone else's olivada, tapenade, bruschetta topping, artichoke lemon pesto (hey, I can't can all of this stuff)

-Jarred roasted red peppers

-Danish smoke salt

There, those are some of our favorite condiments/convenience foods. That leaves out our too-tired-to-cook shortcuts like frozen vegetables and canned sauces, and the Jet-Puff marshmallow cream for Dad's favorite fudge, but we use those too.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I've used Mrs. Dash on occassion.

Shake and Bake.

Hershey's chocolate sauce for sundaes

chocolate sprinkles for decorating

Definately frozen peas and sometimes frozen corn in the winter.

And Montreal Steak Spice works on just about everything

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Japanese curry roux like House brand Java Curry Mix or S&B Golden Curry. I wouldn't know where to start from scratch making my own Japanese-style curry, and neither would my Japanese friends. It's a unique flavor and consistency.

Various Thai curry pastes. Yes, I could make them from scratch, but I typically use only a small quantity at a time and my freezer space is limited; these are shelf-stable.

Girard's Light Champagne salad dressing. Tastes like a really good French vinaigrette.

Barilla pasta sauce. I use it as a base to spin off my own creations.

I don't have Mrs. Dash in the house, but I do have Ducros' Cuisinez tout à la Marocaine, a Moroccan-style spice blend I discovered in France and now have traveling friends send me.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Here are mine...

-Rhode's white bread dough. We LOVE pepperoni rolls and calzones and I just haven't quite worked up the stones to make my own dough. That'll be a project for this winter... as soon as football is over and I have my weekends back.

-Heinz Chili Sauce. Plain old ketchup (catsup?) can't compete with this stuff.

-Hellman's mayo. I just can't be bothered to make mayo for every sandwich that gets made in this house.

-Giant container of "fresh" salsa from Sam's Club. I can't think of the brand name right now and the current container is in the 'fridge at the office. I haven't been using it, what with the current abundance of summer tomatoes, but I really love this stuff. It's HOT!!

-Hunt's canned Garlic and Herb variety spaghetti sauce. The best and cheapest stuff out there for a terrific "go to" quick dinner. Once again, the summer's bounty has kept this at bay, but it really is a very good base for your mid-week pasta needs.

-Canned beans. I must have an irrational fear of dried beans because I always get the canned ones. I need to get over this one.

Huh... that's not as bad as I thought it would be. I can see myself eliminating the bread dough and the canned beans at some point, but the other ones are staying.

Girard's Light Champagne salad dressing. Tastes like a really good French vinaigrette.

I totally forgot - Brianna's salad dressings, especially the French vinaigrette and the blush wine vinaigrette. Yummy!

And Open Pit barbecue sauce. I think it's an East Coast thing, since my mother has made me ship it out to her (or carry it with me on the plane) since she moved to California four years ago.

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Seasoned salt. When I don't know what else to throw on something, I reach for the large jar of Lawry's Seasoned Salt. I used it on the hamburgers tonight. They were great.

Penzey's Sandwich Sprinkle and Ozark Seasoning. I've used them on everything from fish to beef to grilled vegetables.

Curry powder. I've found several brands I like a lot - so much so that I doubt I shall ever make my own. (Same with Thai curry pastes.)

Frozen peas, edamame, cauliflower, and broccoli. Because sometimes the frozen stuff is better than the fresh we get.

Trader Joe's Roasted Garlic Salsa. Yes, I make my own salsa from time to time, but we really love this stuff.

Best Foods (or Hellman's - the stores carry both) mayo. They'll probably take my foodie card for this, but I like it better than homemade.

I refuse to feel guilty about enjoying these foods and seasonings. I enjoy the flavors and I simply don't have the time or interest to cook from dead scratch every night. I like to think that I know when it's worth it to me to do so, and when it's better to let large corporations do some of the work.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

You know, I was going to start a thread on Shake and Bake when I thought of this one.

I *love* Shake and Bake. It was one of the first convenience ingredients we were introduced to when we moved to this country back in the mid-1970s.

I haven't had Shake-and-Bake pork chops in years.

Do they still make it?

Soba

-Canned beans.  I must have an irrational fear of dried beans because I always get the canned ones.  I need to get over this one.

Let me help you! :laugh: IMHO, one of eG's best threads ever. It will either inspire you or send you running the other way. I hope it's the former.

edited to add: what is Mrs Dash? A spice blend or salt substitute? Something else? I remember something called Crazy Jane's Mixed up Salt in the 1970s.

Edited by rancho_gordo (log)

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

You know, I was going to start a thread on Shake and Bake when I thought of this one.

I *love* Shake and Bake.  It was one of the first convenience ingredients we were introduced to when we moved to this country back in the mid-1970s.

I haven't had Shake-and-Bake pork chops in years

Do they still make it?

Soba

Oh yes. In regular and BBQ. I actually like the BBQ Pork Shake and bake for Chops and the Extra Crispy Original Shake and Bake for chicken.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

-Canned beans.  I must have an irrational fear of dried beans because I always get the canned ones.  I need to get over this one.

Let me help you! :laugh: IMHO, one of eG's

Wow... that's a whole lotta info to digest. I'll have to keep that thread handy this winter. I really want to make a nice big pot of black bean soup sometime.

As for Shake and Bake... I was never really a fan, but I sure did love me some Oven Fry. Ooohhhh Oven Fry. I don't think I've had any in 10+ years. I remember standing over the baking pan after dinner and picking at the greasy bits, getting my hands smacked by my mother as she was trying to do the very same thing.

And can someone explain to me why people like Hellman's? 

As opposed to say, Best Foods or Kewpie?

For me, at least, it's just what my family always bought. ALWAYS. In fact, I don't think I've ever bought another kind.

Huh.

Queenie Takes Manhattan

And can someone explain to me why people like Hellman's? 

As opposed to say, Best Foods or Kewpie?

Well, Best Foods is Hellman's. Kewpie is available only in Japanese markets so unavailable to most people locally. Personally, I don't really like the flavor but my daughter is crazy about it so whenever I mail order Japanese goods I get her some.

There is a Banquet Brand that's is sometimes sold here that is even better to my taste than all of the above. Tastes like home made.

I think most everyone uses some prepared foods. Sambal Oelek is one of my favorites. Then, there's soy sauce. And my father has often used those fried shallots in a plastic jar to very good effect. I don't know; are any of these analogous to Mrs. Dash? Actually, the concept of Mrs. Dash is that it's an American masala. My father has often used store-bought Garam Masala and Rai Masala, and I have also gladly used those on occasion, though I have to say that home-made masalas are better for most gastronomes, who love the more expensive fragrant spices like cloves. My brother hates to taste cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg, so when my father is cooking for him, store-bought Garam Masala is really better.

Michael aka "Pan"

Okay, I'm not getting why ketchup makes this list. You mean you all prefer to make your own?

My own preference as far as ketchup is concerned is a product that may belong over on that "Mass-Produced Rarities" topic if it's still being made:

Brooks Tangy Ketchup.

I imagine other Midwesterners (resident or expat) hanging out here will recall this product.

Ahhh....here it is, on Amazon.com, being sold by Hometown Favorites, one of the big online sellers of hard-to-find commercial food products.

And why is hot sauce on this list? I had assumed that this was about shortcut products that you used instead of either making the same thing yourself or combining seasonings you already had.

Seasoned salt falls in the latter category, and I see nothing wrong at all with using McCormick Season-All (or, if you prefer, Spicy Season-All. For a while, I would shake this stuff on cottage cheese the way I now do hot sauce.)

Put me down as one who likes Barbecue Shake 'n' Bake for Pork too, though I haven't bought any in a while.

Moving down the same road to the barbecue sauces...Open Pit??? Surely you could do better--at least KC Masterpiece, since I realize that it's not possible for most of you--or me, for that matter--to run out to the store for a bottle of Gates'. (I make my own, riffing off Ollie's recipe.)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I can't use Mr. or Mrs. Dash any more because in grad school I went through a period of putting them on everything-- think cottage cheese with Mrs. Dash.

However, at any given time I own several things like that from The Spice House, such as Salad Elegant and Sunny Paris.

Frozen chopped onions, if my onions are going to be cooked. I use many packages to make a batch of onion soup.

Petite cut diced canned tomatoes, since no one likes big chunks of those things, and it's not worth making a mess or washing the blender to do it yourself.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali