• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Classic Cookbooks

John - In addition the recipes in the Wells book all work. It's one of the few books where they actually tested the recipes first. Do you not have the Louise Bertholle book? It's quite amazing.

Cathy L. - Yes both the Roden and Madison books should be on the list.

Let's see if I can list some categories to get the topic going.

How about a Mexican book? Dianne Kennedy? Rick Bayliss? Zarella's first cookbook actually is quite good. Kennedy is the standard but a little dry for a spicy topic.

New England - Jasper White's book from when he had his own restaurant is a terrific book and has a good recipe for everything from clambakes to pot roasts.

Mediterranean - As I had mentioned elsewhere, I cook more from Joyce Goldstein's "The Mediteranean Kitchen" and "Back to Square One" than any other cookbooks. They feature every type of Mediteranean cuisine imagineable. From Portugal to Sicily to Israel. All easy to make recipes that are in line with home cooking.  And how about the Silver Palate Cookbook for straight ahead home cooking.

My additions to the list:

- The New making of a cook Madeleine Kamman

- Anything Alice Waters

- Anything James Beard and Julia Child - nothing goes wrong  with these recipes

Can you inculde the recent professional cookbooks ? ie Charlie Trotter, Thomas Keller, or Alfred Portale ?  

For inspriation and practically in the restaurant I look to Alfred Portale and recently Gray Kunz.

Dan Walker

Chef/Owner

Weczeria Restaurant

Re: Alice Waters, and with apologies for being slightly off topic:

She gave a book signing yesterday at the Union Square farmer's market, a few of the farmer's were irate that they had to give up space to accomodate her. "Who the f**k is Alice Waters?", at least one asked. Oh how I wish I could have been there to answer, "Probably the number one reason why people are interested in buying what you grow."

Re: Alice Waters, and with apologies for being slightly off topic:

She gave a book signing yesterday at the Union Square farmer's market, a few of the farmer's were irate that they had to give up space to accomodate her. "Who the f**k is Alice Waters?", at least one asked. Oh how I wish I could have been there to answer, "Probably the number one reason why people are interested in buying what you grow."

Liza, [OTazer zap] that's an [OTazer zap] interesting [OTazer zap] point....

gasp...

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

All of Paula Wolferts' books-her attention to detail and authenticity is awesome                                                                                            Desserts,and Pastries of La Brea Bakery;Nancy Silverton[my favorite pastry chef]                                                                                                  Simple Cuisine;J.G. Vongrichten                                                 The Italian Baker;Carol Field                                                                 Simply French;Joel Robuchon & Patrricia Wells                                           A Taste of India,Flavors of India;Madhur Jaffrey- wonderful regional home recipes,charming text                                                                           Classic Home Desserts;Richard Sax                                                       Authentic Mexican;Rick Bayless

Suvir - Please do not respond in the threads I post. I really want nothing to do with you and I don't want you poisoning  discussions like you have done with others. I know I can't force you not to post, but everytime you do I will remind you about it and the ensuing argument will make the thread disintegrate. If you had any decency you wouldn't. Please keep your distance. I have asked you nicely.

What is outrageous about not liking someone and not wanting to be in a dialogue with them? I have no desire to be in a conversation with someone I dislike intensely, who has put up a freind to come onto the site and call me a Nazi. I just won't tolerate it.

Now if I may, can we get back to the topic of cookbooks? But you should know I intend to do my best to exclude Suvir from the conversation so decide whether you want to participate given that is my feeling about it.

who has put up a freind to come onto the site and call me a Nazi.
I know that to be untrue. If you don't want to be called a Nazi (which I would never do), then don't use tactics that echo them.

Edit: I have nothing more to add on the subject. This being an uncensored site, your alabatros will remain hanging about your neck.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

Early influences which helped me to think about cooking rather than just follow recipes are:

Blanc Mange - Raymond Blanc

Keep it Simple - Alistair Little

(Lisa's already mentioned M Roux's Sauce book)

Unfortunately, neither have followed up with anything worthwhile (Blanc Vite was truly awful) and RBs earlier books although wonderful can be a bit involved.  

I also hate to admit it but I still reach for Delia's early "Complete Course" book for basic recipes - I am not a fan of her later work.

I was given a copy of French Laundry book just 2 weeks ago - I still too much in love with it to give an unbiased opinion yet but early reading indicates a classic in the making.

Hm. I love the French Laundry book. It has certainly clarified certain perspectives for me and shifted others. I hesitate to call it a classic though.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Suvir - Please do not respond in the threads I post. I really want nothing to do with you and I don't want you poisoning  discussions like you have done with others. I know I can't force you not to post, but everytime you do I will remind you about it and the ensuing argument will make the thread disintegrate. If you had any decency you wouldn't. Please keep your distance. I have asked you nicely.

Plotnicki, what the fuck do you think you're doing? Stop it.

Regardless of the substantive underpinnings of your argument, this is not an acceptable (or effective) way to go about making it. You know that.

I strongly suggest you and Suvir attempt to work this out in private. If after you and Suvir make a conscientious attempt at reconciliation you are still unable to do so, we can discuss this futher -- but not on every thread.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Sorry Fat Guy. Nothing can be more repugnant to me, the son of a Holocaust survivior, than what has happened here. Since the management here won't stop outright personal attacks and remove them from the site (which is what would happen on almost any other site,) there needs to be a way to deal with people who have done what Suvir has done, and now what his friend Sweetpea has done.  And in instances where there is no solution via the moderators, in my experience this is quite an effective way to deal with flamers who won't stop when asked. It's a cold peace, but peace nonetheless.

And it is quite easy to fix. Right now what I see is a thread full of personal attacks, accusations, name calling and allegations that have no basis in fact. All which were said over the objection of a number of people. And not only that, they are from a moderator on the site. Those posts can be removed/retracted and an apology given. Otherwise I have no use for the guy and I would strongly prefer that he does not get involved in my threads. Like I said. I have asked nicely.

John Whiting - And your acceptance of someone calling me a Nazi, and seconding that will hang around yours. I'm surprised at you.

Everybody take a step back, take a deep breath, and let's talk about this tomorrow. See you then.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

My additions to others already mentioned: "Beard on Bread"; Vincent Price's treasury (sorry, I'd have to look up the exact title) for all those original mid-'60s menus; my dog-eared copy of "Charleston Receipts" (no Southerner should be without one); James Villas' "American Taste"; John Thorne's "Simple Cooking"; a dozen others that will come to mind as soon as I send this; and, for sentimental reasons, Cecily Brownstone's "Associated Press Cookbook" because my mother gave me a copy when I got my first apartment.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

Steve P brings up an intriguing thought...is this HIS thread because he started it or is it OUR thread that he happened to start. I'm not sure what happened between you and Suvir, nor do I want any details.  But if the prevailing ethos at eGullet is that of inclusion regardless of personal differences, you cannot expect someone to avoid posting to your threads.  Asking such is not only doing a great diservice to the rest of us who might enjoy the thread that you begat and would actually be interested in what Suvir has to say as well, but it is also an unimaginably conceited thing to suggest.  This site has repeatedly been characterized as a haven for free speech...what you're requesting is censorship and I find it loathsome enough to consider not particpating anymore.  You seem to object to something Suvir has every right to say (whether you agree with it or not), yet continuing this sordid diatribe in the midsts of a great thread such as this and expecting Suvir to self-censor is ridiculous behavior.  If any apologies are in order, Steve P you owe the rest of us one.

As for cookbooks, I have an Yve Thuries book (The Classic and Contempory Recipes of...) that I have found to be a fantastic source of impressive recipes.  Highly recommend.  Also, perhaps it's trite considering the band wagon element, but Nigella Lawson's How to Eat is a very good book for everyday cooking (her intro and chapter openers are great reading).  Escoffier's La Repertoire de la Cuisine is great reading for culinary fundamentals, but it's often difficult to find specific recipes...still, it's a great addition to any collection.  And as for bread recipes, Crust and Crumb: Master Formulas for Serious Bakers by Peter Reinhart is indispensible.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

John Whiting - And your acceptance of someone calling me a Nazi, and seconding that will hang around yours. I'm surprised at you.
I did neither. I said I would never call you a nazi and I said don't use tactics which echo them. A typical tactic was to put words into another's mouth and then condemn what was in fact their own invention. This you do continually. It is the tactic of a person who approaches a discussion, not as an exchange of ideas, but as a battle to be won, by any means necessary. I did not want to continue this exchange, but I cannot allow you to misquote me.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros