• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Special Cake Needed/ NJ Bakery?

Rosie

There is a woman named Lisa Mcmanamey ( SWEET ENDING) that does her own catering desserts in Montclair. I have eaten many and been to several parties she has catered. I am talking top notch work and would make ANYTHING you needed.

It is always an option for you.

973-783-2978.

Hope this can help you.

Tracey

Rosie, I have had to wait while the owner took special orders for cakes at : A & B Ridgewood Bakery & Cafe -

18 E Ridgewood Ave, Ridgewood --at the train station (201) 612-6888

Jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

Rosie,

Cook123 and I have used Sweet Sisters many times. They are two sisters, and one hails from Johnson & Wales...She does fantastic work. She does stuff with fresh flowers on the cake..At one time they owned a store on Valley Rd in Montclair and eventually relocated to Totowa. I'm sure they can accomodate your needs.

Edited by Cook456 (log)

Alpine Rose in Maywood does nice work...Tom was supposed to do my wedding cake....too soon post 9/11 though he was stuck in Vegas...we almost didnt make the reception ourselves

ended up with crappola from Mazures

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Alpine Rose in Maywood does nice work...Tom was supposed to do my wedding cake....too soon post 9/11 though he was stuck in Vegas...we almost didnt make the reception ourselves

ended up with crappola from Mazures

tracey

I really don't understand the appeal of places like Mazur's and Calandras

Low-Fat Dark Chocolate?? Rosie, that's a tall order... Most so-called "low-fat" chocolate is not really chocolate, and you know it when you taste it. Maybe they could forego the lowfat for just one cake? :wink:

Does anyone know a bakery where a  low fat dark chocolate (bitter sweet variety) cake can be purchased or special ordered in NJ?  If not NJ then NY?

Rosie there is a woman across from the Montvale Train station (she lives above the hardware store with her husband) - they used to have a shop where the bagel place is now on RR ave? (it could be Kinderkamack Road at that point?)

If you go into the bagel shop or into the hardware store and ask for her (just ask for the woman who made the great cakes/pies) they will point you to her or give you her telephone # she will make anything / everything from scratch and she makes the best tasting pies or cakes anyone has known. It is a shame they didn't have enough business when they were open but I had the delight to try it once and word of mouth got around and everyone was buying from her for a while - I think the "high rent" finished them off though. I wish I had her telephone # for you. Actually also I hear sugarflake makes special requests but I am unsure of that also with advance notice I would think the Shoprite in Ramsey (and they make HEAVENLY :wub: desserts) would accomodate you. Goodluck please let me know how it worked out for you!

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Low-Fat Dark Chocolate??  Rosie, that's a tall order...  Most so-called "low-fat" chocolate is not really chocolate, and you know it when you taste it.  Maybe they could forego the lowfat for just one cake?  :wink:

A good Low-Fat Chocolate cake can certainly be accomplished. Think of the great desserts from the book "Chocolate and the Art of Low Fat Desserts" by Alice Medrich.

Low-Fat Dark Chocolate??  Rosie, that's a tall order...  Most so-called "low-fat" chocolate is not really chocolate, and you know it when you taste it.  Maybe they could forego the lowfat for just one cake?   :wink:

A good Low-Fat Chocolate cake can certainly be accomplished. Think of the great desserts from the book "Chocolate and the Art of Low Fat Desserts" by Alice Medrich.

That's fine, but chocolate by definition would have to contain about 50% fat. Anything lower than that wouldn't be chocolate. And, even if it could be accomplished, it probably wouldn't taste very good. Fresh fruit, anyone?

Edited by menton1 (log)

Low-Fat Dark Chocolate??  Rosie, that's a tall order...  Most so-called "low-fat" chocolate is not really chocolate, and you know it when you taste it.  Maybe they could forego the lowfat for just one cake?   :wink:

That's fine, but chocolate by definition would have to contain about 50% fat. Anything lower than that wouldn't be chocolate. And, even if it could be accomplished, it probably wouldn't taste very good. Fresh fruit, anyone?

I've seem many a recipe for 'chocolate cake' where only cocoa was utilized. A low fat/fat free cocoa based cake. Not my cup of tea, but certainly definable as 'chocolate cake.'

You substitute Cocoa for the high fat chocolate, as they do in brownies...same taste without all the fat. These cakes turn out delicious.