• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bizarre Cravings-Where to find in NJ

Anonymouze

I have a strange craving for candied apples, and NO I don't want to cook them I want to buy them. Not the chocolate ones, nor the fudge or the others - the CANDY ones (the red sweet ones).

I don't feel like traipsing through a local fairground nor hanging around a bodega in Paterson or such.

So please help me!

Where can I find fresh made candied apples in NORTHERN Bergen county? Anyone know any shops nearby? Thanks in advance for your help .

(Don't laugh at me... I'm just in the mood for one! and I'm not pregnant.)

Last week it was toasted almond ice cream so I bought a box of good humor bars... they're still unopened but tomorrow... ah tomorrow they will be started upon.

:wub: YUM!

I wish there was a good penny candy store up here too... if you know of one of those let me know also! Thanks again a big bunch everyone.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

I wish there was a good penny candy store up here too... if you know of one of those let me know also! Thanks again a big bunch everyone.

Anon, I can't help you, but you would have LOVED Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor about 25 years ago in the Paramus Park Mall in the Food Court area. Wow ... waitstaff were dressed in pin stripped vests, old fashioned ties, and cane hats. The restaurant featured a distinctive look of a century past ice cream parlor and they had PLENTY of penny candy. Oh, the good ol' days.

Nutley Resident

-------------------------

Proud to be American

Proud to be a Nutley Township Resident

Isnt there a candy and nut shop in the middle of Westwood?.... right hand side of the first block with the train station behind you...

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Anon, I can't help you, but you would have LOVED Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor about 25 years ago in the Paramus Park Mall in the Food Court area. Wow ... waitstaff were dressed in pin stripped vests, old fashioned ties, and cane hats. The restaurant featured a distinctive look of a century past ice cream parlor and they had PLENTY of penny candy. Oh, the good ol' days.

We had one in East Brunswick Mall Too.. I remember a huge huge going on when it was someones birthday.. Sparlkers, sirens, lots of yelling..

Yes, Farrells was by me then in E. Bruns and when I lived up here both locations - actually I liked Jahn's (originally from NY?) up in Union NJ prettymuch. No, the ice cream parlor doesn't carry that but they do carry great home made (a tiny bit pricy) chocolate and great (i mean REAL good) ice cream there. It's halfway down Westwood ave in the shopping district on your right side when going away from the RR tracks. YUM hubby loves the IC there I like the chocolates, the owner makes the IC fresh downstairs in the basement (probably an old "jimmy hoffa" recipe LOL)

:shock:

If you mean the nut shop, never been in there I shall check it! Thanks.

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

Actually I liked Jahn's (originally from NY?) up in Union NJ prettymuch.

Wasn't there a Jahn's on either 208 or Rt 4 west of the GSP? Gosh, that goes way back, too. Back to the days of "4 and 20 Pie Shop" on Route 4. Anyone remember THAT place?!? <yyyuuuummmmy>

Nutley Resident

-------------------------

Proud to be American

Proud to be a Nutley Township Resident

Can't recall the name, but in the Garden State Plaza Mall, (Paramus) upper level, directly adjacent to H & M is a chocolate/candy store with several flavors of candy apples, including the red ones and chocolate, of course. They are lined up in the window, so you won't miss it.

We had one in East Brunswick Mall Too.. I remember a huge huge going on when it was someones birthday.. Sparlkers, sirens, lots of yelling..

That's where we had my, um, 6th (?) birthday party. I loved Farrell's.

There was a Farrell's down the road from where I grew up. We went there for birthday parties, dinner and ice cream if we got good grades, after the school Christmas concert, etc. I have very fond memories - and apparently a lot of other people do too...

I love the video clips on this site

Farrell's - Santa Clarita

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

Wasn't there a Jahn's on either 208 or Rt 4 west of the GSP?

On route 4 West just before you get to 208. It is now the River Palm Steakhouse. I MISS that place :smile:

Back to the days of "4 and 20 Pie Shop" on Route 4. Anyone remember THAT place?!? <yyyuuuummmmy>

I remember that one too- I think it was in the Bergen Mall?

• 1 month later...

Don't know if it helps in terms of the OP, but Applegate Farm is having an Octoberfestival on Oct. 15th at their flagship store (Montclair), and the posters specifically note handmade caramel apples. I know they're not what you asked about, but maybe you can ask who their supplier is and see if they make candied ones? Just a thought.

Not that I was standing in line today for a Graham Central Station cone and reading the poster or anything... :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Don't want to let on how old I am, but..............

Growing up in Hoboken, there was a guy who would make home made candy apples and he would sell them from a cart, that had three trays of the most lucious candy apples I've ever had. He would stand outside Jos F Brandt school at 3PM each day, selling those apples.

They were sweet and sticky and gooey... Boy were they good.

We called him the Candy Apple Man.

Anyone remember him?

Edited by Cook456 (log)

I *STILL* have a strange craving for candied apples, and NO I don't want to cook them or ORDER them... I just want to buy them. Not the chocolate ones, nor the fudge or the others - the CANDY ones (the red sweet ones).

I don't feel like traipsing through a local fairground nor hanging around a bodega in Paterson or such.

So please help me - I know I posted this at the start of summer - I am hoping for help since it's autumn and I still haven't had one (and I've broken a molar in the meantime lol so it should be quite an adventure!) Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

Secor Farms in Mahwah. Besides the caramel, chocolate and other fancy variations, they have the the good old fashion bright red candy apples of my youth. My teeth hurt just looking at them!

Dana

PS and that's ABMA'S farm in Wyckoff. Also the one place I know where you can get double yolk eggs by the dozen!

Edited by Dana329 (log)

• 3 weeks later...
ABMA'S farm in Wyckoff.  Also the one place I know where you can get double yolk eggs by the dozen!

Thanks Dana! Finally hubby and I went to Abma's farm this weekend and I walked around and bought a personal quiche (for supper - sundried tomatoes/spinach/artichoke hearts YUM!) a personal chocolate - pecan pie, some sundried tomato spread and some hummus chips (sundried tomatoes of course) hubby bought healthier stuff like fruits and veggies! I also tried their hot mulled apple cider in the back - oh my god it was soooOOooo good! :wub: but I didn't buy the mulling mixture because I hate cooking.

I DID get my Candied apple FINALLY - thank you!

Also this weekend I learned about something called tastefully yours if anyone has more info on any local parties/gatherings please let me know! Thanks again.

Dana,

You might also try Goffle Road Poultry Farm (in Ridgewood). They have many sizes and types of super fresh eggs. They also have the best fresh Turkey and chicken

Edited by Double 0 (log)

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

OOPS I meant this not tastefully yours! ! My bad! :shock: oops. Read on!

http://www.tastefullysimple.com/

I just inquired about it - they are having a big "open to public" (so I heard) tasting fund raiser at the Pearl River Hilton? But it could be a rumor.

Anyhow I'm all for trying anything new especially in small doses! (except poison or kinky things.... :rolleyes: well... um nevermind!) :blink:

It sounds like a cross between Tupperware/Avon/Schwans and Pepperidge farm to me. If anyone has gone to one or is hosting one don't forget to tell us all or at the least invite me! ::waving my hand:: :cool:

*oops and also...

Goffle farms has some great ostrich and other game as well, I didn't want to forget to mention that - we went there a few years back quite often when we were on a "game binge"... anyhow they're about 10-15 minutes from Paramus.

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

Let me start by saying I picked up lunch at "Picnic" in Emerson... OH MY GOODNESS! It was sooOOo good for something so simple - I hope she gives me her recipe because mine never tastes THIS good ever... I mean NEVER ever!

What I had was simply Waldorf Salad. It was 95% perfection (I'm picky I like my apples peeled first -grin-) The owner made today's Waldorf Salad with Cranberries, Raisins, Apples, honeyed nuts and usually I think it's mayo but I do NOT think this was mayo, it tasted like a cross between yogurt, frosting, mayo and honey-something-or-other... I am not sure what she used but if I find out... mmMMmmm I'll never stop eating it at home!

Either way she definitely made it perfectly even my old dogs who are never agressive pushed each other out of the way to get at the apple skins (like I said I don't like them unpeeled!) it was amazing to watch and it made me chuckle.

I will have to get much more than the pound and a half she had so I have enough for 2 or 3 days. I have enough for one more meal, lunch tomorrow. Then I may just get the DT's from missing it over the weekend!

If anyone has any other "goodies" that I may like recipe wise or places to go that have non-celeried waldorf salad or candied apples or anything "different" let me know. I'll try anything once, and if it doesn't hurt and it's legal... twice!