• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Camping, Princess Style

Marlene

re: Simmering sauces 

I used various brands of Indian//Pakistani pastes

for a long time  they re usually oil based . there are pastes from Thailand 

and China I also use  ( shrimp paste ?  Thai curry pastes )

simmering sauce , in my elemental mind , are more or less those , w the addition of water.

very fine and get the job done .

consider also looking for pastes .Patak_Tikka_Masala_Paste_10oz_1408x1408.thumb.jpg.498af1ef62d7538c1700237c2953996f.jpg

1111.jpg.7cc731aff9e82eb3f4b456ac8987e026.jpg

these tubs are lares

smaller , and more or less the same are cans :

22222.thumb.jpg.418c66fff76a6bbc553dfbfd91c25d80.jpg

514p5yYIOYL._AC_UL640_QL65_.jpg.1e308e0f167e59506b39f9bf4c11e409.jpg

I very much prefer this brand to Lee Kum Kee.

etc.

• Thanks 2

P.S. :

Ive been using this brand from time to time 

for about 10 years .  it , too me , is relative new compared w Patak :

https://www.mayakaimal.com

the jars are more expensive than Patak , and found in more upscale stores  ( USA )

the sauce is not as thick as Patak  , but not really water-ey

the flavors are wonderful , and completment pats'  pastes very well.

it seems the company has expanded a great deal since I started getting the jars.

some jars are refrigerated .

if you see a jar , consider giving it a taste.

I make biryani rice , simply by using basmati rice in a rice cooker 

w a tablespoon or two of Patak's biryani paste at the get go .

or any other paste .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Smithy

id be interested in the sodium content of those various packs.

if theynhelpyounget a tasty dinner on your plates 

terrific.

@rotuts, you ask a very good (and rather inconvenient) question. It's only inconvenient because I hadn't though of it, mind you. 🙂

I don't have any more packages of the Uncle Ben's Cilantro and Lime Ready Rice (at least, if I bought more I can't find it) and They Aren't Telling on their web site. Here's a photo of the nutritional info for the Ben's Original Ready Rice Whole Grain Medley, which may or may not be comparable.

20240121_120159.jpg

Yikes...pretty high on the sodium: 470 mg per 1 cup serving; 810 mg per pouch.

The Passage to Asia Thai Basil & Sweet Chili stir-fry sauce is even higher:

20240121_115816.jpg

640mg per 1/4 cup serving; 1920 mg in the pouch.

I used both full pouches to make the dinner above; however, I used a lot more vegetables than the stir fry pouch called for and stretched it with water. We got at least 3 meals each out of it -- maybe 4 -- so the total sodium count from these pouches but not including the contribution of the tube steaks would be on the order of 340 - 455 mg per meal. I noticed that another simmer sauce in our cooler has a lower sodium count. I'll start paying attention to that aspect, and report on it.

Thanks for the question! 

Edited to add: I just looked at the earlier picture of the Cilantro Rice package. It says on the front that it has 240 mg/cup.

20240117_192637-1.jpg

About half of the Whole Grain Medley. 

Edited by Smithy
Updated sodium info. (log)
  • Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

I scrubbed it with Soft Scrub, rinsed it with water, dried, then sprayed with Pam olive oil. It's sitting in the oven, supposedly curing again while it protects our beans. What do you think? Anyone? Will this work?

I once left a cast-iron skillet outdoors for about a year. I had abandoned it after a disastrous adventure involving pork butt, fresh peaches and a charcoal fire. (TBH, I simply forgot about it, as it was the last of the outdoor cooking that year.) When I finally retrieved it, I almost threw it out. It was encrusted with fruit-based sugar, underneath which was a substantial layer of rust. Pride won out, though, and I set out to restore it (I was motivated by an upcoming fried-chicken-for-six dinner, for which I kinda needed the skillet.) I employed:

• A long soak to dissolve the sugar. Yeah, I know, soaking is a no-no, but the pan was already covered with rust.
  • Multiple applications of Bar Keepers Friend, made into a paste with a little water. (This is another no-no, according to the manufacturer, though they don't say why. Whatever. BKF contains oxalic acid, which is an effective rust remover.)
  • After all that, some rust remained. For that, I used a steel wool pad. I don't know if the BKF had loosened it or what, but it came off pretty easily.

All I need now is an explanation for why I spent four hours of my time to restore an object that would have cost fifty bucks to replace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

@Smithy

thanks you.

the first pouch is 470 mg for the entire pouch , as I read it 

the second is as you have indicated.

some time ago , I collected pouches of Indonesian sauces 

from indonesia .  loved the idea .  I had about 1/2 dozen or more .

from my local Asian Market .   they sat ready and willing .

then I looked at the sodium content  

it was remarkable high .  never used them .

the same for Japanese pouched sauces .  from Japan.

you can find more reasonably sodium levels in pastes and sauces if you 

lean to look .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dave the Cook said:

All I need now is an explanation for why I spent four hours of my time to restore an object that would have cost fifty bucks to replace.

I wrote "thank you" but that was for the instructions. This cracked me up!

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@rotuts, I've been using Maya Kaimal fairly often, but thought the pouches would be easier to store and smaller in the garbage bag. As for the pastes: I have at least 2 types of curry paste. I have coconut milk. I have stuff I could cook in them. But then I'm getting back into the intimidation stage: what quantities? What goes with what? So there they sit. 🙂

I need tutorials.

• Like 1

teach yourself .

just use them 

and keep track 

for a cup of rice in a rice cooker 

start w a tablespoon and see what happens .

baking some chicken ?   a light coating of pate , and try it out.

on the rice , consider the paste as your salt addition.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Smithy said:

what quantities? What goes with what?

To start, our formula for red curry seems to be 1 can of coconut milk + 2 heaping T red curry paste + 12 oz. protein + 3 to 4 C bite-sized fresh vegetables, at least 1/4 of which is onion. This is sufficient for two people, usually with one lunch left over.

Also, I found the Frog/Commissary Cookbook (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) helpful way back mumbledy years ago when I was trying to figure out curry pastes and the like. It's not an Asian cookbook per se, but the staff of the restaurant was partly Asian (Thai, as I recall), and they brought in pastes to play with, some of which ended up on the menu. It's out of print, but I see that a Kindle version is available for five dollars. Well worth it, I say.

• Thanks 2

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

@Smithy Thanks for the link to The Sunday Beans, I just put a pot of them in the oven, and in the same Lodge Double Dutch Oven that you used. I’m sure your lid will be fine, cast iron isn’t as big a PITA or delicate flower as most modern media (social media?) seems to want to make it.

And yes, the smell is wonderful!

Edited by DesertTinker
Added comments (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

1111.jpg.7cc731aff9e82eb3f4b456ac8987e026.jpg

these tubs are lares

smaller , and more or less the same are cans :

22222.thumb.jpg.418c66fff76a6bbc553dfbfd91c25d80.jpg

I've often thought about trying this brand but I never have because I have no idea how hot this stuff is.  Can you enlighten me?

In fact, I have a used copy of The Frog Commissary Cookbook (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) at home, thanks to an early round of enabling here on eGullet. Didn't pack it. What the heck, for $5 I can enjoy it here too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@ElsieD

the heat varies considerably .  

as I recall , the green curry is very hot.   green Thai Birds   

the others , not so much at all .

if you can get the small cans , try those as their contents are more or less similar taste  to the tubs

which have a lot more in the inner packs .

the can vs tub was covered here many years ago .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I've often thought about trying this brand but I never have because I have no idea how hot this stuff is.  Can you enlighten me?

We usually use Mae Ploy curry pastes. See our formula above for red curry. This results in a dish that will make you glow, but not sweat.

@rotuts reports on the green.

• Thanks 2

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

47 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

@Smithy Thanks for the link to The Sunday Beans, I just put a pot of them in the oven, and in the same Lodge Double Dutch Oven that you used. I’m sure your lid will be fine, cast iron isn’t as big a PITA or delicate flower as most modern media (social media?) seems to want to make it.

And yes, the smell is wonderful!

Great! I look forward to seeing your take on it.

I just finished the 3-hour cooking time, so took a look. First off, the lid needed wiping down. A 275F oven isn't hot enough to do anything with that oil. Lid looks okay, though.

The beans were mostly cooked, but stilll a little firmer than I'd like. Their age may have something to do with that.

20240121_132225.jpg

I stirred them, added a cup or so of water,...

20240121_132357.jpg

...and returned them to the oven. I'll check again in another hour.

Meanwhile, my darling has decided he isn't going to cook pea stew today. He can do it tomorrow when I'm away for much of the day. We'll have to figure out something else for dinner. There are plenty of leftovers still. Or he can try some of these beans. Or I can make quesadillas...ooh, I like that idea. 

• Like 4

@Smithy  So, mine looked much like yours when I took the lid off at 3 hours, kind of dry and a little scary. I automatically stirred them without getting a picture, but this is what they looked like after a quick stir.

IMG_2498.thumb.jpeg.3a988c53620fe3ff3fbd539c18a44c87.jpeg

A ladleful in a small bowl with much better color balance.

IMG_2499.thumb.jpeg.c2b05be34ff3cfe894a175d888f48495.jpeg

They are completely done, great flavor and texture, but a bit too salty. I think this is a Diamond Crystal vs. Morton’s kosher salt issue, I put 2 scant teaspoons of Morton’s, should have done a teaspoon. I’ll cook up the other half pound of beans and add them in, problem solved.

Definitely a keeper, once revised.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

@Smithy  So, mine looked much like yours when I took the lid off at 3 hours, kind of dry and a little scary. I automatically stirred them without getting a picture, but this is what they looked like after a quick stir.

IMG_2498.thumb.jpeg.3a988c53620fe3ff3fbd539c18a44c87.jpeg

A ladleful in a small bowl with much better color balance.

IMG_2499.thumb.jpeg.c2b05be34ff3cfe894a175d888f48495.jpeg

They are completely done, great flavor and texture, but a bit too salty. I think this is a Diamond Crystal vs. Morton’s kosher salt issue, I put 2 scant teaspoons of Morton’s, should have done a teaspoon. I’ll cook up the other half pound of beans and add them in, problem solved.

Definitely a keeper, once revised.

I just took a taste, and I think you're understating: to me these are way, way, WAY too salty. (Morton's coarse Kosher salt.) Next time I'll use 1/2 tsp, or maybe 3/4 tsp, with this recipe. In the meantime, I'm not sure what I'll do with these. I don't have time tonight to cook more. I'll look around to see if I can find a can of cooked pintos with which to dilute them. Otherwise I'll scatter just a little into my quesadilla before grilling, and try to dilute with other, less salty ingredients. It's a shame, because the other flavors are good to the degree I can taste them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

29 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I just took a taste, and I think you're understating: to me these are way, way, WAY too salty. (Morton's coarse Kosher salt.) Next time I'll use 1/2 tsp, or maybe 3/4 tsp, with this recipe. In the meantime, I'm not sure what I'll do with these. I don't have time tonight to cook more. I'll look around to see if I can find a can of cooked pintos with which to dilute them. Otherwise I'll scatter just a little into my quesadilla before grilling, and try to dilute with other, less salty ingredients. It's a shame, because the other flavors are good to the degree I can taste them.

I was trying not to be too dramatic, but agree that they are very salty. I just looked up Epicurious Salt Chart (scroll way, way down), they say 1/2 + 1/8 teaspoon of Morton’s Coarse = 1 teaspoon of Diamond Crystal.

• Thanks 2

Sorry about those salty beans, @Smithy & @DesertTinker!

When I cook dried beans, I use 1.5 tsp Diamond Crystal or .75 tsp Morton's Kosher for a full pound of beans. I’m sure I’d find 2 tsp/half pound way too salty, too. Not to mention that some brands of chili powder contain salt and there's that 1/4 tsp of Na bicarbonate in there adding a bit more sodium. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Speaking of salt....I needed coarse salt, went to the grocery store and bought this:

20240121_200403.jpg

Quoting this because I wasn't finished.  When I used it, I thought, gee, this isn't what it's supposed to feel like.  A closer look led me to the bottom of the box.  How this ended up being sold in a grocery store, I have no idea.  It is quite a fine salt, not far off table salt.  I realize you aren't talking about Diamond Crystal but thought you might find it interesting.  I see in Mark Bittman's chart, this salt isn't listed.  For comparisons sake, here are three salts.  On the right is Diamond Crystal, the top is a Mediterranean sea salt and the below it is Maldon Sea Salt Flakes.

20240121_200746.jpg

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

So, I cooked the remaining 8 oz of the pinto beans in the Instant Pot 3 qt. I used unsoaked beans, 1 tsp each of garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and the 1/4 tsp of baking soda, 4 cups water, 45 minutes on high, 20 minutes natural release. Added the new beans to the salty batch and bean liquid as needed. Now they’re delicious and edible (without inducing any medical emergencies). Fortunately these were not planned for dinner tonight. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1