• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jelly Belly Jelly Beans

adegiulio

I'm sitting here eating some Jelly Belly beans, realizing how much I love them. Our grocery store recently put in one of those bulk serve yourself contraptions with about a dozen different flavors. For me they are a guilty pleasure with all of their sugar, flavorings and colorings. I don't care, I can eat buttered popcorn and toasted marshmallow till the cows come home...

Anyone else love these thing? Hate them? Wonder how they get the flavors so dead on (for most things)? Are there any other beans that even come close??

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

I am all about Jelly Belly's, but I am going to stir the pot with this one. I hate, absolutely hate, the buttered popcorn flavor. It is vile. I want to vomit just thinking about it. Same with the tutti frutti.

I do however, love both cappucino, root beer, cream soda, and all of the sour varieties.

Anyone ever notice that the watermellon are green on the outside, and red in the middle? I love that.

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

Several years ago I was temping in an office where there was a constant supply of the things. I'm not much into non-chocolate candy so I haven't sought them out before or since, but I liked 'em lots while they were available to me (for free).

Even the flavors that grossed me out I still found at least entertaining, in a "I double-dog-dare-you-to-eat-that" kind of way. I think the flavors I disliked, in fact, had their effect on me specifically *because* they reproduced the target flavor so accurately. The buttered popcorn, for instance, had the exact same slightly-rancid tang as the fake-buttered popcorn I smell and avoid at movie theaters (I'm not much of a popcorn fan in any case). The pickle-flavored Jelly Bellys were scary that way too, as I recall.

The Wegman's I shop at also has the bulk thing where you can choose your flavors and how much of each - what a dangerous idea that was. I love most any flavor, but have to agree with Tonyy13 - popcorn is the disgusting. Watermelon, root beer and bubble gum are my favorites. But after spending $10 everytime I fill up a bag, I have to practice self control and steer clear of that area in the store.

I'll jump on board the anti-popcorn jelly belly bandwagon. I live close enough to the Jelly Belly factory here in California that I took a niece and nephew there one summer day a few years ago. You can't actually go onto the factory floor (for health and safety reasons), but you can observe it from above, and you also watch a video about how the beans are produced. Apparently, jelly bellies are the only jelly beans where both the center and outer coating are flavored, which explains their concentrated flavor.

I don't eat them much, but occasionally get a hankering for their sour varieties. I did love them (almost all flavors except coconut and black licorice) when I was a kid, though.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Yeah, it seems that buttered popcorn is a love or hate kinda thing. My wife hates them. She can't understand why I love them so much. Heck, neither can I.. :biggrin:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

I am all about Jelly Belly's, but I am going to stir the pot with this one.  I hate, absolutely hate, the buttered popcorn flavor.  It is vile.  I want to vomit just thinking about it.

How do you feel about the Vomit flavour?

I just tried the new Baked Beans, Bacon, and Rotten Egg flavours. The Baked Beans was pleasant but mild - lacked some of the caramel depth. Bacon, surprisingly disappointing - none of the characteristic smoke and the sugar overly masked the salt - sugar always hides salt. Rotten Egg, that was good - a round sulphurous funk.

I was really surprised - which seems backed up here - that there's known a love/hate relationship with Buttered Popcorn.

I just tried the new Baked Beans, Bacon, and Rotten Egg flavours. The Baked Beans was pleasant but mild - lacked some of the caramel depth. Bacon, surprisingly disappointing - none of the characteristic smoke and the sugar overly masked the salt - sugar always hides salt. Rotten Egg, that was good - a round sulphurous funk.

I was really surprised - which seems backed up here - that there's known a love/hate relationship with Buttered Popcorn.

When you say vomit flavor, you are talking about the special line they put out for the Harry Potter fans?? They are called Berty Botts' Every Flavor Bean.....an boy were they not joking. The grass one really tasted like grass (or rather, how grass smells). The vomit one was entirely too realistic for me....really tastes like vomit (how do they DO that???) :wacko: Then there was ear wax.....sardine, dirt (I actually was impressed with that one as well) and all other sorts of vile combinations. Great fun!! I will also say that I LOVE the buttered popcorn one. It's just the right mix of salty and sweet and it's just great!

"No matter where ya go, there ya are....and there ya go!"

My absolute favorite is cappuccino.

Buttered popcorn is an offense against nature. :shock:

The sours and watermelon are pretty much tied, but pear often sneaks in and I say, "Oh, yeah--I forgot about those."

(Don't get me started on the sardine? mackeral? that a loving nephew slipped to me!)

Edited to add: While the peanut butter alone isn't all that great, peanut butter and chocolate make a really nice peanut butter cup.

Edited by onehsancare (log)

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

You are joking...I hope. Well, if they have a rotten egg flavour, i guess they would have a vomit flavoured one (who is thinking up of these new flavours?)

With all of these new flavours, one could have a three course meal simply made out of Jelly Belly's...salad, main course, dessert. That would be something. What would one drink with this meal?

With all of these new flavours, one could have a three course meal simply made out of Jelly Belly's...salad, main course, dessert.  That would be something.  What would one drink with this meal?

Kool-aid, of course :biggrin:

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

What would one drink with this meal?

Why, fizzy lifting drink, of course!

Oh, wait, I'm confusing Jelly Bellies with Willy Wonka. :raz:

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

You are joking...I hope. Well, if they have a rotten egg flavour, i guess they would have a vomit flavoured one (who is thinking up of these new flavours?)

The Vomit flavor turns out to be part of their Harry Potter-inspired Bertie Bott's line, along with such charmers as Ear Wax, Booger, Dirt, and Sardine. :wacko:

With all of these new flavours, one could have a three course meal simply made out of Jelly Belly's...salad, main course, dessert.  That would be something.  What would one drink with this meal?

Looks like the Jelly Belly folks have anticipated this question, but perhaps need a little more imagination (or a little more booze).

i have nto tried every flavor ging for these things but the ones ive tried i love..and by the way there are sugar free versions for some if u can find them...however with regards to the flavors in general...dare i say it...u think they will go the way of the ones so loved in the harry potter movies...u know the ones im talking about with the name i cant remember but they are an every flavor bean?....... :laugh: ..give them time babies...give them time..... :laugh::laugh:

edited to add: berty botts every flavor bean...i just saw it in another posting..... :laugh:

Edited by ladyyoung98 (log)

a recipe is merely a suggestion

I love all the sours--they come in a sugar free variety, too, which makes them an almost guiltless pleasure--but the green apple is my favorite. Also pear and, though I haven't seen it recenty, grapefruit. Basically I love all the fruit flavors. I can eat a capuccino or chocolate or peanut butter, but those aren't the flavors I crave. I'm almost physically incapable of passing by a bag of the sours if I wander into the candy aisle at the grocery store (and avoid the candy aisle for precisely this reason.) :smile:

The buttered popcorn is da bomb. I adore it. Ate them all the time in college especially. Half the pleasure is that nobody's gonna bug you for them--sorta the same reason my spouse reveres Good and Plenty (*gag*).

I've never been real into the recipe thing, but I loved reading the recipes as a kid.

I wonder how they tested the booger Bertie Bott's bean. Did the taste testers alternate beans and boogers to make sure they had the flavor spot-on? :blink:

Jelly beans are my favorite candy, teeny tiny fruit pectin (the expensive ones they used sell at dean & deluca)are my most beloved and then jelly bellys after that the pastel speckled ones that come out at easter tehn any kind of fruity ones except starburst and lifesaver jelly beans which kind of suck and I consider brach jelly eggs an abomination.

Have gone near mad with desire at the fancy food show

My current favorites are: cantelope, juicy pear , red apple, pink grapefruit, tangerine, black pepper and red licorce

Long time favorites are: raspberry, peanut butter, chocolate pudding, this light purple one that I think is like tropical passion or something, green apple, coconut.

The candy store at 30th street station sells them by the flavor, I get them for train rides as they are the perfect travelling candy, also very good for plane rides but I can't always plan that far ahead.

recipe combos:

peanut butter & toasted marshmallow

peanut butter, chocolate pudding & toasted marshmallow

peanut butter & island passion (whatever it is called)

peanut butter & red apple

peanut butter & raspberry

chocolate pudding & coconut

chocolate pudding & raspberry

green apple & cinnamon

cantelope & juicy pear

black pepper & cantelope (oooh fancy fancy if only they made proscuitto flavor)

pink grapefruit & tangerine

I am a wee bit OCD about my jelly beans, absolutely cannot grab a random handful unless they are all fruit flavored. Sometimes I separate them in to falvors and selectively eat them in order or prefernc taking care to always have my favorites as the last bite. Have done this since I was a kid when I would separate & count how many of each flavor I had lest my brother steal any of my green or yellow ones and replace them with orange or black. Sometimes this makes people look at me funny on the train but I don't care.

I hate tutti frutti, banana, blueberry, watermelon, orange,bubble gum, peach and licorice (odd because I love good & plentys, I have black jelly bean issues that date far back to jelly eggs).

I can't wait to try mango, jalepeno,plum, kiwi, caramel apple, buttered toast and wild blackberry.

Esp butter toast with wild blackberry!! Yum or jalepeno & mango

I am indifferent towards buttered popcorn.

I find grass mildy intriguing and have not eaten any of the booger, vomit, sardine or dirt ones though I have offered them to innocent bystanders and very much enjoyed thier reactions.

I love brightly colored candy!!

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

I am a wee bit OCD about my jelly beans[.]

I think you mean, "I have an healthy yet extremely refined jelly bean aesthetic," right? At least, that's my impression.

I like the way you think

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

I love em.

I'll jump on the anti-popcorn flavour ones though.

I'm also in love with the Jelly-Belly candy coated chocolate things now... (don't know what they're called). The Jelly Belly flavours and chocolate? What more do you need?

Although I seldom buy them, I do like the caramel corn flavor. Pear and cappuccino is good, too.

As to the buttered popcorn, not bad but the caramel corn suits my taste better.

One of my daughters loves Jalapeño flavored ones.

We have a candy place in town that has a couple rows of flavors on their shelves. We always have some on the coffee table. Buttered popcorn is the one we always need to get a ton of because everyone loves them. Peanut butter is my other fave. Cotton candy, watermelon, tangerine, cherry and caremel corn are some of the more common choices. We do blackberry (one of my faves) and licorice (Mom's fave) seperate because they are the two that are difficult to see which you're picking up. Love 'em.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."