• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Savory popcorn

ravum

I've been addicted to Jaymes caramel popcorn for some time now (Thank You Jaymes!!) and was wondering if savory versions of flavored popcorn exist?

Not being familiar with Jaymes... are you looking to buy a product off the grocery shelf, or make something at home? (and, umm, is Jaymes' just regular caramel popcorn, or is it a savory caramel, like cumin infused?) of course, things like cheddar, jalapeno and veggie flavored have been on the shelves for a while...

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

Believe it or not, a classic wine geek pairing for champagne, even the really good stuff, is hot-from-the-popper popcorn sprinkled with freshly grated parmesan and drizzled with white truffle oil.

I'm looking to make something at home,I've seen some on shelves but havent been able to duplicate them well enough at home.

Jaymes version is caramel popcorn and is baked for an hour.The popcorn is well coated with the caramel and toasty by this method.

When I've tried savory versions,the toppings dont adhere well to the popcorn and most of the seasoning is at the bottom.

The parmesan and truffle idea sounds great....we will try that the next time we open a bubbly.

Is the nutritional yeast added to oil before popping the corn or just sprinkled on top?

I switched to duck fat when popping corn long ago, in fact just last night I popped up a batch of duck fat popcorn. It's heavenly. 1/3 cup of popcorn and 2T. of duck fat popped in a covered 2 quart sauce pan will give a generous serving for two at aperetif. Fleur de sel adds to the pleasure. The oil gets very hot without burning, which is good, and there's a nice subtle taste added to the popcorn that's beautifully addictive.

I switched to duck fat when popping corn long ago, in fact just last night I popped up a batch of duck fat popcorn.  It's heavenly.  1/3 cup of popcorn and 2T. of duck fat popped in a covered 2 quart sauce pan will give a generous serving for two at aperetif.    Fleur de sel adds to the pleasure.  The oil gets very hot without burning, which is good, and there's a nice subtle taste added to the popcorn that's beautifully addictive.

God bless you

I switched to duck fat when popping corn long ago, in fact just last night I popped up a batch of duck fat popcorn.  It's heavenly.  1/3 cup of popcorn and 2T. of duck fat popped in a covered 2 quart sauce pan will give a generous serving for two at aperetif.    Fleur de sel adds to the pleasure.  The oil gets very hot without burning, which is good, and there's a nice subtle taste added to the popcorn that's beautifully addictive.

Oh my god! I have to try this.

My supply of duck fat is dwindling, dwindling, dwindling.

Time to roast another duck!

to the butter or oil, add a little cumin powder, a little corainder powder, cayenne powder, and garlic powder - i do a 2:1:1 ratio with the first three, and also add salt and a little sugar to taste - you might even want to toast some shredded coconut in there, or add later, and pop the corn int hat oil.

good sweet spicy flavor.