• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What will those fast-food people think of next?

Fat Guy

...the pizza-on-top-of-a-pizza was a concept that I loved and dearly wish they'd bring back.

You reminded me of Taco Bells' Double-Taco which was a soft taco, refried beans layered over a hard taco. It was pretty good.

Emma Peel

I think the next possible step would be for McDonalds to have food trucks driving around and parking on your drive way or outside your office.

Here in Manhattan, McDonald's delivers. You can just go online and order whatever you want, and they bring it to you.

... which makes me wonder why they can't do it in more places.

Misa

Sweet Misa

I think the next possible step would be for McDonalds to have food trucks driving around and parking on your drive way or outside your office.

Here in Manhattan, McDonald's delivers. You can just go online and order whatever you want, and they bring it to you.

... which makes me wonder why they can't do it in more places.

I'd guess it's just a matter of needing a dense population (so there's not too far to travel) that's willing to pay a premium for what's normally cheap food. The Taco Bell and KFC near me in Philadelphia deliver; McDonald's doesn't, though.

Frings & the Bell Beefer...two fast food items I wish they would bring back.

Frings were from Jack-in-the-Box. It was just a ingenious mix of french fries and onion rings in one bag. The best of both worlds. J-I-T-B has just brought back onion rings in my area so I can only hope Frings will make a comeback soon, as well.

The Bell Beefer was from Taco Bell. It was basically a Sloppy Joe (aka Loose Meat sandwich) in a bun. It's doubtful they will ever return since it means they would have to bring back hamburger buns. They were simple and a great invention.

But they did bring back the Enchirito so who knows... :cool:

edited to clarify

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I think the next possible step would be for McDonalds to have food trucks driving around and parking on your drive way or outside your office..

I just read about a new pizza place that guaruntees 15 minute delivery. The only way they can do it is by actually making the pizza in the back of the delivery truck! I guess these vans or trucks are actually licensed restaurants in Canada. Sounds like a pretty ingenious idea.

well this has been bothering me - Dunkin Donuts new "lattes" in chocolate banana and chocolate strawberry -i'm not getting the taste combination and haven't tried on.

perhaps to DD latte doesn't include coffee?

on another note - McD's fruit and walnut salad isn't too bad. Sorta like a waldorf.

Edited by tryska (log)

In fact, does Rally's exist at ALL anymore??

Rally's currently has 389 restaurants, mostly in the Midwest.

Cool. Since I moved from Ohio to Illinois, all of the Rally's/Checker's that DID exist near where I lived all folded up and moved out of town.

All the Rally's in this town closed up, too. Bummer. I liked their battered fries.

The nearest one was converted into a Starbuck's and they really take advantage of that double drive-thru!

Good lord. I'm in Akron, OH and I could throw a rock and hit a Rally's in any direction. I will admit that I do like their fries but they must be using some kind of uber-onions on their food because they reek and so will you!

Not really fast food... but I gotta give mad props to IHOP for their Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity breakfast. It's got everything I want, yet I always feel like an asshole when I order it. :laugh: I don't know if that's clever of the IHOP folks, or just mean.

R.I.P Gino's... How i loved thee as a child.. Werent they hooked up with KFC or had the same logo somehow.. I still think i have a gino paper hat from me being like 5..

Wow, I'd forgotten about Gino's. Boy howdy, that takes me back a few decades. Here's a recap of the late-lamented chain. As you'll see on that link, your KFC connection was not imagined: Gino's was an official outlet for KFC (which I'm not really sure I understand, conceptually -- kind of a half-hearted franchising agreement?).

Christopher

• 2 weeks later...

Carl's Jr (Hardee's out east) started serving "Texas Toothpicks" which are a jumble of deep fried sticks of onion and jalapeño. You get a little container of their "house dressing" (aka Ranch) to dip them in.

I was surprised that some of the jalepeños actually had a wee bit of heat to them.

I considered them a welcome alternative to french fries.

Anyone else have these?

edited to add that I couldn't find any mention of them on their website.

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

I loved Burger Chef when I was little. I was very young the last time I went there, but I seem to recall that they had a "kid's meal" before McDonald's had a Happy Meal.

I'm ashamed to admit that I'm a huge fan of Taco Bell. I've been eating there since I was a kid. Toliver, I used to enjoy a Bell Beefer every now and again, and I miss it. Luckily for me, though, the Enchirito was/is my favorite. I was overjoyed when they brought it back, I order one every time I go. (They used to have exactly three slices of black olive on them but that's the only difference I can detect between the old and the new.) I still miss the Beefy Tostada, though. Basically it was a "supreme" tostada. Mmm...

• 2 weeks later...

Well i certainly wasnt expectng Mc Dawgs to come out with a fruit cup.. I mean come on with this crap.. I have been hearing these commercials on the radio and its like they are acting like McDonalds just discovered fruit for the first time.. Geeze, i cant wait for this item to go off the menu.

does anybody remembar the name of the cinnamon swirls from taco bell?

I don't know what the cinnamon swirls were called, but the caramel/apple empandas they have are GREAT - better than Mickey's Apple Pie because it also has caramel inside. MMMMMMM - I can almost taste it now.

does anybody remembar the name of the cinnamon swirls from taco bell?

I don't know what the cinnamon swirls were called, but the caramel/apple empandas they have are GREAT - better than Mickey's Apple Pie because it also has caramel inside. MMMMMMM - I can almost taste it now.

It was either Cinnamon Crispas or Crispies. Um, my first job was at Taco Bell! :hmmm:

I think the McDLT was brilliant. "It keeps the hot side hot and the cold side cold".........

Frau Farbissma: "It's a television commercial! With this cartoon leprechaun! And all of these children are trying to chase him...Hey leprechaun! Leprechaun! We want to get your lucky charms! Haha! Oh, and there's all these little tiny bits of marshmallow just stuck right in the cereal so that when the kids eat them, they think, 'Oh this is candy! I'm having fun!'"

A burger chain in Canada called Harvey's occasionally brings out this little bonus they call it "frings" half fries and half onion rings.

did you ever have to finally decide...well not when frings are in town a double hit of deep fried goodness!

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

A burger chain in Canada called Harvey's occasionally brings out this little bonus they call it "frings" half fries and half onion rings.

did you ever have to finally decide...well not when frings are in town a double hit of deep fried goodness!

Yes, Jack-in-the-Box used to have them, as well, some 15 to 20 years ago.

Tim Oliver

Oh where to begin...

First off, a local (mid-atlantic based) chain - Cluck-U.

etc.

Not to mention their second store Cluck-U 2.

That made me laught out loud whe I drove by.

(the U is for University. uh huh)

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

If only they had fast food sloppy joes or bbq sandwiches.

Say what you will about McDonald's, but the McRib sandwich promotion doesn't come around often enough.

And who can forget Burger King's Bullseye sandwiches? (basically your standard bacon cheeseburger with onions and Bullseye bbq sauce)

*drool*

Soba

I did a double take with Dunkin Donuts product named "Coolata".

Go into a cafe in Italy and ask for a Culata and see what you get  :shock:

I am still laughing my "culata" off over that one -thanks rh

You're welcome.

BTW you were lauging your culo off. Interesting word. If you win the lottery e.g. they would say "che culo!" meaning what luck.

A culata is something done with it, or to it (two word phrase in english that start with a and f) :blink: - not that I'm an expert.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

You're welcome.

BTW you were lauging your culo off. Interesting word. If you win the lottery e.g. they would say "che culo!" meaning what luck.

A culata is something done with it, or to it (two word phrase in english that start with a and f) :blink: - not that I'm an expert.

wouldn't it be "inculata" just a thought

:wink: