• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What will those fast-food people think of next?

Fat Guy

They still have Rally's in Indiana and Louisiana, at least (although the one here in IN doesn't have sloppy joes).

I'll second the McGriddle -- it's the only thing I have at McDonald's other than the pie. And the McDonald's in China have some great pies, apparently -- blueberry, jackfruit, I don't remember what else.

What I came to post about, though, was Candy Apple Hot Wings, which KFC seems to have been regionally testing in February. They had signs advertising them at the KFCs in Louisiana when I was back home visiting friends ... but I was in Louisiana, I didn't have time for a quarter of the places I'd've liked to eat at, KFC didn't make the list. I saved it for the drive back to Indiana, only to discover no one outside of LA had heard of them.

I believe that most of the Rally's that still exist are primarily in Southern California and New Orleans. The guy that started the chain, Billy Trotter, is from New Orleans (he owned the Chart House on Jackson Square for years and years, man I miss that place). I believe that he, several years ago. sold out to Checkers. Checker's may have taken it to a broader market, but the initial stores were only in New Orleans and San Diego.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I believe that most of the Rally's that still exist are primarily in Southern California and New Orleans. The guy that started the chain, Billy Trotter, is from New Orleans (he owned the Chart House on Jackson Square for years and years, man I miss that place). I believe that he, several years ago. sold out to Checkers. Checker's may have taken it to a broader market, but the initial stores were only in New Orleans and San Diego.

We have both a Checkers and 2 Rally's right here in the Charleston, West Virginia, area. They must have spread from Ohio...

Now I have to resist the urge to go there for lunch.

I'm sorry, but for clever names, you cannot - CANNOT - beat "Cheesy Gordita Crunch."

I wanted to name one of the ferrets that, but Sam wouldn't let me.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

I think the next possible step would be for McDonalds to have food trucks driving around and parking on your drive way or outside your office.

Here in Manhattan, McDonald's delivers. You can just go online and order whatever you want, and they bring it to you.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

In fact, does Rally's exist at ALL anymore??

Rally's currently has 389 restaurants, mostly in the Midwest.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

As stated above, Mos Burger in Japan (and Hawaii) is awesome. I generally don't eat any big chain fast food but Mos Burger makes it worth it. Think of it like artisinal fast food burgers.

Cluck-U in the Mid-Atlantic has a cult like following. Everyone says their regional Cluck-U is the best, but I have the pleasure of living near the original in New Brunswick, NJ, and even better one in Morristown, NJ. It's nearly always crowded with kids who need their clucker fix.

Cool. Since I moved from Ohio to Illinois, all of the Rally's/Checker's that DID exist near where I lived all folded up and moved out of town. And I hadn't seen one in forever. I did a search online and the nearest Rally's is 56.92 miles away. Next time I'm back in Ohio I'll have to track one down. I guess the two left in Chicago aren't exactly in the world's greatest neighborhoods.

This may mark me as being somewhat brain-dead, but I have gotten a kick out of Jack-in-the-Box commercials ever since they re-invented their corporate mascot as fast-talking Marketing-Suit Clown several years back. Every time I think they've sorta worn out that whole ad campaign, they come up with another chapter that cracks me up. Yeah, corporate marketing is Evil yadda yadda yadda ... but that doesn't mean it can't be damn funny, and someone down at JITB headquarters has definitely got their humor clown-hat on right.

Okay, I'll give on that one, but I can't be as forgiving of Burger King for making THEIR mascot into a serial-killer type. Not clever.

On the other hand, the cowboy themed, Hootie-singing, over-sexualized "Bacon Cheddar Ranch" commercials ARE damn clever.

As for actual ingenious fast food names, slogans, or items, it's been a few years since I've been blown away. Perhaps I've become jaded. I suppose the closest I get is the raw admiration I had that McDonald's had the balls to sell those "chicken strip" things for like... $1 a piece (a box of ten was $9.99 in most locations when they rolled it out, a box of three was like... $4).

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I go by a Steak N Shake every day. They always have different signs up advertizing things that sound lovely, like peach milkshakes. I don't see any of their other marketing, but those signs always make me want to go in and buy something.

While hardly a "gimmick" in the conventional sense, this will most certainly assure continuing success in the coffers of McDonald's: article from NYT Business section

Dr. Ornish also works for the McDonald's Corporation. As a paid consultant, he meets with top executives, gives talks to employees and recently wrote nutritional words of wisdom about diet and breast cancer for table displays to go into all McDonald's restaurants in the United States for Mother's Day.
Table displays, hmmmm... a new approach with some actual value or just another thing to be read and dismissed as we much merrily on our Big Macs?? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

go by a Steak N Shake every day. They always have different signs up advertizing things that sound lovely, like peach milkshakes. I don't see any of their other marketing, but those signs always make me want to go in and buy something.

:wub: I LOVE steak and shake. Thank goodness there aren't any in the State in which I live. My niece used to go to college in North Carolina and Steak and Shake were part of the reason for my many trips. You are right, other than their signs displaying the shake flavor of the day/week the only other advertising is the fantastic smell of the burgers that fills the air. But then again that's enough for me. Makes me want to take a road trip. You really should stop in and try a burger and shake, watermelon is one of my all time favorite. I wish that girl hadn't graduated so quickly, four years was not enough.

My hat's off to a local Italian fast food chain, Fazoli's. They're currently advertising "pizza style spaghetti"... which is a shallow plate of spaghetti and sauce, topped with what appears to be pepperoni and cheese, and baked until the cheese melts, etc. Their food actually isn't bad at all, and I may indulge this week.

Another nod to White Castle--The Taste you Crave and the "chicken ring."  I'll never eat one, but now they make sandwiches with them.

I was just about to point out the chicken ring, but I see that I was beaten to it.

There is no part of a chicken that naturally occurs in ring form that I would be interested in eating.

That being said, their burgers are awesome (even though they make everything they come into contact with stink for a week).

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

go by a Steak N Shake every day. They always have different signs up advertizing things that sound lovely, like peach milkshakes. I don't see any of their other marketing, but those signs always make me want to go in and buy something.

:wub: I LOVE steak and shake. Thank goodness there aren't any in the State in which I live. My niece used to go to college in North Carolina and Steak and Shake were part of the reason for my many trips. You are right, other than their signs displaying the shake flavor of the day/week the only other advertising is the fantastic smell of the burgers that fills the air. But then again that's enough for me. Makes me want to take a road trip. You really should stop in and try a burger and shake, watermelon is one of my all time favorite. I wish that girl hadn't graduated so quickly, four years was not enough.

This thread is great.

My favorite part about Steak N Shake? The fries that come in a cup-shaped container that fits in your car's cup-holder, so you can easily access them while driving. Another valued contribution to the fattening of America (myself included :biggrin: )

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

Cool. Since I moved from Ohio to Illinois, all of the Rally's/Checker's that DID exist near where I lived all folded up and moved out of town.

All the Rally's in this town closed up, too. Bummer. I liked their battered fries.

The nearest one was converted into a Starbuck's and they really take advantage of that double drive-thru!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Occasionally I'll have a craving for the long-gone Deep Fried Ravioli from Jack in the Box. Cheese ravioli, breaded, deep fried and served with marinara sauce for dunking.

Yeah, I'm on Lipitor now.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Cluck-U in the Mid-Atlantic has a cult like following.  Everyone says their regional Cluck-U is the best, but I have the pleasure of living near the original in New Brunswick, NJ, and even better one in Morristown, NJ.

I'm guessing they regionalize their menus a good bit, too, as the Cluck-U down the road from me in DC proudly advertizes a $3.99 "BUCKET O' GIZZARDS" special that I'm not sure would sell that big in New Brunswick?

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Cool. Since I moved from Ohio to Illinois, all of the Rally's/Checker's that DID exist near where I lived all folded up and moved out of town.

All the Rally's in this town closed up, too. Bummer. I liked their battered fries.

The nearest one was converted into a Starbuck's and they really take advantage of that double drive-thru!

There's a Rally's REALLY CLOSE to me. It's next to a Harley Davidson store. Just give me 20 minutes and I'll be back. Mind you, I haven't eaten there in years.

I will always remember Burger King as the hamburger place where you can "have it your way." That appeals to the independent person in me, as the song goes,

Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce. Special orders don't upset us ...

Boy, I'm really showing my age!!

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Does anyone remember Burger Chef? When I was a kid, that was the place to go. Their hamburgers were better tasting than McDonalds. I guess they were eventually phased out.

pepperAnn

At my house, you get two choices for dinner:

TAKE IT or LEAVE IT!!!

I remember Burger Chef, though only vaguely, because they went to burger franchise heaven when I was a little kid (to be with Burger Queen and Druthers). If you're in the mood for nostalgia, check out JSF's Burger Chef page and Burger Chef memories.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

R.I.P Gino's... How i loved thee as a child.. Werent they hooked up with KFC or had the same logo somehow.. I still think i have a gino paper hat from me being like 5..

Edited by Daniel (log)

I'm not sure if pizza counts quite as fast food, but the Pizza Hut Priazzo from 20-odd years ago, the pizza-on-top-of-a-pizza was a concept that I loved and dearly wish they'd bring back.

Sin against the genre of pizza and all, it definitely filled those deep calorie-indebted days of being a sprout on a farm.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.