• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a substitution for pernod, anise or 5 spice

M3brewboy

I can't tolerate pernod, anise, or Chinese 5 spice because of the black licorice taste. There are many good sounding recipes that I would like to try but they have these ingredients listed. What can I substitute for these ingredients? Or do I just eliminate them altogether?

Thanks in advance!

Gary

Have you actually tried these in recipes, Gary? I ask because I detest black licorice and, while I wouldn't be caught dead drinking Pernod, I've come to enjoy it in many recipes (bouillabaisse, shrimp with Pernod, vanilla ice cream with Pernod and black pepper, etc.) when used in moderation. Ditto star anise.

Can't think of a universal substitute. Why don't you list some specific recipes?

Edited by carswell (log)

Many times the anise/licorice flavor is an essential part of the dishes that call for these ingredients. I like it a lot, but it should be subtle, not like chewing on a licorice whip. So, my first suggestion would be to go easy and see if you like just a touch of the anise.

I find it goes really well with lamb or game dishes and in seafood soups.

If you really don't like any anise flavor, try substituting a curry powder that doen't have any anise flavored spices in the mix, many are available or mix your own from your spice rack.

You can substitute anise hyssop, which is a less intense flavor. This is often known as the "root beer plant" because of its flavor. It makes a very pleasant tea which is good for the digestion.

It is also extremly easy to grow in pots or in the garden. It self-seeds but doesn't spread or become a pest plant like some.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I can't tolerate pernod, anise, or Chinese 5 spice because of the black licorice taste.  There are many good sounding recipes that I would like to try but they have these ingredients listed.  What can I substitute for these ingredients?  Or do I just eliminate them altogether?

Thanks in advance!

Gary

I have the same trouble with vanilla. I hate vanilla, but it seems every recipe in the world calls for vanilla. The thing I hate about vanilla is the flavor. I have noticed that whenever I use vanilla in a recipe, it imparts that vanilla flavor to whatever I am cooking. Oh, I have tried vanilla substitutes -- every vanilla substitute I can get my hands on. But the damndest thing -- that vanilla flavor gets imparted by the vanilla substitutes as well! Why, I might as well be using full-bore vanilla! If someone develops a vanilla substitute that does not have that vanilla flavor, I'll buy a case of it.

--

ID

--

I have the same trouble with vanilla. I hate vanilla, but it seems every recipe in the world calls for vanilla. The thing I hate about vanilla is the flavor. I have noticed that whenever I use vanilla in a recipe, it imparts that vanilla flavor to whatever I am cooking. Oh, I have tried vanilla substitutes -- every vanilla substitute I can get my hands on. But the damndest thing -- that vanilla flavor gets imparted by the vanilla substitutes as well! Why, I might as well be using full-bore vanilla! If someone develops a vanilla substitute that does not have that vanilla flavor, I'll buy a case of it.

I'm sure the food chemists among us will correct me if I'm wrong, but why not substitute a flavoring you DO like? I don't think vanilla does anything to the food but flavor it.

EDIT: Oops, cross posted with carswell.

Edited by patti (log)

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

If someone develops a vanilla substitute that does not have that vanilla flavor, I'll buy a case of it.

What would be the point? Isn't vanilla all about flavour?

Yes, exactly. How do you make a recipe that calls for vanilla to not have that vanilla flavor?

Beats the hell out of me.

--

ID

--

If someone develops a vanilla substitute that does not have that vanilla flavor, I'll buy a case of it.

Yes, exactly. How do you make a recipe that calls for vanilla to not have that vanilla flavor?

So make it lemon flavored, or orange flavored, or amaretto flavored, or whichever flavor you choose.

I'm sure the food chemists among us will correct me if I'm wrong, but why not substitute a flavoring you DO like? I don't think vanilla does anything to the food but flavor it.

Sure, that's easy for YOU to say. Why, you might as well leave it out altogether!

--

ID

--

So make it lemon flavored, or orange flavored, or amaretto flavored, or whichever flavor you choose.

What about anise-flavored? I don't mind the black licorice flavor -- it's the damn vanilla flavor that kills me.

--

ID

--

You're a very bad person.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

You're a very bad person.

Heehee. I was tempted to question his intent, but I don't know him well enough (or at all) to do so. I did check my calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1.

Sorry.

I actually like vanilla a lot.

Is this another epiphany?

Tasting the difference between something flavored with vanilla bean and something flavored with artificial vanilla was quite edifying. Also, tasting what Pernod can do to a mussel soup was very much a life lesson. Perhaps not epiphanies, but right up there.

--

ID

--

You might want to try Fennel Seed, it has a slight Anise-y taste but it is much milder/gentler.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Sure, that's easy for YOU to say. Why, you might as well leave it out altogether!

Or use a lot less than what's called for. Adjust it to your tastes and if your tastes can't stand it at all, does as the others have suggested and use a substitution.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Or use a lot less than what's called for. Adjust it to your tastes and if your tastes can't stand it at all, does as the others have suggested and use a substitution.

Wait. I just remembered. I like vanilla. It's sarcasm I can't stand. Is there a good substitute for sarcasm?

--

ID

--

I will second Nullo Modo on the Fennel.

I don't really like licorice, but enjoy fennel in a lot of dishes.

Especially pork.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Wait. I just remembered. I like vanilla. It's sarcasm I can't stand. Is there a good substitute for sarcasm?

A swift kick to the cojones? Oh wait, that would be the response to, not a substitute for.