• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reliable Probe Thermometers

...tm...

I have some gift certificates to use on Amazon and could use some advice on a good probe thermometer. The reviews for oven probe thermometers are overwhelmingly negative, with many claims of "it breaks all the time". I can't tell who is reliable. Are these people complaining that they have to change the probe or that the thermometers won't work at high, wet heat, or are there legitimate complaints? Do Amazonians not know how to use these, or is this a crappy lot? From what I've read on eGullet, egulleteers seem to know their way around a probe, so I have come to you.

Anyway. Here are the things that are important to me:

Accurately measures the temperature of the object I stick it in.

Has an alarm to alert me when it reaches a temperature I can set.

Doesn't break at moderately high heat (<400 F in the oven, not in the object the probe is in).

It would be great if I could stick it in liquids every once in a while, but this is not essential.

I would also love to be able to set the alarmed temperature relatively low (<100 F), but if there is tradeoff between high temperature sensitivity and ability to work at low temperatures, I'll take one that does not break in the oven.

I like the looks of the Polder dual sensor probe but everyone on Amazon seems to think it breaks constantly. It claims that the dual thermometer settings measures temperature in oven and inside food with an actual temperature range from 32 to 572 degrees F, which is significantly higher than most other probes. Another negative, besides reviewer hatred, is that the replacement probes seem to be more expensive ($15).

The Pyrex has the best reviews but I can't find minimum and maximum recommended temperatures.

The Taylor and Polder look fine, but each gets a couple "it breaks all the time" reviews.

So, please, let me know: Are there any probes you love or loathe? No dirty stuff.

I have that Pyrex thermometer. I've probably used it a few dozen times, mostly with roasts and stockmaking. It's held up fine. I don't use it much anymore. As I've gained experience, I don't use the thermometer as much as I used to.

I have a Maverick Smoker thermometer, which works for me. If fact there is a piece of brisket cooking now...

Yes, the radio range is limited to about 20 yards.

Yes, the max and min alarms are somewhat awkward to set.

I've had to replace the batteries at about six months.

However, it seems reasonably reliable and accurate, and it has greatly improved the precision of my cooking.

The instruction manual says about temperature range

"The Redi Chek® Remote registers temperatures as low as 14 °F (-10 °C) and as high 410 °F (210 °C). LLL will be displayed below 14 °F and HHH will be displayed above 410 °F. Do not use the stainless steel probe sensor above 410 °F"

Edited by jackal10 (log)

I have the Polder Cooking Thermometer with Timer & Clock, your second link. I've used it in a 425F oven, I've also used it for roasts on our gas grill. It seems to be pretty accurate, as all the meats I've used it on came out exactly as expected as to level of doneness, including the grilled roasts. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it.

As always, your mileage may vary :-).

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

While I cannot substantiate it, my theory is that some people are dunking the probe, cable and all, into liquid and leaving it there and that these probes are being shorted out. I've been careful to only let the probe itself sit in liquid and not the cable which appears to be vulnerable.

I got the Maverick dual probe smoker remote thermometer and am still learning to use it. Others here swear by it. I found out that the company now has 6 foot long, heavy duty probe cables for about $13 each.

I have bought and used every remote probe thermometer on the market (avid gadgeteer) and have not been satisfied with any of them. Some have an alarm that is too faint to hear if one is in another room and the distance from my kitchen is too great to place the base where I can easily hear it when I am in another part of the house.

I can't use them in my big oven because it is a steam oven and even the thinnest cable will interrupt the steam seal.

I can't use them in my combination oven because the stand revolves and twists the cable.

I use instant read thermometers and separate timers and I highly recommend the Thermapen mentioned by esvoboda.

If I am cooking a roast or fowl for long periods, I use an Accu-Rite meat thermometer which has a dial that is big enough to read through the oven window and simply stays in the meat.

The older, larger types by Taylor are the ones I use in the barbecue because they have a movable marker on the outer rim that you can set for the target temperature and it is easy to see when the needle hits that point, without trying to read the numbers.

For liquids, I use thermometers designed for liquids. For low temperature applications, such as the liquids to be used in breads, particularly when dealing with large batches, I use a floating darkroom thermometer made by Kodak, which I have had for 20+ years. It has a range from -10 to +120 F. and is very accurate.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The pyrex can be used up to 394 degrees. I ended up purchasing the pyrex after reading the craptastic reviews on the polder. You'd think polder would have fixed their product by now.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Thank you for all the helpful replies. I'm looking for an alarmed thermometer because I tend to be the inattentive sort when it comes to processes that take a long time. And the last time I smoked some brisket I got really tired of taking the lid off the Weber grill and letting my heat out.

For liquids, I use thermometers designed for liquids. For low temperature applications, such as the liquids to be used in breads, particularly when dealing with large batches, I use a floating darkroom thermometer made by Kodak, which I have had for 20+ years. It has a range from -10 to +120 F. and is very accurate.

Thanks for this greaet idea. I actually bought a hot tub thermometer and used it in yogurt and cheesemaking, but it didn't float such that I could actually read the temperature without pulling it up out of the liquid and I got tired of cleaning all the milk out of the inside of it.

They are all about the same. I wouldn't put them in an oven over 400 (I know some of them say 425) naked and expect them to work again. Actually its the wire, not the probe itself that gets fried. You can circumvent this by wrapping the wire in tin foil to protect it. Personally I use a Polder (not the dual temp one) and

a Thermpen (best cooking-related present I ever got, bar none)

I have a Weber remote grill thermometer but it has yet to be tested.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

I have the Maverick Dual probe remote thermometer and I swear by mine. I've been using it well over a year now and I use it to or three times a week. I don't actually stick mine in liquid, but I use it on the BBQ and in the oven. The remote piece comes with me everywhere I go in the house and so far, it's always been accurate.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Thank you for all the helpful replies.  I'm looking for an alarmed thermometer because I tend to be the inattentive sort when it comes to processes that take a long time.  And the last time I smoked some brisket I got really tired of taking the lid off the Weber grill and letting my heat out. 

Thanks for this greaet idea. I actually bought a hot tub thermometer and used it in yogurt and cheesemaking, but it didn't float such that I could actually read the temperature without pulling it up out of the liquid and I got tired of cleaning all the milk out of the inside of it.

The one I have needs to be pulled up to read it but it is glass and I just wipe down the side I want to read. It is just 5 3/4 inches long so fits well in a quart jar.

I rinse it in cold water, wipe it with alcohol then rinse again before putting it away in a ziploc bag which I roll up and store in a sleeve of bubble wrap to protect the thing. Laboratory supply places are excellent sources for thermometers and have great pricing.

Kodak thermometer.

This one just has the best picture so you can see what it looks like.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 11 months later...

I am in the market for a meat thermometer. I have tried to do a bit of research, but I have to admit that I'm really stupid about this topic -- I'm getting confused about terminology.

Right now, I have a little metal one with a dial, which is not oven-safe. What I want most of all is to get a fairly accurate reading of the internal temperature of meats, without having to be obsessive about opening the oven and checking all the time. I think I want want of those digital thermometers that sits outside of the oven that is attached cord that is attached to the thing you stick in the meat (is this what a "probe" is?). What is the name of the thermometer am I looking for? Should I look for a certain brand? How much should I spend? I have seen ones for hundreds of dollars, which I definitely can't afford. Can I get a good one for $40-$60 (or less)?

I use the Maverick remote when I am smoking and it works fine. I wonder about the accuarcy but when I am smoking pork I do not nned to be exact. When I am doing aomething else that I reallly need temps for I use my instant read that I can calibrate.

The alarm works fine and it works in my house. But the reviewers are right, they are all of dubious quality. The probes are the issue, i just wipe mine down with a disinfectant wipe. Keep them away from water

I have a CDN brand and I'm not particularly satisfied. The buttons don't work half of the time, and it is not very intuitive on how to set the clock. I don't know about the accuracy, but some time I shall check it.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

My Maverick remote works fine and has really improved my meat smoking and roasting. I did treat myself with the Thermapen a few months ago and found that the Maverick reads about 5 degrees low, well within the accuracy for that device that you would expect, so I just adjust the alarm temp by 5 degrees now. (The Thermapen is certified to + or - 0.5 degrees F. That is one reason it ain't cheap.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

For a thermometer I can put inside the oven as food cooks, I have a Taylor glass thermometer with an attached stainless steel scale. It's just a thermometer and doesn't have any automatic features, alarms, cables, transmitter, etc.

I got the thing about 40 years ago, and it's been fine.

Since it is glass, sure, it could break. But, for glass, it is reasonably rugged. With reasonable handling, there is no good reason for it to break.

To clean it, I let soak a day or two in soapy water and then brush it and rinse it. To store it, I wrap it in a cushion of paper toweling, secure with a twist tie, and store in a shallow gadget drawer. This way, the thermometer has been safe for 40 or so years.

Maybe people break the glass when when inserting the thermometer into meat: For this step, usually the main resistance is just on the surface of the meat, and insertion is easy enough if just cut a small slit in the surface for the thermometer.

Sure, lots of automatic features, alarms, etc. in principle would be good, but in practice I can't see having a cable threaded out the door of my oven. Sure, if designing an oven starting with a clean sheet of paper, I might have a connection inside the oven for a suitable probe. My microwave oven has one of these although I have yet to use it!

I find that just a thermometer is enough: As the food begins to reach the desired final temperature, it is easy enough to see how often to check the temperature. For example, for BBQ where might be cooking for 16 hours, 30 minutes more or less near the end is of no great concern. So, say, after 14 hours, just check temperature every 30 minutes. For an alarm each 30 minutes, just use a kitchen timer. In addition, I wrote a little software to have such timers on my computer; the software plays a little tune when the time is up.

What would be the right food and wine to go with

R. Strauss's 'Ein Heldenleben'?

My advice: Buy from a Brick & Mortar with good service, even if the price is a bit higher. I find I tend to go through thermometers about once every 6 months, generally from the cable snagging on something and pulling the base onto the floor. I just take it back and they replace it no questions asked.

PS: I am a guy.

project, you bring up an interesting thought. Why don't stoves (and grills) have built-in probes, or built-in probe connections? Microwaves have them (at least some), the autoclave I have at work has them. Why not consumer ovens?

Of course, I'd also like a programmable oven so I can tell it do X for Y time, then do Z for A time.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Hate to admit it, but I've been using an el-cheap-o one that I got at Target for about $10.00 when I had to move into a rental. I love it, it works like a charm and it's a timer as well, with a LOUD ANNOYING alarm. :wub: I've only used it in the oven a couple of times to be sure a braise was braising and not boiling, but it worked great then and is wonderful for my thick top-of-the-stove pork chops, too.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

project, you bring up an interesting thought.  Why don't stoves (and grills) have built-in probes, or built-in probe connections?  Microwaves have them (at least some), the autoclave I have at work has them.  Why not consumer ovens?

Of course, I'd also like a programmable oven so I can tell it do X for Y time, then do Z for A time.

Why ovens don't have connections built in for temperature probes like microwave ovens and laboratory equipment?

For times X(1) < X(2) < ..., why don't ovens have a feature that permits at time X(i) start temperature Y(i), i = 1, 2, ...?

Answer: The whole oven industry is waiting on Robby, the Model 704 robot with stereo video vision, stereo ears, headlight in center of forehead, voice response, home WiMax Internet connection so that at work at 3 PM you can put on the special 3D glasses, the audio headset, and the data gloves wake up Robby, move to the stove and set the oven at 250 F, move to the sink and unwrap the frozen chuck roast you set out at 7 AM, put the roast in the big red LC pot, pour over a can of Campbell's Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup, insert a thermometer in the roast, place on the lid, move to the oven, open the oven door, turn on the headlight, reach in and pull out the rack, place the LC on the rack, slide in the rack, close the door, return Robby to his battery charging location, and tell him to call you back in two hours so you can read the thermometer. Net, you want the roast ready when you get home at 7 PM.

The industry is waiting on Robby because you might be out of Campbell's soup, tell Robby to get in your second car, drive to the store to get the soup, and lose the WiMax connection while Robby and the car were doing 55 MPH on the hills and curves of the NYS Taconic State Parkway! CRASH! BOOM! Tinkle, tinkle.

What would be the right food and wine to go with

R. Strauss's 'Ein Heldenleben'?