• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Sooo... I wanted to make some quick shortbread (Ling's recipe in RG) to take to a friend's house where I'm invited to dinner tonight.. as I'm already creaming the butter & sugar, I realize I have practically no ordinary flour left :shock: Improvising with the bits and pieces in my cupboard, instead of the 1 3/4 cup flour + 1/4 cornflour Ling specifies in the recipe, I used 1/2 cup AP flour + 1/2 cup 'OO' flour, 1/2 cup ground hazelnuts, and 1/2 cup wholemeal flour.. after that there was not a crumb of flour left and I had to use selfraising to roll the dough..

But anyway, the cookies turned out so delicious, that I want to share them.. the wholemeal gives them a chewy texture and the hazelnuts are lovely. And I'm so glad I can bring an after dinner treat to my friend as planned :smile:

hazelnootshortbread.jpg

Edited by Chufi (log)

Ling, you've gotten me addicted to Korova cookie dough!! It was all I could do not to eat one-third of it--I roll each batch in thirds.

That was my dessert, btw, together with a sampling of Andiesenji's cocoa cookie dough.

I made Korova cookies yesterday, too! I limited myself to just one for dessert, along with one peanut butter cookie (Ling's recipe in RG). I also had both for dessert yesterday and my friend, for whom I brought them, raved about them.

Korova cookies go especially well with Mariage Freres coconut tea, by the way. :wub:

gallery_38003_2183_84279.jpg

No competition here, (who can compete with Ling? not I), but here is my Honey Ricotta Cheesecake for dessert.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

^It's never a competition, just dessert-love :wub: I love ricotta cheesecake and your cheesecake looks great!

I just got off work and I'm kind of tired, so no baking for today. I ate a box of Glosette raisins after dinner, a handful of honey-roasted peanuts, and a handful of Valrhona fevres.

So finally the big day arrived, to make Ling's Caramel Apple Pie. Checked off the ingredients...cinnamon, got it; flour, got it; shortening, need to get it (actually there is no such thing as shortening here, just a very neutral margarine, which contains water, but it works). Went out and got my stuff, granny smith apples are way pricey so I got our local red sour apple, "Arap Kizi."

Made the filling, balked at the Tablespoon of vanilla but it didn't overpower it. Two tablespoons of cinnamon for a cinnamon explosion - yes, I'll be getting my fillings replaced next week. ;)

So then went on to make the crust - well, I *thought* I had flour... I needed 2 1/2 cups and only had 1 1/2. And it was midnight. (Yeah, I cook at odd hours...) So running out and buying flour was not an option, and I did have the oven heated after all... What to do - I had some oatmel so I used that the fill out the flour. Never tried an oatmeal crust, but it came out wonderfully, and balances the very strong flavor of the filling nicely.

Anyway...that's definitely a winner and will be made again soon. Thanks, Ling!

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

I haven't done much lately. I'm waiting for inspiration. But I did make these vanilla bean cupcakes with white chocolate ganache. The cupcake recipe is attributed to Michelle Gayer Nicholson. If you are careful not to overbake these, it makes a very good white cake. I got almost 2 dozen cupcakes out of the recipe.

gallery_23736_355_3847.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I made the spice out out of Rob Feenie's Lumiere cookbook today. It is good and moist, perfect for today's rainy weather. I doubled the amount of cinnamon because the original recipe only specified 1/2 tsp. for 2 cups of flour, and most of the other recipes I've used in the past has about 1 tsp. of cinnamon. I also substituted the cloves for cardamom, and added a quick oatmeal streusel topping (no recipe, just eyeballed everything).

(Those wet spots are actually raisins...I take bad photos...sorry!)

spice.jpg

Edited by Ling (log)

Andiesenji's cocoa cookies.

I subbed all of the white sugar for light brown--because I'm the only one who uses it, and I believe brown sugar can make practically everything taste better.

Yummy! I've still got about half a batch of dough. I need to practice shaping them though. It's too hot here, so it's all soft and wet before I'm done with it.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

I subbed all of the white sugar for light brown--because I'm the only one who uses it, and I believe brown sugar can make practically everything taste better.

Yummy! I've still got about half a batch of dough. I need to practice shaping them though. It's too hot here, so it's all soft and wet before I'm done with it.

I wonder...is there a big change from subbing white with brown sugar? Like, is the moistness, texture, taste affected?

I am in the process of fulfilling a dream, one that involves a huge stainless kitchen, heavenly desserts and lots of happy sweet-toothed people.

Looking great Michelle! It's a good thing I can't reach them...or else... Hehehe...

I am in the process of fulfilling a dream, one that involves a huge stainless kitchen, heavenly desserts and lots of happy sweet-toothed people.

I wonder...is there a big change from subbing white with brown sugar? Like, is the moistness, texture, taste affected?

I have no idea. I've never made them before. I used less sugar than the recipe stated though--I don't like too-sweet stuff, and 2 cups seemed like too much.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

I'm cheating a bit, because I did not have this for dessert myself, since I baked it for a friend's birthday.. but I was kind of proud of how this one turned out..

Friend tells me it tasted great :smile:

Chocolate mocha hazelnut cake

chocamoka.jpg

^Ooh, Chufi that looks good! I love chocolate with hazelnut.

A few days ago I made a chocolate beet cake. There's an organic café called Aphrodite's in Vancouver that serves a really good version of this cake, so I was intrigued to try making it. The recipe didn't tell me whether or not to squeeze the grated beets, so I did. Hmmm, the cake was quite heavy, so next time I'm not gonna squeeze the beets. It was pretty moist and had an earthy flavor, which I liked. I served it with whipped cream sweetened with maple syrup, with pomegranate seeds strewn on top, and this absolutely amazing product we received for Christmas called Esk River Artisan Foods Sticky Wine Glaze. It is outrageously good, with port-like characteristics. I have a har time not eating right off the spoon. It is made from red wine, wine must, sugar, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar and spices. Combined with the pomegranate it set firecrackers to that cake.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

OK. Dumb question. Arent pomegranite seeds mainly just a big seed with a little flesh on it? I remember having them when I was little. I liked the taste, but didn't like eating them because there seemed to be more seed than flesh. Am I correct? They are pretty, and tasty, but I just don't think I'd enjoy having pomegranite seeds in a dessert. Are you supposed to eat them, or are they just for presentation?