• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Road Trip Part Deux.. US-50

Daniel

http://www.roadtripusa.com/us_50/index.html

Going back to Vegas for another convention.. Again, I will be leaving on a Thursday and having to be back to work on a Tuesday. We were deciding between driving from Las Vegas to Seattle and then flying home from Seattle.. Or driving across the country again.. Last time was so much fun we have decided to do it again.. We are leaving on March 5th.. Was hoping for some great places to stop along the way. I really appreciated your help from the last trip. And of course will be documenting the trip like last time as well..

Daniel

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...60entry770712

Edited by Daniel (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Leaving this thursday.. You can see my route in the post above.. Taking i think I-70 until i hook up with 50.. No one can think of anything worth stopping by..

Definately going to KC. Does anyone know if Memphis is a reasonable, pit stop on my way back to NYC? Or assuming i would be staying for like a breakfast and a double lunch, how long would that take me out of my way? Any suggestions in memphis or kc? Or i guess colorado, utah. mizerah, kansas, ect.

Edited by Daniel (log)

In KC, if you look up some barbecue (which you should) - here are some ideas, in my personal order of preference along with suggested menu items:

LC's (burnt ends, beef sandwich, fries, beans)

Oklahoma Joe's (ribs, turkey, sausage, carolina sandwich, unusual beans - burnt ends only available on Wednesday)

Fiorella's Jack Stack (lamb ribs, crown prime of beef, martin city sandwich, beans, cheesy corn)

or

Winslow's City Market Barbecue isn't too bad either (burnt ends, ribs, beans, fries).

Keep in mind if you do induldge in 'cue in KC that the speciality of the town is burnt ends and most places also strive to do a good beef sandwich.

Here is a fairly recent KC thread:

click here for KC BBQ thread.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

In KC, if you look up some barbecue (which you should) - here are some ideas, in my personal order of preference along with suggested menu items:

Keep in mind if you do induldge in 'cue in KC that the speciality of the town is burnt ends and most places also strive to do a good beef sandwich.

click here for KC BBQ thread.

Oh yes, i am indulging.. I am planning on hitting at least 4 places in the 16 to 20 hours i will be spending there.. I will look at these links.. Thanks... I will be sending pics.

Oklahoma Joe's (ribs, turkey, sausage, carolina sandwich, unusual beans - burnt ends only available on Wednesday)

Just look for the ugliest gas station/mini-mart combo you can imagine, down the street from the hospital and there you are at Oklahoma Joe's!

EDIT - Actually... here's a picture:

gallery_18_2_1094420243.jpg

I've not been there myself, but I've heard a few folks talk about Strouds in Kansas City, always positively.

Stroud's is very good, although there's usually a wait. I've only been to the Oak Ridge Manor location, but there's also one downtown. The best items there are probably the fresh-killed fried chicken, the fried pork chops, and the fried catfish. Actually, well... anything they fry.

EDIT AGAIN - Actually here's a photo of that too... Stroud's Oak Ridge Manor, I mean.

gallery_18_2_434316.jpg

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Just look for the ugliest gas station/mini-mart combo you can imagine, down the street from the hospital and there you are at Oklahoma Joe's!

I've not been there myself, but I've heard a few folks talk about Strouds in Kansas City, always positively.

Stroud's is very good, although there's usually a wait. I've only been to the Oak Ridge Manor location, but there's also one downtown.

Hmm i dont think anyone can beat the one on my last trip in Arizona.. The place doubled as an adult book store.. , My cell phone's ringer was havenagellah at the time.. While filling up next to this half drunk beer bellied man wearing nothing other then flip flops and the shortest pair of daisy dukes with tall boy in hand, it started ringing. I thought that was going to be the end of me.. :biggrin:

Edited by Daniel (log)

I dont know if i am going to hit ohio. I think we are going to try to make it to Memphis from KC..But i am not too good with maps so I dont know if i still would be going to through Ohio.. But hey, i can get excited for chili.

If you're not careful in Cincinnatti they'll put spaghetti in your chili!  Not my favorite (give me hominy with mine) but when in Rome.

Heh. Well, technically there's:

1-way: chili

2-way: spaghetti & chili

3-way: spaghetti, chili & cheese

4-way: spaghetti, chili, onions OR beans & cheese

5-way: spaghetti, chili, beans, onions & cheese

I suppose because of Adkins, these days you might be able to come up with some convincing story to get a higher number minus the spaghetti. Maybe. :hmmm:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 4 weeks later...

Came back on Monday.. Had a great trip.. Saw Vegas, Arch's National Park, Vail, Winery in Colorado, Kansas City, St Louis, Memphis, Baltimore, and finally home.. Had to cut out philly and jersey due to weather conditions and getting stuck in rush hour.. Will have the first installment up in a little bits.

Edited by Daniel (log)

• 2 months later...

OK.. Well it has been a long over due reporting..I have been home for almost three months now.. I have had a lot of time to recover and unfortunately forget my trip.. It has been a lot of fun looking at photos and remembering this amazing time..

We spent a week in vegas before we left.. We ate at a bunch of different places but only photographed three..

Las Vegas:

The first place Lotus of Siam. I went with my girlfriend and father to dinner here.. This place as many of you know about is an excellent Thai Place.. Place is better or thaid with Sripraphrai in Queens,NY.. They have many regional items. Super friendly service and they are not afraid to put on the surgical gloves and throw some habaneros in the Tom Yum Soup...

gallery_15057_1287_308942.jpg

Here is a picture of a sausage app.

gallery_15057_1287_222095.jpg

A couple of satays.. Why the heck not..

gallery_15057_1287_401284.jpg

Fried Catfish Salad: This is not as good as Sri.. But its really terrific.. Refreshing as well as spicy.. If i didn't have the salad at Sri, this would definitely be my favorite salad..

gallery_15057_1287_898864.jpg

We then had fried shrimp.. Pretty good.. Cooked perfectly a little pedestrian.. This meal i had a less adventurous eater so I was trying to give a general intro...

gallery_15057_1287_729721.jpg

This is one of my favorite rice dishes ever.. Its spicy puffed fried rice served with lemon, cilantro, and pork.. Really terrific,,

gallery_15057_1287_959465.jpg

This dish was outstanding.. It was off of the specials menu.. I forgot the name but It was a pork dish of some sort.. Really spicy and really tastey..

gallery_15057_1287_569891.jpg

The meal was really good.. Everything was good on its on right.. I just blew the ordering. I went more with a Thai tapas type deal.. I should have just ordered how i regularly.. However, it was still really good and my dining guests were more then happy..

The next place we went was outstanding as well.. Its called Diego.. It located in the MGM Grand.. Its a Mexican restaurant that certainly tries to capture some of the magic Rick Bayless has.. In fact, i think he was a consultant, and helped construct the menu or train the staff.. A few weeks later I was in Chicago and noticed it even more after going to Frontera Grill..

I must say that my Mexican Restaurant experience has been limited.. A Taco Bell, a Chipotle, a Taco Truck or a Chi Chi's once or twice in middle school was my experiences.. And even later on I tried an upscale Oaxacan Place or two, but always thought i was missing out on some really good food.. Well this place gave me the understanding and experience of how this food was supposed to be prepared and what to look for in meals to come.. I must say though in my memories defense.. I dont know if I even remembered much about the specifics of this meal the next day.. The ta-kill-ya was flowing that night..

Like all good meals, we started with drinks. They have one of the better Margaritas I have had.. After going to the bar and asking the bartender.. He told me that he uses Tequila, Rock Candy Syrup and lime juice.. Outstanding..

For pre-app while looking over the menu, we bit at the waiters quick sale on the guacamole. It was fantastic.. A little twist, we reluctantly watched as the waiter added sun dried tomatoes.. It worked really well. They didn't add to many and it really cheered up the dish..

gallery_15057_1287_429025.jpg

For appetizers we had a spicy goat tacos and queso fundido.. These were outstanding.. Crispy and flavorful.. I have had goat several times and never could distinguish it from another meat.. Here I was able to real get the feel of goat..

gallery_15057_1287_74407.jpg

The Queso Fundido is the best I have had.. Its better then the one at Frontera, its better then any i will ever have.. Served in a mini iron skillet, tons of melted cheese, chorizo, and onions.. This thing was heaven..

gallery_15057_1287_249299.jpg

We then went on to split an entree. The carnitas.. A truly great dish.. Dont remember the specifics but after looking at this photo, I wish i was eating it right now..I also loved that textured plate..

gallery_15057_1287_407382.jpg

We ended the dinner with a chocolate tres leches cake.. Great idea, however it just didn't work. We make tres leches rather well and although the cake was great.. The chocolate kind of canceled out the sweet taste of the milks and came through like a chocolate milk cake. It was good, but not worthy of finishing this meal..

gallery_15057_1287_110231.jpg

So, we then decided to do the three shot deal.. This happens to be the best value on the menu.. And although they offer this as dessert, i would get this through out the meal.. Its basically three shots of tequila mixed with sorbets of your choice.. I think the price is like 7 bucks.. As opposed to one shot of like 8-10 bucks.. One of my shots i think had habanero in it somwehere?

gallery_15057_1287_880293.jpg

Day One:

Our last day in Vegas..I worked until about three and went to rent a car.. No mustanger this time.. So we started our journey with our first and last chain.. Besides us supposedly going to the first started White Castle Restaurant in Kansas!

gallery_15057_1287_776624.jpg

Ahh In-N-Out Burger.. A topic of much conversation.. Loved by all.. Except maybe me.. Dont get me wrong the place is good.. But great? I dont think so.. Very good, amazing for a chain, yes.. But even after looking at the picture, It definitely deserves respect..

gallery_15057_1287_294481.jpg

So we headed out across I-70.. Blazing through AZ on our way to Utah. Home of the best Mexican? I dont think so.. This place happen to coincide with us being hungry and needing gas.. It was pitch black at night and this sign could not be ignored.. Although, we should have!

Ahh yes.. Burning through the Utah Sky.." I was thinking to myself this could be heaven or this could be hell"..

gallery_15057_1287_353123.jpg

and if I wasn't sold yet.. .this sign was the clincher..

gallery_15057_1287_301501.jpg

Fajita

gallery_15057_1287_880516.jpg

Chicken Taco

gallery_15057_1287_469405.jpg

Well lets put it this way.. We didn't get sick! That's always a plus.. This place was one of the more weird places I have been to.. In the middle of nowhere Utah was this little restaurant/home/nursery.. Staffed with Mexican people speaking broken English I was very excited.. After getting the cockeyed look for ordering a beer and being told my limit was one. I knew that these foreign born restaurateurs might have assimilated a little too well to Utah.. Now this is the shitty Mexican Food I am used to.. And I mean they really no how to plate a taco.. So we ended our day a few hundred miles down the road right outside Arch's National Park..

Day 2 coming Arch's National Park, Colorado Vineyards, Vail Colorado, and Kansas..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Day 2:

We stayed at a really cute Motel right outside of Arch's National Park.. In fact John Wayne had stayed at this motel while filming a movie.. Lucky for us, we were able to snag the John Wayne Suite.. This place was really charming.. Very cowboy'd out.. It was really warm and comfortable..

A funny thing about traveling cross country.. You really need to be aware of the time change.. Wether its trying to get to a restaurant before it closes, or waking up at certain times.. It can get confusing.. So Day 2 we started at I think 500 AM.. The sun had yet to rise.. But "we" my girlfriend, were convinced that it was later.. But none the less, that half hour of sleep i had, was well deserved.. hehe.. Just kidding suitee pie.

This picture was literally taken an hour after we had been awake.. We left the motel, entered the park and waited to see where exactly the heck we were.. None the less.. It was one of the more beautiful sunrises i have ever seen..

gallery_15057_1287_852274.jpg

Ahhh this is where we are:

Even better

gallery_15057_1287_316713.jpg

Arch's National Park is absolutely stunning.. Really amazing..I didn't know stuff like this existed.. This area they called Park Avenue.. The rock structures reminded people of the huge buildings in New York.. Also besides the stunning Arch's, there are these huge rocks balancing everywhere.. Really cool..

gallery_15057_1287_758462.jpg

This thing i had to hike to see this sucker.. I was obviously complaining about the walking at the time.. But for the picture alone it was worth it.. Its like 6 am and I am already delirious.. Not a good sign..

gallery_15057_1287_329188.jpg

So we havent hit any place worth eating at yet, but we need gas.. We go into this little general store slash gas station and meet a nice old couple.. They are telling us that they have just gotten back yesterday from being away for the entire winter... I not noticing that the store is fully stocked decided to buy the different regional junk foods I have never seen before.. About half way through my first nut roll, about 20 minutes down the road.. I realize that these old bastards decided to serve us food that has been sitting around in the desert for the last 5 months.. The only thing that survived was the dill pickle sunflower seeds..

gallery_15057_1287_377000.jpg

So after driving for what seemed forever with no radio besides random talk shows.. Which I am happy to say we got on the air a few times and spoke with the host..!!! We arrived in Colorado.. And to our surprise in the middle of March, in the Middle of these gorgeous mountains, we see grapes.. What a beautiful site, especially against those mountains.. We thought we were seeing a mirage..

gallery_15057_1287_172934.jpg

The first winery we went to was really bland.. The people sucked and were really stingey with the pouring.. We left rather quickly because they were signs directing us to other vineyards..

We came upon Debqueo Vineyard.. This place was absolutely amazing.. Working there was one of the coolest ladies.. She was really happy to see us and was rather heavy handed.. Since i was the driver and hadnt eaten anything besides pickle flavored nuts that day, i had to bow out.. But she kept serving my girlfriend.. We ended up leaving with a case of wine and directions to Vail..

gallery_15057_1287_468885.jpg

So we arrive in Vail, Colorado.. In the middle of March, skiers everywhere, and the sun is shining.. To our surprise its remarkably warm outside, regardless that there is snow everywhere.. Whats even more surprising is everyone is eating lunch outside while watching people ski down the mountain.. At this point its so hot outside we are both wearing t-shirts.. Very strange.. We at some fake German Ski Lodge place.. Had a couple of brats, with a german wheat beer.. The spaetzle was the best thing on the plate.. I dont remember the name but its not really worth remembering..

gallery_15057_1287_576182.jpg

It really was so beautiful and so surreal to be sitting out in a ski lodge on such a perfect day.. I will remember always remember that day..

We drove on for a while until we hit Kansas..While driving into Kansas, i had my friend check the computer.. One of my goals of the trip was to visit the very first White Castle... But to my shock and complete horror, it has been torn down.. I mean completely leveled.. This is one of the draw backs of American Culture, we are so quick to tear down and forget.. I mean if this was Europe, that White Castle would have been preserved.. It would have been coveted and fanny pack wearing tourists from around the world would gather and spend hours and hours hearing stories and taking pictures with actors dressed in the original uniforms complete with paper hats for souvenir photos..

So, i needed a quick burger fix.. We stopped by the place called the Country Burger Restaurant..

gallery_15057_1287_346344.jpgIt looked very interesting.. The burgers looked really good.. One interesting thing was that there slogan was, if you dont see it on the menu, just ask and we will try to make it.. If i only had the time and the desire to screw with people.. What fun it would have been..

gallery_15057_1287_432266.jpg

But all in all, it did nothing to make me forget about the careless desicration of a National Treasure, that is White Castle.

I promise, day three is where the eating starts.. Burgers for breakfast and what not.. Cozy Inn, Kansas City, St. Louis and Memphis..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Day Three:

So after a long night of looking out my Holiday Inn window and Contemplating the walk across a minor highway to a gas station in order to get a couple of beers and whatever nourishment one can get from a Exon Quickie Mart, the morning has finally arrived.. And more important then that, I just so happen to be in Salina Kansas... And even more important then that, Salina Kansas just so happens to be the home of the Cozy Inn.. Now, i am still pretty bent out of shape about my White Castle trauma.. But maybe a tiny little grilled burger with tons of onions might ease the pain..

gallery_15057_1287_42513.jpg

Yup yup... This will work.. A little hole in the wall on a small street in a little town.. .Opened in 1922,, This tiny burger counter that seats about 10 is able to make an entire town smell of fried onions..This place reminds me of the scene from Seinfeld, where Jerry couldn't get the smell out of his car.. The smell of onions has not only enveloped the town, but travels with us well into Kansas City..

On our way to Kansas City we happen to stop by an amazing Iron Works.. We ended up buying a really pretty clock.. I highly recommend this place to whoever is in the area.. Will insert pictures later.. Celestial Ironworks..

gallery_15057_1287_395128.jpg

Kansas City... On to the oink!

Ok its now like lunch time and its time for me and my squirrel to get a nice plate a oink.. First stop Oklahoma Joes.. I mean this place is one stop shopping heaven for a weary traveler.. Its a gas station, a rib place, a convenience store, and a liquor store.. (How many jobs you have mon !) But besides the liquor, and the gas, lets talk about the bbq.. This place is amazing.. A line that snakes outside might be a little scary at first.. But it gave us plenty of time to speak with folks in line and decide on what we were ordering.. And what did we decide? " give us everything please.. "

We got the ribs, the pulled pork sandwich, the spicy coleslaw, the brisket sandwich...

It was all really really good.. I must say, it was the best pulled pork sandwich i have ever had The ribs were fantastic too.. One thing i have to say about KC is, i dont like how they over sauce the ribs.. These however, were done perfectly.. One could add more if they wanted, but i didnt.. Its a different style then i normally like.. But i could really appreciate how well these were done.. The sweetness of the pork really came out.. And have a better understanding of why people like this style.. But after being across the country twice now eating bbq.. Oklahoma Joes has the pork sandwich belt..

Now that's a nice plate of oink right there!!!

gallery_15057_1287_96862.jpg..

Next stop LC'S.. This place is an absolute shack. I mean it dont get no shackier then this.. But to me, this makes it all the more charming.. This place is like the down and dirty bbq.. This place also is an example of what i dont like about KC bbq.. Again, i could see how people love it, but for me its way to saucy, and way to sweet.. I am more of a dry rub, extra spicy, extra smokey guy.. I am on the extreme side of wanting it killed with spice and smoke. Not drowned with a over sweet bbq sauce.. However to each his own.. If that's your style you will love this place..

LC'S Building gallery_15057_1287_979505.jpg

lc's smoker gallery_15057_1287_229022.jpg

lc's meal gallery_15057_1287_1025476.jpg

So after being really impressed by Oklahoma Joes and deciding that this was the best place in town.. We decided to go on to Memphis..

Along the way we stopped in at Crown Candy.. Someone from my first road trip had suggested this place and spoke of a marshmallow phosphate.. Now i must tell you, this has been haunting me ever since.. I firstly never had or heard of a phosphate, let alone a marshmallow one.. So we were pleased to hear that we would be passing directly by it.. For those of you who dont know what Crown Candy is, I shall explain.. Its an old soda fountain that has been around since 1913.. They make their own chocolates, ice creams, and phosphates.. There is also a small menu of dinner type food.. Its not in the best of neighborhoods, so we were more then happy to see a bunch of police cars outside.. But once you step inside you are sent back in time.. A time when soda was made by mixing syrup and seltzer.. pictured..

gallery_15057_1287_800802.jpg

gallery_15057_1287_782624.jpg

gallery_15057_1287_829995.jpg

Sunday

If there ever was a place to get a hot fudge sunday, this is the place.. Served with vanilla ice cream, homemade hot fudge, marshmallow, and candied walnuts.. Oh baby.. Rerry refreshing. We also got a marshmallow phosphate and a vanilla milk shake not pictured,, But we needed something for the car ride to Memphis, just in case, just in case..

gallery_15057_1287_232281.jpg

Our next stop was a gas station in Arkansas.. Or as we like to pronounce it Our Kansas..

We were only in R-Kansas for a short time and there wasn't much happening food wise.. So we decided to get some souvenir hats.. When the food is long and gone we still have our memories and of course our hats.. You could obviously see by this point the two of us have lost our minds.. Maybe it was just me, but whoever painted the lines on the highway in R-Kansas didn't make straight lines..

gallery_15057_1287_219141.jpg

So we arrived in Memphis at around 230 am.. This has been a very long day.. We have only one driver, me, and i have been going since before 5 am.. We stop in at our Hotel, the Peabody.. Now we have no prior knowledge to what goes on in Memphis.. But was more then surprised to be told by the concierge that everything is still open.. In fact, everything is always open.. We head up to our rooms and quickly fix ourselves.. Then we head over to Beale Street.. Within minutes we are drinking in some club with this amazing group performing.. Maybe it was the whiskey, or the 2 for one beers being practically handed out, but they were really good..

gallery_15057_1287_802870.jpg

After a few hours at the club we head back onto the street.. Their we find the city still in full swing.. We head over to another bar that also makes really really incredibly really good cheese burgers.. The name escapes me, as did the fact that we ate the cheeseburger until viewing the photos from the night before..

gallery_15057_1287_200149.jpg

Then after a few more clubs and a couple of races down the hallway on a room service cart, day three was done..

Day four.. Beale street in the day, and on to Graceland and knoxville....

Edited by Daniel (log)

Day 4:

Technically,i should have included a large part of the Beale street goings on with the last post.. But i am counting days in terms of sleep cycles.. Our day four begins 3 and a half hours after day 3 ended.. Oy, today is going to be a rough one.. One thing I know is, the best cure all for morning sickness is grease.. If this was true, i would be Ponce De leon and Dyer's in Memphis would be my fountain of youth. Not only do they fry their burgers in grease, but there grease is aged.. How aged? 1912 aged.. I am not kidding here.. The grease that they deep fry there burgers in is the original grease from when the store opened.. In fact, when they changed locations the grease was escorted by armed guards.. A little much, perhaps with the guards, but well worth it.. Basically, they strain the grease at night, leave it sitting out, but covered and heat it up in the morning.. Unbelievable..

gallery_15057_1287_234687.jpg

This isnt the best shot of the burger but you can see the cheese and pickles on it.. Also served with mustard... This burger is fabulous.. Deep fried burgers, it really doesn't get much better.

gallery_15057_1287_533958.jpg

Ok so after a couple of burgers we are on our way to feeling better.. The next step to the recovery process includes some hair from the offending canine.. We go on to BB Kings.. We are happy to see a blues band setting up.. What trip to Memphis would be complete with out hearing some blues.. I know BB Kings is in NYC, but this is the only place playing music this early.. Also next to BB Kings there is a great music store where one could stock up on some good music..

Pictured is fried catfish fingers, fried dill pickles, a blue drink with something flammable in it... I really like the jars..

gallery_15057_1287_61850.jpg

So we go back to our room to check out and go on to Graceland.. When we go back to the lobby we see all these ducks hanging out in the fountain that I had not noticed before.. Immediately, I begin to think, if I can just create a diversion, I could grab one of these suckers and no one would ever miss it.. Or maybe if i left a bread trail into the elevator. Screw the mint on the pillow routine, leave one of these in my room.. Of course I am kidding (I like the mints too :rolleyes: )

gallery_15057_1287_43228.jpg

Next stop Elvis's House.. We see the house, the plane, we dont see the famous fried banana sandwich? While turning around in a parking lot i see a sign for Jr's Chicken..Now looking at this sign even i know it sucks, you know it sucks, but for some reason (beer sign) i go in.. My rule of thumb for most place is a place that has too much variety normally sucks.. Also i have a gyro rule.. If a place sells pizza and gyro's,it gonna be horrible. Most places that throw in a gyro on the menu means not only is the gyro and after thought, but the whole place is terrible.. This is not fact, but has proven rather consistent.

gallery_15057_1287_292926.jpg

This is fried chicken on a stick, with fried eggplant, fried pickles, and some other vegetable.. Not to good.. Not to good indeed.

gallery_15057_1287_56474.jpg

Next stop Corky's..

gallery_15057_1287_530657.jpg

This place seems to be the most successful BBQ place down there.. There is a bunch of them and they are even selling rib and meat packages on QVC.. The thing that stands out for me most is the sauce.. Corky's extra spicy is outstanding.. I bought several bottles of this stuff.. My problem is, I just dont happen to like bbq sauce on my ribs.. I am a dry rub guy and havent found a use for it yet.

Another fantastic plate A Oink!! The pork sandwich is very good. Not as good as Joes, but very good.. The ribs are the best I have eaten so far.. The rub is great, the ribs are really smokey (Not smokey enough).. These are the best ribs I have had so far.. I am kicking myself that I missed the brisket for that stoopid chicken stick..

gallery_15057_1287_1099801.jpg

So from here we leave Graceland and drive on to the Gaylord Opryland Hotel.. This place was incredible.. We hadnt heard much about this place, when we arrive its kind of shocking.. Its a huge complex with restaurants, a hotel, bars, and many other services all kept within some sort of biosphere.. There are plants, and waterfalls, and bridges.. We were really excited to stay here, except for the fact that they were charging 400 dollars a night.. So after going to one of the bars, we notice that there is a huge Wallmart Convention taking place in this hotel.. I come up with the bright idea of telling the front desk that I am with Wallmart, thinking they will give me some sort of discount.. The manager quickly comes back and hands me a room key and tells me that I have a roommate and his name is Jim.. This really bugs us out.. I would love to stay at this place, but we dont want to stay with Jim.. I then tell the manager I am hear with my wife.. He tells me that I had been instructed that spouses were not invited to the convention.. I ask him to excuse me for one second and we jump in the car and get the heck out of there..

Day four ended in Knoxville.. Day five begins with Calhouns BBQ for breakfast Littons for breakfast two and various NC BBQ'S for dinner..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Holy Crap Dano, I just stopped in and saw this post. I will need time to read it all. You are a true food enthusiast and by far have the best Posts on this forum. I will send another reply when I get a chance to read this all.

"make it better"

Day 5:

So day five begins with less confusion then day four ended with.. It turns out that our hotel was not on Heel Street as the guy at the front desk had directed us to, but in fact, it was on Hill Street.. There seemed to be some slight confusion on my part for not picking up on his accent..

So we awake that morning to see pamphlets in the visitors section telling us about this rib place called Calhouns.. It certainly looks like a really nice place.. Perhaps a little too nice, its right along the water. There are big beautiful windows allowing you to gaze out on whatever river it was along.. But the thing that stood out the most to me, was the claim that they were voted best ribs in some National Cook-Off.. Now i understand this certainly doesn't mean that i am expecting the worlds best rib, but I was certainly expecting a decent rib to be coming my way.. Not to mention the front desk staff was touting this place as the second coming... All not true.. This place was fair at best. We started looking at the menu and you tend to get suspicious when a place you havent heard of starts writing famous next to everything on the damn menu.. But one thing that peaked my interests was the famous green chicken chili.. I figured this would make a good breakfast appetizer.. It was pretty good. Lets just say they got the green chicken chili part of the name was right..

gallery_15057_1287_1232805.jpg

The second breakfast appetizer was fried shrimp served with wing sauce and blue cheese..

And just so there is no confusion, that combo is about as bad as one could imagine.. It was better with out the condiments..

gallery_15057_1287_33887.jpg

I honestly dont know what type of shady competition or what has since happened to Calhouns post victory, but lets just say these ribs were bad.. I have never had ribs at Fridays or Bennigans.. However, I really don't feel its right to insult them by comparing Calhounds ribs to theirs with out giving those places a try.. I wanted to go back and beat the concierge with that rack of ribs.. Not really, but you know.. In Calhouns defense, they did have beer..

gallery_15057_1287_732113.jpg

Next stop Littons Diner:

What can I say about Littons Diner that hasn't been written about in Road Food, or on the Net, or expressed through the multitudes of cars and people crowding this place.. Oh yeh, "Its not that good" This place again had been talked about like it was the best burger in the world.. Its pretty good.. But great? That's just not something I readily hand out to every place that seems to be able to make a consistently average burger..

gallery_15057_1287_919914.jpg

This is a fried onion burger with pimento cheese.. I preferred the other burger.. The fries were really good. The extra crispy type that are so charred on the outside they are hollow or porous on the inside...

gallery_15057_1287_272410.jpg

I heard that the pies and desserts are terrific however.. But at this point, I have two bad meals in me in a span of about an hour.. And i couldn't got through the let down of their desserts not being good.. So, Litton's for me will always have really good desserts.. Not to mention our waitress somehow happened to have multiple herpes on her lips. I dont know if she wore an infected Halloween mask, or found a tooth brush on the street, but it certainly didn't add to the charm..

Next stop North Carolina...

Because we decided to drive like 800 miles out of our way to go to Memphis, we are a little behind on time right now.. But if this is going to be a true BBQ trip, we cant with good conscience drive by North Carolina with out hitting one of the styles of pork sangwiches.. So like many before us we head to, Lexington, what many consider the spot for NC Cue..

On our way to Lexington BBQ, in Lexington N.C, we place a couple of BBQ places.. One place to my disappointment is closed its called Hendrix BBQ..

gallery_15057_1287_104401.jpg

This place is another shackity shack that looked really good.. If I lowered my shoulder into this place, it would have crumbled apart.. Judging by the sign, I am assuming they do pig and chicken.. They should add a plus sign and have a smiley face ending the equation on their billboard..

gallery_15057_1287_889152.jpg

This picture was actually taken in the parking lot of Hendrix.. Directly across the street was Tarheel BBQ..

That's Tarheel not Tarhill.. Smile..

gallery_15057_1287_1252498.jpg

This place consisted of a counter and small dinning room..

gallery_15057_1287_812743.jpg

There are two ways one can order a pork sandwich at these North Carolina BBQ places. One is getting chunks of pork or getting it shredded.. I am a shredded man myself, so my first sandwich at this place I went chunks and by the second sandwich I knew to get pulled or shredded.. Served with sweet sweet iced tea it was a really good sandwich..

At this point i am starting to understand North Carolina pork sandwiches.. Its subtle flavors of the smoke, or of the vinegar, that is all supposed to bring out the flavor and react with the sweetness of the pork.. It is not to over power, but to enhance..

gallery_15057_1287_6440.jpg

So after being side tracked with a few different sandwich stops along the way, we finally arrive out our main destination.. Lexington BBQ.. This place has been highly touted and revered in many different places.. I must agree this place was fantastic.. Some of the best Hush puppies i have ever had.. And the sandwich was fantastic.. However, as much as I respect it, I still want more smoke and cracklings in my sandwich.. Perhaps I will never learn..

gallery_15057_1287_141360.jpg

Smoke house attached to the tiny restaurant inside...

gallery_15057_1287_735765.jpg

gallery_15057_1287_844670.jpg

Great story.. So after our meal i go outside and take a picture of the smoke house.. As I am taking a picture of the sign a guy comes out and offers to take a picture of me and my girlfriend underneath the sign.. After that we start to speak and because of my Arkansas hat he asks me if i am from R-Kansas. I tell him that I got the hat in R-Kansas and that we are driving through. I also told him that we just came from Memphis..He then tells me that he is the owners son in law and he could show me around if i like. His name is like Tom or something but he told me his nickname is Bubba.. He told me he saw the irony it as well.. I am more the excited to see the process..

Here is the pork that will be cooked over night.. I says to bubba that's a lot of oink right there i says.

gallery_15057_1287_30347.jpg

Here are a few done pieces.. He starts pulling off pieces and handing them to us.. I happily took this smokey greasy pieces of oink from guy.. A great experience..

gallery_15057_1287_25456.jpg

So this is where the sandwiches are made.. I am guessing that half a plate is some sort of scooper of some sort.. I just like the photo.. Its like the lights of heaven are shining down...A lone man and his oink..

gallery_15057_1287_454645.jpg

I wish I had more secrets or info to pass along.. But it was so nice of him to show us around and to let me take pictures.. I didn't tell him i was even doing a write up or review of places, and he was so nice and informative.. Not that was even the purpose of this trip.. The purpose of this trip was to see places like Lexington, NC and to meet nice people like Bubba and of course the oink..

We ended day 5 we ended in Baltimore..

Next stop NYC baby..

Day 6

We stayed at a really cool place in Baltimore... It was called the Captains something.. We show up real late, late at 2 or 3 am.. The place looks really cozy except for the fact that people tell us that the place is haunted.. We show up in the room to find the phone ringing and the toilet flushing.. This wasn't too comforting.. Great!

We wake the following morning hungry and looking for crabs.. All we know is we want a place that has the mallets and brown paper covering the table.. This place is even better, they have crayons too...

Unfortunately its not crab season and its really early so not many places have crabs available.. We end up going to a local bar and waiting for this place to open.. We sit and watch the food network while we drink beers.. It finally opens and we are served jumbo crabs.. This is one of my first crab experience so we are very happy and they are terrific.. However, i have since gone back to Baltimore and have found nothing like O'Bryckis.. But as this point I am happy with we ordered..

gallery_15057_1287_1093020.jpg

So at this point we have to both be at work the next day but its very early.. We know the area rather well so we start deciding between cheese steaks in Philly, or White Rose burgers in Hyland Park, NJ.. Or maybe the greese trucks in New Brunswick.. Or most likely all three.. All of a sudden it starts snowing.. The radio stations start calling this thing a blizzard,, They are talking about the unbelievable traffic and the accidents.. Not wanting to get caught in rush hour we go from Baltimore to New York.. This was a bad way to end the trip but was very happy that we got home without incident.. We ended up going back to Baltimore like two weeks later.. Here is a link eG Forums ->trip to philly and baltimore

All in all this was a great experience.. I can honestly say I have not only learned a lot about BBQ, but a lot about how amazing America is.. This trip has made me a better person. And its such a shame how much people miss by just "flying over" these places.. I wrote a song about it. Just kidding.. :biggrin:

Edited by Daniel (log)

OK, I was really worried when your road food trip started out with Thai food, even if it's from the best Thai restaurant this side of Bangkok.

But from then on - I'm mega impressed - both by the choices and your managing to get so many miles in between meals. Well done. Very well done.

Pics are great too.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

You and your girlfriend certainly had adventures in eating! Thanks so much for sharing them. I respect your capacity and envy your metabolism. :biggrin:

Michael aka "Pan"

Next stop Elvis's House.. We see the house, the plane, we dont see the famous fried banana sandwich?  While turning around in a parking lot i see a sign for Jr's Chicken..Now looking at this sign even i know it sucks, you know it sucks, but for some reason (beer sign) i go in.. My rule of thumb for most place is a place that has too much variety normally sucks.. Also i have a gyro rule.. If a place sells pizza and gyro's,it gonna be horrible. Most places that throw in a gyro on the menu means not only is the gyro and after thought, but the whole place is terrible..  This is not fact, but has proven rather consistent. 

gallery_15057_1287_292926.jpg

Are you kidding me with this sign.. Perhaps some Freudian force drew me to this place.. Yikes.. Chicken on a stick anyone?

Edited by Daniel (log)