• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best waterfront dining in BC

Andrew Morrison

And there is a new little place in the space next to Stamps but I can never remember the name.

Ocean 6 Seventeen. It's where I spent a large part of this afternoon. What a fabulous spot. Dining notes forthcoming, but I'll definitely be back. :cool:

Adding a few to the list, there's:

• The Cannery
  • BravoBistro
  • Fiddlehead Joes
  • Chili House
  • StoneGrill
  • The Quay
  • BoJangles Cafe
  • Creekside Pub & Brewery (in the Granville Island Hotel)
  • Cat's Meow (on Granville Island, pretty much right by the water)
  • Go Fish!
  • Jericho Sailing Club

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Ocean 6 Seventeen, south side of False Creek too. [Nevermind Mooshmouse beat me to it.] Anyone know if there are waterfront places in the suburbs as well?

Edited by rêvasser (log)

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Sandbar count as waterfront?

Does Go Fish! count as "dining"? :laugh:

Cat's Meow (on Granville Island, pretty much right by the water)

Cat's Meow is by a pond and a waterpark! :hmmm: I think that's a stretch!

Arne

I think The Chili House is The Chili Club now and Creekside is Dockside.

On Burrard Inlet how about Aqua Riva, the Pan Pacific restaurants - Five Sails and ?, the restaurant behind the water park on the sea wall - Mill Marine Bistro, restaurant in the Westin Bayshore.

Cheers,

Anne

If go Fish is dining then Vera's Burger Shack in Dunderave Pier is a great spot. Or if you like, The Beachouse has exceptional vista's. The Patio at saltaire in West Van is also great for the view.

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

There's also The Boathouse both in English Bay and in Horseshoe Bay (as well as other locations).

And, in the Westin Bayshore, The Seawall Bar & Grill.

I had links to a bunch of others but seeing as they've already been listed above, I'll take a break from being so link-happy today. :biggrin:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Mooshmouse, I am so glad to hear that about Ocean Six Seventeen!

I haven't been yet, but really want to go. I live very close.

It has been a bit of a cursed location so far, and I would love to see it succeed. I understand that the Chef used to work under Gord Martin.

Can't wait to see your tasting notes!

Ann

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Speaking of Fiddlehead Joe's - their renovation/expansion has been taking a long time. Anyone know what's happening there?

I've been wondering the same thing. I bike past there every few days and it seems like the place has been boarded up forever.

<makes mental note never to hire that construction company to work on my house>

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Mooshmouse, I am so glad to hear that about Ocean Six Seventeen!

I haven't been yet, but really want to go. I live very close.

It has been a bit of a cursed location so far, and I would love to see it succeed. I understand that the Chef used to work under Gord Martin.

Can't wait to see your tasting notes!

Ann

For what it is worth - the Westender gave it a very good review.

Speaking of Fiddlehead Joe's - their renovation/expansion has been taking a long time. Anyone know what's happening there?

I've been wondering the same thing. I bike past there every few days and it seems like the place has been boarded up forever.

<makes mental note never to hire that construction company to work on my house>

Jogged by Fiddlehead Joe's last night and the door was open -the restaurant portion looked pretty finished (the ubiquitous flat panel TV was installed) but the kitchen looked like it still had a ways to go; no equipment installed and it appeared that the electrical & drywall were incomplete

To the list:

*Raincity

*Denman St. Freehouse

*Milestones

(at English Bay)

*Triple O's @ Science World

Edited by privatejet (log)

I think The Chili House is The Chili Club now and Creekside is Dockside.

Other way around. The Chili Club is now the Chilli House - owned by the same people as Urban Thai in Yaletown and Thai Houses across the city.

Anyone eaten there yet?

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Lest we forget Port Moody, fine dining wasteland and suburb of my youth, Pajo's in Rocky Point Park serves up tasty fish and chips in newspaper cones and provides Tri-Cities teenagers with gainful summer employment and severe cases of fryer grease-induced acne. It's so waterfront it even has a boat launch.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

Lest we forget Port Moody, fine dining wasteland and suburb of my youth, Pajo's in Rocky Point Park serves up tasty fish and chips in newspaper cones and provides Tri-Cities teenagers with gainful summer employment and severe cases of fryer grease-induced acne. It's so waterfront it even has a boat launch.

You a Moody girl Snacky? I love Pajo's! Spent many a swim meet at the pool in Rocky Point Park. I told Andreas at Go Fish! to check out Pajo's cones as an idea for his place. Funny thing, he lives in PM and had never been to Pajo's.

Another addition to the waterfront scene ... The Mill Bistro -

We are located at the foot of Bute & Cordova - walk down the stairs towards the waterfront and you can't miss us! Just call us for directions 604.687.MILL.

Never been ... nice views.

A.

Another addition to the waterfront scene ... The Mill Bistro -

We are located at the foot of Bute & Cordova - walk down the stairs towards the waterfront and you can't miss us! Just call us for directions 604.687.MILL.

Never been ... nice views.

A.

It's on my list above, been around for at least a year. I'll be interested to hear your views. I went last year and concluded it was about the views, not the food. However the view really is spectacular and it is a great place to stop if you've been doing a long seawall walk.

Cheers,

Anne

Yup, like so many places with a built-in view,

they coast on that and don't bother with anything time-consuming

like service or food. Was there twice, once in winter

another time in summer. The food was so unremarkable

I can't even remember what we had. I do remember

Ice Cube (the rapper/actor, not the hard water) was

shooting a movie there while we were there. Whoop.

Late to the table, I know, but here are a couple of photos and my take on last Wednesday's lunch at Ocean 6 Seventeen.

gallery_18820_1174_477.jpg

Flatiron Steak in Chimichurri Sauce

I treated my cousin for a belated birthday lunch, and he's never one to pass up a good plateful of meat. Steak was a lovely medium rare, les frites were beautifully crisped and the chimichurri sauce was, to the tastebuds of a chimichurri neophyte, phenomenally good. So good, in fact, that we requested a little side dish of it for frites dipping.

gallery_18820_1174_62148.jpg

Steamed Mussels in Lager

Wonderful broth flavoured with beer, fennel and shallots. Not a single drop was wasted.

My cousin and I were quick to capitalize on the day's drink specials. Pints of Okanagan Springs and fauxtinis were beverages befitting the celebratory nature of our lunch.

Dessert didn't last long enough for a photo op; we ordered a Cinnamon-scented Chocolate Cake with white chocolate mousse and warm dark-chocolate sauce. Moist and delicious.

Owner Maureen Fleming was a congenial host, and 2 1/2 hours in the sun passed all too quickly. T'was my first lunch there. It certainly won't be my last. Besides, who can resist this view?

gallery_18820_1174_85160.jpg

Ocean 6 Seventeen

617 Stamps Landing

604-879-6178

Monday to Friday - 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 a.m.

Saturday and Sunday - 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I was wondering what the price range from ocean 6 seventeen was? 'inexpensive upscale casual dining' if I remember right from somewhere.. but a price range would be great.

Virginia Woolf

Only took a cursory glance at the dinner menu; however, lunch was very reasonably priced. My mussels were $12, and I believe that the flatiron steak was $10. Fauxtinis on special were $4.75 as were the pints of Okanagan Springs.

Excellent food value.

Joie Alvaro Kent

That indeed is great value. Even marking up the dishes 50% (which probably wont be that high) for a rough idea of dinner prices still have the menu very reasonably priced. This is sure to be a big hit on the food scene in Vancouver.

Virginia Woolf