• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese Kitchen Gadgets & Equipment

Thanks Prasantrin & suzysushi for your input. It's like a wooden box where both bottom and top can be remove to press the layer stuuff to flatten it. I am still searching for its name or anyone can briefly tell me the procedure on how to upload the picture here. I did before unfortunately forgotten.

Thanks anyway.

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

Thanks Prasantrin & suzysushi for your input. It's like a wooden box where both bottom and top can be remove to press the layer stuuff to flatten it. I am still searching for its name or anyone can briefly tell me the procedure on how to upload the picture here. I did before unfortunately forgotten.

Oh, you mean an oshizushi box. That's also sold at Asian grocery stores or online. http://www.sushilinks.com/oshizushi.html

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Dear Prasantrin,

Sorry to chip in a bit offtopic, but like different types of tofu, the hardness and indeed, rubberiness [and therefore yuckiness of the cooked dish of paneer] will have a lot to do with how you press it, but also what milk you use, what acid and what temperature [similar parameters apply to tofu as well.

. . .

Thank you for the advice! I've never made it before, so I need all the help I can get (I'm a little scared, actually!). We don't have half-and-half in Japan (we have "pantry cream" for coffee, but it's still 30%), but I can make my own using heavy cream and homogenized milk.

I've been checking out my local Y100 stores for a tsukemono press to use, but haven't found a rectangular one, yet. I'm trying to avoid the round ones because a friend once mentioned round paneer didn't hold its shape as well (around the edges, I guess). Plus the rectangular ones make for more efficient storage! I may have to make the trek out to a real Daiso!

Oh, you mean an oshizushi box. That's also sold at Asian grocery stores or online. http://www.sushilinks.com/oshizushi.html

Suzysushi thanks you very much. What a relieved! yes it's a Oshizushi box. I have been using it for many years now but really didn't know the name. Yes, Indeed I learned a new word from you.

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

• 10 months later...

Many moons ago (years, probably), helenjp posted a link to a set of stainless steel trays she uses to keep food in the fridge. They had lids, and I think racks to lift the food from the bottom of the containers.

I've searched and searched using all the parameters I can think of, but I cannot find the link.

Help me, please!

Here you go:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks, Anna N! I don't know why I couldn't find it--I did an advanced search for author: helenjp and keyword: tray, but it didn't come up. I also searched for the keyword steel, so it should have come up!

And thanks, too, Blether. I've been searching "バット" at amazon.co.jp because the Dinos one Helen originally linked to is really expensive! I think I may have to take a look at Doguyasuji in Osaka, and perhaps Kappabashi the next time I'm in Tokyo. I know the Y100 stores have them available sometimes, but they're awfully small and thin (not that it should matter so much for what I want to use it for).

Oddly enough, batto are one of the things that Tokyu Hands sells at a competitive price - they have a good range in both staoinless steel and aluminium. I settled on a big stainless batto as a lasagne tin - I got it with a low grid to sit inside too, and I'm amazed at how many uses I've found for it (including catching mince coming out of the mincer...)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Oddly enough, batto are one of the things that Tokyu Hands sells at a competitive price - they have a good range in both staoinless steel and aluminium. I settled on a big stainless batto as a lasagne tin - I got it with a low grid to sit inside too, and I'm amazed at how many uses I've found for it (including catching mince coming out of the mincer...)

Blether, I took a very fast glance at your post and read MICE for "mince"! Super WTF? moment! :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Blether, I took a very fast glance at your post and read MICE for "mince"! Super WTF? moment! :laugh:

:biggrin: ha ha ha :unsure: eeeeeeewwwwww :blink::shock:

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a set of batto in my shopping cart on amazon.co.jp for only Y4000-much cheaper than for what another company is selling the exact same set. It's a set of 4 batto, 4 lids, 1 metal lid, and 2 racks.

Today at our school bazaar, I picked up a set of 3 batto with 3 lids and 1 rack for only Y600!! Brand new in the box and stainless steel, not aluminium!

I'll probably still pick up the other set from amazon, because you can never have too many batto!

Edited by prasantrin (log)

I'll probably still pick up the other set from amazon, because you can never have too many batto!

The deep-fryer's friend. And it's a casserole, it's a baking tray, it's a wrap-sealed fridge box; it's a cupboard-tidy for pot lids, it's...

MICE for "mince"! Super WTF? moment! :laugh:

Ha ha ! Judiu, I'm sorry I didn't see your post till now. Yes, I'm looking for a bit more crunch in my sausage mix :biggrin:

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

One thing I've discovered the hard way is that all stainless steels are not equal. The ones that look more yellowy sometimes do corrode, while the bluer looking ones seem to be made of sterner stuff.

Worse, the trays inside the cheapo ones don't seem to be put together as well either - mine have sprung apart, while the older but sturdier set soldier on bravely.

• 9 years later...

made sense to put this here :

Something came from Japan yesterday.  Postman must be bi-lingual :

RiceM.thumb.jpg.bc9b712b0cb4f351c72af3725586b80c.jpg

and

216704078_RiceMold.thumb.jpg.89a37a4784484d02ccfb42f6b17d34e5.jpg

very cute.   as soon as it warms up a bit  (  10 F here )  Ill get some sushi rice, and some Nori.  possibly some SPAM. !

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 2 years later...
On 3/6/2019 at 8:19 AM, rotuts said:

made sense to put this here :

Something came from Japan yesterday.  Postman must be bi-lingual :

RiceM.thumb.jpg.bc9b712b0cb4f351c72af3725586b80c.jpg

and

216704078_RiceMold.thumb.jpg.89a37a4784484d02ccfb42f6b17d34e5.jpg

very cute.   as soon as it warms up a bit  (  10 F here )  Ill get some sushi rice, and some Nori.  possibly some SPAM. !

And?

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 6 months later...

In 2014 I purchased an Inomata 10 inch rice washer.  I love it.  It has served me well.  However I wanted a smaller rice washer.  With no hesitation I ordered an Inomata 8 inch rice washer.  They are exactly the same size.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

@Anna N

very interesting

I wnet for the bowl

2X  two bowls ?

rather than the Oxo

one bowl

or the other Inomatae Bowl,

One Bowl

Ill keep an eye on the second bowl

just in case there is a grain 

that didn't understand thePlan.

money-mouth.gif.cffd19d35d3515f7c8d700021d647976.gif

Sure rice washer is useful. I am not familiar with the story related about the gods but I find my hand swirling in the water kind of "zen" and don't lose grains even with my semi-functional hands. However I use the big cooker with max 2 cups rice so not as "risky". I am washing directly in the pot and over tie and a lot of rice am pretty decent at compensating for any residual water in the proportions.

On 7/24/2022 at 2:34 PM, rotuts said:

Soon ( enough )

Im going tp be the proud owner of this :

bbb.thumb.jpg.201669fbbee807a8d98bea1478cc0a92.jpg

looking forward  to it 

thank you 

@JoNorvelleWalker 

How does it work for your Basmati?

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

How does it work for your Basmati?

I don't know about Basmati, but I used it about a half hour ago for jasmine, and it worked perfectly -- no lost grains.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

@JoNorvelleWalker 

works well w basmati .

I got the version marked ' 2 ' 

I thought the bottom bowl of the two 

would hold the water while you swished away w

then lifted the top bowl for drainage.

I got ' 2 ' but they are the same :

bowl w drainage holes in the bottom and 

fine grate to drain some more when you poured 

out extra water.

no mater 

I have a spare.