• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hell's Kitchen 2

Gary's is typical Gary Rhodes 'Modern British' - a few of the dishes are ones he was knocking out on telly about 5 years ago.

Some of JC's menu is also getting on a bit - the mushrooms in poppy seed pancake and lamb cutlets topped with cheese soufflé both appeared on his Four Seasons Park Lane menu back in the early 90's. Nothing wrong with that though, both are nice dishes. He was also using chorizo and other flavoured oils, lemongrass as a skewer and serving "pomme carlos" with fillet of beef, so I think we can allow Rhodes his haddock and bread and butter pudding.

Front Braised Pig’s Trotter stuffed on the day according to Jean-Christophe’s mood

...which, roughly translated, means "what iz left in zee walk-in freedge zat moaning" (thats JC doing his Inspector Clouseau impression BTW.)

Gary's is typical Gary Rhodes 'Modern British' - a few of the dishes are ones he was knocking out on telly about 5 years ago.

Some of JC's menu is also getting on a bit - the mushrooms in poppy seed pancake and lamb cutlets topped with cheese soufflé both appeared on his Four Seasons Park Lane menu back in the early 90's. Nothing wrong with that though, both are nice dishes. He was also using chorizo and other flavoured oils, lemongrass as a skewer and serving "pomme carlos" with fillet of beef, so I think we can allow Rhodes his haddock and bread and butter pudding.

Pomme Carlos? I like the sound of that.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Front Braised Pig’s Trotter stuffed on the day according to Jean-Christophe’s mood

...which, roughly translated, means "what iz left in zee walk-in freedge zat moaning" (thats JC doing his Inspector Clouseau impression BTW.)

poppy seeds and cheese souffle then!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

What do people think of the menus?

Novelli's seems a touch on the pretentious side.... Front Braised Pig’s Trotter stuffed on the day according to Jean-Christophe’s mood, celeriac root soft mash

anyone?

And what does 'Front braised' mean? And what if he's in a bad mood?

I wasn't that surprised that Novelli's kitchen attracted more orders, particularly looking at the menus. <P>

People who aren't particularly into food (and I'd include most of the 'celebrities' in the dining room last night) tend to be impressed by dishes that read like extended shopping lists. Some of the more familiar names on Rhodes' menu, on the other hand, can suffer from I-can-have-that-at-home syndrome.

Could you start your own place for £250k these days? Seems like a tall order to me. I agree that its seems unlikely that any of them would go on to open a restaurant.

I guess it depends where you try to do it . There are plenty of places outside of London where you could by a freehold restaurant or pub for that sort of money. You'd have an even better choice if you went for a lease.

In any case with £250,000 in cash and a half decent business plan there would be banks falling over themselves to lend you another £500,000.

Well, perhaps not to any of that lot ! Where did they find them.

Gethin

Gethin

Waaaa, they passed up the culinarily entertaining moi. i could have given them something to chew on........seriously, not surprised the final choices were....less than......effervescent or full of ideas. mostly the big room was filled with people who were aggressively boring, but had that look in their eyes: CHOOSE ME AND I'LL BE FAMOUS.

oh well. but it would have been fun to have done the programme......

x m

Edited by Andy Lynes (log)

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Gethin

Waaaa, they passed up the culinarily entertaining moi. i could have given them something to chew on........seriously, not surprised the final choices were....less than......effervescent or full of ideas. mostly the big room was filled with people who were aggressively boring, but had that look in their eyes: CHOOSE ME AND I'LL BE FAMOUS.

oh well. but it would have been fun to have done the programme......

x m

well that £250k it more then enough to get a place up and running and the main appeal to me will be its £250k of someone elses money and also you will have all that free publicity and they got a 1 in 10 chance of winning I like the odds better then masterchef where is was 1 in 96.

Naturally the prize will have a load of condition attached so i doubt you will have carte blanch to do whatever you wanted.

and you are right there is no way any of that lot would be able to work as a head chef or at least they won;t be able to learn it in 2 weeks.

Don't worry marlena they didn't select me either!!! :shock:

b*stards! :angry:

I've been on 2 shows already and I wanted to go for a hat trick!! godammit!!

well can;t really complain i suppose i got more then my 15 mins of fame already time to retire into obscurity.

You know i'm strangely surprised that Caroline was selected as she was on masterchef too!!!

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

Hi folks, long time reader, first time poster.

I'm actually really enjoying this show. I thought Masterchef was pretty appaling, and the big-brother aspects of this show are somewhat mind-numbing, but the service is very interesting to watch, even to someone as far-removed from the trade as myself.

I really wish that Sam woman (I think thats her name anyway) would stop with the "Hey, I'm a single-mum, I'm useless" bull. That.. Vicky? (Trying to remember the names whilst at work is hard, can't access the show's website) woman who acts like Angela Hartnett is quite entertaining however.

Glad that law student went out, I thought he was more than a trifle pretentious.

You know i'm strangely surprised that Caroline was selected as she was on masterchef too!!!

Well spotted.

She is obviously the Edwina substitute, and Stein is the Al Murray type and Sam is the Abby character etc etc.

indeed the sun today has lined them all up with their celebrity counterparts.

and shock horror, useless simon is acually an actor.

cheers

gary

you don't win friends with salad

She is obviously the Edwina substitute, and Stein is the Al Murray type and Sam is the Abby character etc etc.

indeed the sun today has lined them all up with their celebrity counterparts.

Glad to hear I'm thinking along the same lines as that most august organ. Maybe I've missed my true super soar away vocation.

Kellie(who reminds me of a kathy burke character) seems quite efficient, works in a pub i believe

I want to know what the Geordie "caterer" does in terms of catering ?!

Can't believe i am getting into it !

still cringing at Gary's growling

Sarah x

Edited by sarah w (log)

Watched it last night and I can't say I'll be desperate to catch it again. Yes, the service element is interesting, but that's lost in the cuts to the Big Brother-style monologues from the contestants and shots of who is eating in the restaurant ("who?" being the operative word in most instances, apart from those who are gurning or gesticulating widely in the back of shots in an attempt to get noticed on the telly in which cases the operative word is "tosser").

And surely the chefs have been told to play it up for the show? They're giving the level of abuse that you might expect them to give professional staff who had really ballsed things up, as opposed to rank amateurs.

PS

Edinburgh

All I can say is - Gary Rhodes, what a plonker. There is no need to be so unpleasant. It just smacks of insecurity and social incompetence.

Liam Gallagher was interviewed on last nights "Extra Portions" show on ITV2 and said about Rhodes (and I paraphrase) "I saw him on Richard and Judy a couple of years ago and he sounded like a little girl, now all of a sudden he's got a gun in his pocket."

Yeah I agree Basildog. Last night though, I nearly threw up with Gary's syrupy sweetness. Aaarrgghh. People do not like to be shouted at (except if it is Simon and his apples!!! Gah) and Gary obviously realised that he was going nowhere with his ranting and hyperventilating.

Anyone noticed Liam Gallagher and his HP and tomato sauce bottles?? :laugh:

And the programme is worth watching just for Angus Deayton's remarks.

Aby to J-C: Just give me an inch.

Angus: And that is No. 74 from the Carry On list of double entendres!

:laugh::laugh:

So have any Egulleters been "lucky" enough to get to try the food?

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper