• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I Scream, You Scream.....

Tonyy13

How about a black and tan mix? A Bass sorbet, with a Guinness ice cream...

Served in a pint glass.

A local ice-cream shop does that... great stuff that.

I worked out a variation using the Guinness ice-cream... the Irish Carbomb. Tastes like the real thing, but goes down a lot better! :biggrin: Who can pass up mixing Guinness, Bailey's and "a little" Irish Whiskey?

Cheers!

CSR

"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

someone here was looking for an irish carbomb ice cream flavor recipe they wanted to experiment with.  i thought that would be really good - guiness flavored ice cream with a whiskey/irish creme swirl.

Tryska,

I missed your reply in my first post on this thread.

Here is the older Carbomb Ice-cream thread. I have to say that IMHO, swirls may not be the best way to go. It's been rather difficult to design and prepare an ice cream recipe that tastes fairly close to the original drink (even though we tend to not have the time to savor the drinks taste at the time of consumption :biggrin: ).

The story: I've worked on several recipes for swirled Cambomb ice cream in the hopes of finding a recipe I can put on a restaurant menu. I went with a Guinness ice-cream with varying amouts of Bailey's and Jameson's swirled together or individually. None has proven to be a real stand-out and I am pretty comfortable with redesigning the item.

The culprit: The whiskey flavor loses it's edge in the basic carmel recipe. Testers say they can't taste even a hint of whiskey.

The alternative: I did find success using a different prep method. Using a combination of Guinness and Bailey's ice creams in a parfait style, each layer is separated by a whiskey-creme sauce layer. It looks good in a pint glass and all of the familiar flavors really standout. To up the ante on presentation marks, I did a half & half thing: Bailey's on the bottom, Guiness on the top with a little space at the top of a pint glass to add a "head" of whiskey-creme. It's gone over pretty well with folks who've tried it.

Regards from DC,

CSR

Edited by C_Ruark (log)
"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

okay, now i'm hungry.

i've actually been craving the various tastes in a carbomb for a couple of weeks now. i'm jsut not down for the chugging (low tolerance) - so i'm gonna have to find some ice cream to do it for me.

or maybe a guiness float with the haagen dasz Bailey's flavor. it's about time for that no?

Edited by tryska (log)

or maybe a guiness float with the haagen dasz Bailey's flavor.  it's about time for that no?

Tryska,

I've been playing with the recipe to accomodate several friends who are the same way. They like all the flavors and can see how they would compliment each other, but the normal "delivery method" is a big turn off. Hopefully there's a happy medium.

Geez a Gunness float? Ya know, I need to try that but it means that I have to get over somebody mucking with my pint! :biggrin:

Cheers

- CSR

Geez a Gunness float? Ya know, I need to try that but it means that I have to get over somebody mucking with my pint!  :biggrin:

Cheers

- CSR

like scrambled bailey's doesn't muck it up enough! *lol*

Edited by tryska (log)

How about a black and tan mix? A Bass sorbet, with a Guinness ice cream...

Served in a pint glass.

A local ice-cream shop does that... great stuff that.

I worked out a variation using the Guinness ice-cream... the Irish Carbomb. Tastes like the real thing, but goes down a lot better! :biggrin: Who can pass up mixing Guinness, Bailey's and "a little" Irish Whiskey?

Cheers!

CSR

Whoa, I think I'd be truly knackered after that drink.... :blink:

On the booze tip, how's about a sake sorbet?

okay, now i'm hungry.

i've actually been craving the various tastes in a carbomb for a couple of weeks now.  i'm jsut not down for the chugging (low tolerance) - so i'm gonna have to find some ice cream to do it for me.

or maybe a guiness float with the haagen dasz Bailey's flavor.  it's about time for that no?

I think I would have to change the name of this ice cream. It definitely wouldn't work where I come from. :blink:

okay, now i'm hungry.

i've actually been craving the various tastes in a carbomb for a couple of weeks now.  i'm jsut not down for the chugging (low tolerance) - so i'm gonna have to find some ice cream to do it for me.

I think I would have to change the name of this ice cream. It definitely wouldn't work where I come from. :blink:

haagen-dasz bailey's or "irish carbomb"?

okay, now i'm hungry.

Sorry for the bad transliteration :biggrin: (I don't have my language font pack installed): A'ni meh'haskem she'loh! Ha'shem ha'zeh loh iy'aved b'sviva'tech.

Edited by C_Ruark (log)

Basil and pernod, pear and gorgonzola, pink cactus fruit (I've always wondered if they mean dragonfruit), curry, ginger, ginger chocolate, garlic, balsamic vinegar, Jack Daniels, lavender, chili pepper and dark chocolate, kimchi and chanterelle.

Mushroom ice cream sounds a little weird to me, except perhaps as an accompaniment to a savory course. But I don't think kimchi and ice cream should mix.

In thinking about Filipino ice cream flavours, I came up with langka (jackfruit), macapuno (young coconut), pinipig (toasted rice), mangosteen and ube (purple yam).  What about starfruit?  Or a kalamansi sorbetto as a palate cleanser?

Availability of good raw materials could be a problem. I've always thought that most other citrus fruits are superior to starfruit, but I enjoy high-quality fresh starfruit available in rural Malaysia. Here, mediocre-to-poor starfruit is something like $2 apiece (not be weight). Mangosteen is a great fruit. I used to think it imported poorly until I found very good ones being sold in Beijing this past summer. Now, I wonder what the problem is, but I've never had a good one in the US.

Michael aka "Pan"

Since we're talking about fruits that are "exotic" in the US (or most of it), what about pomegranate ice cream? How would one go about making that? I guess the best method would be first of all to juice the pomegranates?

Michael aka "Pan"

Mushroom ice cream sounds a little weird to me, except perhaps as an accompaniment to a savory course. But I don't think kimchi and ice cream should mix.
In thinking about Filipino ice cream flavours, I came up with langka (jackfruit), macapuno (young coconut), pinipig (toasted rice), mangosteen and ube (purple yam).  What about starfruit?  Or a kalamansi sorbetto as a palate cleanser?

Availability of good raw materials could be a problem. I've always thought that most other citrus fruits are superior to starfruit, but I enjoy high-quality fresh starfruit available in rural Malaysia. Here, mediocre-to-poor starfruit is something like $2 apiece (not be weight). Mangosteen is a great fruit. I used to think it imported poorly until I found very good ones being sold in Beijing this past summer. Now, I wonder what the problem is, but I've never had a good one in the US.

You're absolutely right. Kimchi and ice cream should not mix, nor should curry. Unless something really piques my curiosity at La Casa Gelato, I have little to no desire to sample the more bizarre gelato flavours that they offer. Why wreck a good thing? Then I'd have to start talking about gelato as a newly intolerable food in the thread currently running on the General Food Topics forum. :blink:

Also right on the second count. A lot of the tropical fruit found in North America is rather insipid and bland, not having had the benefit of tree ripening to achieve optimum sweetness. I was going to suggest other "exotic" fruits such as custard apple/sugar apple (atis in the Philippines), rambutan, lychee, star apple, or santol; however, it's hardly worth it if you aren't able to distill their true flavours.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Excellent lychees are available in New York (and doubtless many other places in the US) in season, but they use lychees canned in syrup for the lychee ice cream at the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory in Manhattan's Chinatown. Sadly, rambutan ice cream would be a lost cause in New York. Rambutan is a wonderful fruit, but I guess they don't want to import Malaysian (Filipino, etc.) insects along with the fruit. :laugh:

Michael aka "Pan"

Sadly, rambutan ice cream would be a lost cause in New York. Rambutan is a wonderful fruit, but I guess they don't want to import Malaysian (Filipino, etc.) insects along with the fruit.  :laugh:

But that could be the next new thing. Who needs chocolate jimmies when you could use a crunchy cricket or earwig to top off your sundae! :wink:

Is rambutan not readily available in New York?

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Pathetic partly thawed frozen rambutan are sold at high prices in New York. They are totally inedible, if you ask me. Your other alternative -- also not worth eating, in my opinion -- is canned rambutan. I say, just remember the great taste and use it as part of your incentive for your next trip to Southeast Asia. :biggrin:

Michael aka "Pan"

Does a lychee liqueur exist?

That it does. Bols does one, as does Pernod (called Soho). Apparently there's also a third one called Kwai Feh.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

Since we're talking about fruits that are "exotic" in the US (or most of it), what about pomegranate ice cream? How would one go about making that? I guess the best method would be first of all to juice the pomegranates?

Or cheat and use pomegranate molasses (so very much easier) or maybe that POM stuff.

Sorry for the bad transliteration  :biggrin: (I don't have my language font pack installed): A'ni meh'haskem she'loh!  Ha'shem ha'zeh loh iy'aved b'sviva'tech.

I am sorry, but I do not understand what you are trying to say. Maybe you should try it in English.

Sorry for the bad transliteration  :biggrin: (I don't have my language font pack installed): A'ni meh'haskem she'loh!  Ha'shem ha'zeh loh iy'aved b'sviva'tech.

Oops... never have a problem when I shop at Dizengoff Center. No worries :biggrin:.

"I agree that no. That name would not work in your area. "

Cheers

-CSR

Edited by C_Ruark (log)