• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Martha Stewart Reality Show...

Really Nice!

Stewart reportedly to do reality show for NBC.

It will be produced by “Survivor” Svengali Mark Burnett. Specifics of the series are still murky, but sources said that it would have an elimination-style competition element along the lines of Burnett’s “Survivor” and “The Apprentice.”

Sources said it would focus on many of the same topics as her previous “Martha Stewart Living” lifestyle/how-to show but would have a different style.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Stewart reportedly to do reality show for NBC.

It will be produced by “Survivor” Svengali Mark Burnett. Specifics of the series are still murky, but sources said that it would have an elimination-style competition element along the lines of Burnett’s “Survivor” and “The Apprentice.”

Sources said it would focus on many of the same topics as her previous “Martha Stewart Living” lifestyle/how-to show but would have a different style.

Sounds utterly dreadful. I don't watch any of the other reality shows, so I doubt I'll watch this one, either. Ugh.

This sounds like a lot of fun. I'm a reality tv junkie, I love Martha and Burnett is clearly the master of the genre...can't wait :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I agree. I think we took her for granted, and now I am glad she is coming back. You can try to imitate her, but there's only one Martha.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I agree. I think we took her for granted, and now I am glad she is coming back. You can try to imitate her, but there's only one Martha.

According to this week's Newsweek, she's the savvy survivor who is going to come out on top in the Kmart/Sears deal. Her stock value and her approval ratings are both up.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

I was fairly anti-Martha back during the trial stage and was eagerly awaiting the penalty stage, hoping that she would go to jail. Now, after seeing what some of the Martha-come-lately's have been doing on television, like Sandra Lee, I WANT MY MARTHA BACK! I'll take her in any form over some of these talentless souls -- reality show, cooking show, in any way possible. Just get the idiots off my screen, and make room for the Original queen of domesticity.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

How true. Who was the chef who moved her cookbooks to the "Humor" sections of bookstores back in the day? Didn't do that to Flay or Emeril.

I'm definitely in the "love to hate her" camp. It's fun to get into a high dudgeon, you know?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

How true. Who was the chef who moved her cookbooks to the "Humor" sections of bookstores back in the day? Didn't do that to Flay or Emeril.

I'm definitely in the "love to hate her" camp. It's fun to get into a high dudgeon, you know?

Indeed! I think I still have my copy of Is Martha Stuart Living? magazine--though I never did get a copy of Martha Stuart's Better Than You at Entertaining. Only the truly great and the truly awful invite parody--although the truly awful often parody themselves (recent example: William Hung).

I too was in the anti-Martha camp when the indictments were handed out, but as the trial progressed, I gradually became convinced that she was being punished for the sins of a whole host of other people. Not that she did nothing wrong, but that the authorities were sitting on her in a way they would not have were it not Martha Stewart on the dock.

I'll also second Jason's comment on the Martha-lites, but am more than willing to cut B. Smith a lot of slack. (Is her show still on?)

What will be Martha's trademark dismissal, though? Will it rank up there with "voted off the island" and "You're fired!"? Any speculation?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

fabulous!  i can't wait for the Centerpiece Challenge!

Personally, I'm looking forward to the gift wrapping race. :wacko:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

What will be Martha's trademark dismissal, though?  Will it rank up there with "voted off the island" and "You're fired!"?  Any speculation?

Maybe she'll use her prison shank?

-mjr :rolleyes:

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

I was fairly anti-Martha back during the trial stage and was eagerly awaiting the penalty stage, hoping that she would go to jail. Now, after seeing what some of the Martha-come-lately's have been doing on television, like Sandra Lee, I WANT MY MARTHA BACK! I'll take her in any form over some of these talentless souls  -- reality show, cooking show, in any way possible. Just get the idiots off my screen, and make room for the Original queen of domesticity.

Oh, bravo, Jason! I am and have been a huge fan of Martha Stewart from the minute I saw her show for the first time, about 10 years ago. She is the original queen of domesticity--and the only one in my opinion, even though she's a Jersey girl who pronounces ham like a Brit. But that's not even really why I like her so much--she's bright, creative, intuitive, strong-willed, and not afraid of it.

I have a feeling that she will come out of this whole debacle as a hero, though I am slightly hesitant about dear Martha appearing on a reality TV show. She's never been very good at ad-libbing.

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

What will be Martha's trademark dismissal, though?  Will it rank up there with "voted off the island" and "You're fired!"?  Any speculation?

i like martha. i wouldn't want to crumb coat her cakes or source her fronds, but she's an icon for a reason.

i think her "you're fired" should be something like, "reese, your biscuits are leaden, your pastry bag technique sloppy and i wouldn't trust you to hot glue macaroni to a paper plate. your departure...now that's a good thing."

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

She is the original queen of domesticity--and the only one in my opinion, even though she's a Jersey girl who pronounces ham like a Brit. But that's not even really why I like her so much--she's bright, creative, intuitive, strong-willed, and not afraid of it.

She is, and I expect, will continue to be, a classic in her field. I, too, await her return with great anticipation ...

As for Mark Burnett and his "vision" of reality? I think she will disabuse him of any ideas which are not fully compliant with her own personal "vision" for the show.

Martha doesn't suffer fools gladly, as they say, and this will be no exception. Plus, she is going to be anxious to return to her well-earned throne as the Queen of Domesticity after this unfortunate "hiatus" ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

O.K. I can't stand the arrogance and her pronunciation of bhut-t-hur (butter), but

I am definetly in for watching her in a reality t.v. show.

It helps me focus my dark side to view the icon of all things good.

Just to prepare I am sharpening my scissors, ordering supplies from every craft

and cooking supply house I can find just so I can play along like I used to do

with the Winky Dink show.

Ann, go up to the attic and locate our inventory of perfectly rolled and inventoried

(by season of course), tablecloths so we can make the most of our t.v. watching

while sipping tea and eating the most perfect watercress sandwiches.

What will be Martha's trademark dismissal, though? Will it rank up there with "voted off the island" and "You're fired!"? Any speculation?

"You're busted!"

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I've gotten some pleasure from Martha's tv shows, though I was never a rabid fan. OTOH, I was never a Martha hater, either.

I gained the most respect for her when she made the decision to do her jail time and get it over with instead of waiting for all of the endless appeals to take place. I'd rather get it over with, too, so I could get on with my life, instead of wallowing in all of the muck.

Mark Burnett's productions aren't as cheesy as many of the less successful prime time game shows (which is what I prefer to think of them as, rather than 'reality' shows), and I hope he doesn't disappoint with this one.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

How about:

"Sorry, that's just not good enough!"  :rolleyes:

Or, a little stronger...

"GET OUT!"  :angry:

What did she say to the gardener she tried to run over? Something like "Get out of my way or I'll crush you."

Maybe something along those lines

It most likely will be a take off of her signature "It's a good thing."

That wasn't a good thing?

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera