• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese foods -- maki mono

torakris

maki sushi already has it own thread right here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=20156

but what about the other rolled foods in Japan?

Rolling vegetables inside of thinly sliced meat and sauteing them with or without a sauce is quite common homestyle cooking. A couple nights ago I rolled gobo (burdock root) and negi (Japanese scallions), separately, in some thinly sliced pork and made a simple teriyaki like sauce:

gallery_6134_91_1101768402.jpg

What are some of your favorite things to roll?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I love niku-maki and make them often. I usually wrap pork around parboiled green beans, then saute and braise them in soy sauce and mirin.

I also make a chicken roll, with a chickenloaf-like filling wrapped in nori:

gallery_7940_336_1101816928.jpg

I also love German "rouladen", beef wrapped around various things (like bacon, mustard and onions; dill pickles; bread stuffing etc.), but find the Japanese version so much easier that I haven't made rouladen in years.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

My wife sometimes makes tonkatsu-like fries by rolling thin slices of pork, and sometimes wraps thin slices of pork around apple slices to make another type of tonkatsu-like fries.

I myself don't make any type of roll; I'm no fan of dishes that call for elaborate work.

I don't like "roll cabbage" (don't know the English name for it). Do any of you like it?

I don't like "roll cabbage" (don't know the English name for it).  Do any of you like it?

We usually call it stuffed cabbage and I love it, as a child it was was I would request for my birthday dinner. :biggrin: I have to admit it is quite a bit of work and doesn't get made too often now....

Smallworld,

what else in is your chicken loaf?

Do you cook it in a fry pan?

I have never tried that before and it looks really good!

Take skinny sliced bacon, dredge in grated parmigiano (sp?) on one side only, then wrap around the breadstick cheese side in. Bake at 325-350 F until done. Let cool and munch away! :wink:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Rolling vegetables inside of thinly sliced meat and sauteing them with or without a sauce is quite common homestyle cooking. A couple nights ago I rolled gobo (burdock root) and negi (Japanese scallions), separately, in some thinly sliced pork and made a simple teriyaki like sauce:

gallery_6134_91_1101768402.jpg

That looks yummy! Do you have to cook the burdock separately before sauteing it with the pork?

Smallworld,

what else in is your chicken loaf?

Do you cook it in a fry pan?

I have never tried that before and it looks really good!

I add fresh shiitake (the big fat kind, can't remember the name), carrot, egg, soy sauce, mirin and katakuriko to ground chicken, spread the mixture on a sheet of nori and roll it up, saute it in a frying pan, then add seasonings and braise it.

Will post a recipe if you like.

OK, here's the recipe:

Ground Chicken Rolls ( 鳥ひき肉のいそべ煮 )

200g ground chicken

10g carrot

1 large shiitake cap (the big puffy pale brown type)

2 sheets toasted nori

1 Tbsp oil

1 pack kaiware-na

Seasoning A:

1 egg

1 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce

1 Tbsp sake

1 tsp katakuriko

Seasoning B:

1/2 cup sake

2 Tbsp soy sauce

2 Tbsp mirin

Finely chop carrot and shiitake, add to a bowl with chicken and seasoning A; mix well. If the mixture is too wet, add a little more katakuriko.

Divide the mixture into two, spread on nori, roll (as for making maki-zushi).

Heat oil in a fying pan, carefully add the rolls, "seam" down. Fry for a few minutes, rotating to rolls to ensure they maintain a round shape and cook evenly.

Add seasoning B to the pan, bring to boil, cover and reduce heat. Cook until liquid is nearly gone, remove rolls to cutting board and reduce sauce.

Cut the chicken into rounds, garnish with kaiware-na, drizzle sauce on top or on the side.

From "Quick & Easy Japanese Cooking", which, except for this recipe, is not at all notable.

Edited by smallworld (log)

Thanks I am going to give it a try! I am sure the kids will love it.

I have to agree about that book, it was one of my first cookbooks on Japanese food and I used it almost daily, but I was never really happy with the results, I then discovered some other books and passed that one on to my sister, who I am sure has never used it...

• 3 months later...

last night was nanohana (broccoli rabe) and fatty pork maki

gallery_6134_549_34655.jpg

seasoned only with salt, pepper and yuzu-koshou

this dish is a keeper! :biggrin:

last night was nanohana (broccoli rabe) and fatty pork maki

Recipe, please, in American ingredients if possible. Are these pan fried, baked,broiled or what? They look wonderful, and I'm a bacon-and-greens fiend! :wub:

Recipe, please, in American ingredients if possible. Are these pan fried, baked,broiled or what? They look wonderful, and I'm a bacon-and-greens fiend! :wub:

nanohana called broccoli rabe in English should be available in most parts of the US, this green workd the best for rolling because of its thick stalks. I parboiled it, so it was cooked but still had bite to it, then placed it in ice water to stop the cooking and squeezed out the water.

Thinly sliced pork belly (called buta no bara-niku in Japanese) can be hard to find in most of the US, but you can try an Asian market or a butcher, get something like I linked to in the post to Suzy Sushi. The strips I used were about 10 to 12 inches long and about an inch wide. The fatty pork works the best here, leaner cuts just don't give the same flavor. I used a leaner cut in the first picture of this thread with the gobo rolls and prefer the leaner cut for that sauced style.

I just used one bunch of nanohana and about a 1/2 lb of pork, but the amounts can vary.

because the pork was not very wide I slightly overlapped two pieces laying them out on the cutting board, I then sprinkledthen with salt and pepper and smaered some yuzu-koshou on the slices.

Yuzu-koshou is a Japanese condiment that is made with yuzu rind (a kind of citrus) and green chiles, here is the yuzu koshou thread

This is probably hard to find in most parts of the US, just leave it out and instead squeeze fresh lemon juice over the finished dish.

Lay a couple stalks of the broccoli rabe (I used 3 to 4 depending on the thickness) on the seasoned pork strips and roll it tightly on a slight diagonal so that almost all of the vegetable is covered. I like the way it looks with a bit of the green sticking out both sides. this can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated for a couple of hours.

I then heated some oil (I use canola), just a small amount as the pork will give off some. I cook them in batches (depending on how many you have and how big your pan is- don't crowd them) over very high heat. It took about 30-40 seconds to cook each of the three sides, they will actually crisp up like bacon somewhat and be crunchy when you eat them. :biggrin: The greens are already cooked and the pork is very thin so long cooking times aren't needed. This is a really fast dish, high heat is critical to the proper texture and these WILL smoke quite a bit....

these also are good cold and make a great leftovers for the next day's lunch.

WOW! You do take a recipe to the max! :biggrin: Thanks SO much for

the "translation"; I wonder if pancetta would work as well, being as it's not smoked. Something to investigate, fer sure! :cool:

• 1 year later...
That looks good! Was the salmon fresh, and seasoned with shoyu/mirin, do you think, or did they use lightly salted salmon?

good question and one I don't have the answer for.... I think it might have been lightly salted though.

It was a special oshogatsu product from Sugar Lady. I guess I will have to wait until next year when I definitely order it again.