• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you top your frites?

The_Dagda

I know that most people use that godawful tomato substance called ketchup. I personally would never let that stuff near my plate. I was just wondering what other off-beat things people like to take the dip into.

I love the european thing, Mayo all the way baby, or if I'm feeling dareing(and don't have a date that night) I like to use roasted red pepper aioli.

I enjoy fries doused in malt vinegar, then dusted with old bay, and finally dipped in mayo (or mayo mixed with horseradish). Great combo of flavors.

Very chunky tangy blue cheese dressing is also a great option.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Salt-lots of salt. Malt vinager if I am eating fish and chips. BBQ sauce if I am eating BBQ or Harold's Fried Chicken. NEVER mayo-even in France. No cheese fries either.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

We serve our frites here at Rouge with a Sambal Mayonnaise dipping sauce on the side.

They're very addictive as my waistline could attest... :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I've not liked ketchup my whole life so I have never put it on my frites. Recently, though, I was at a restaurant and when my wife requested ketchup (I scoffed) they brought out the most wonderful house-made tomato chutney. Tangy, a little smokey, bit of onion flavor, and not sweet in the least. Fantastic.

I do also enjoy a good splash of malt vinegar sometimes.

Most often, just coarse salt and nothing else.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

I know that most people use that godawful tomato substance called ketchup. I personally would never let that stuff near my plate. I was just wondering what other off-beat things people like to take the dip into.

I love the european thing, Mayo all the way baby, or if I'm feeling dareing(and don't have a date that night) I like to use roasted red pepper aioli.

People who sneer are inherintly suspect. There are few things better than hot crinkle cut French fries topped with ketchup and copious quantities of salt --preferably served after midnight -- at a drive in, diner or the snack bar of a bowling alley.

However, if you must sniff at this great American gift to the culinary world -- and in calling French fries "frites" in public -- I suggest serving them on the side of any dish calling for a Sauce Bernaise or a mango buerre blanc and dipping them in those sauce. Ask for extra.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

We serve our frites here at Rouge with a Sambal Mayonnaise dipping sauce on the side.

They're very addictive as my waistline could attest... :smile:

I agree! In Amsterdam I tried out a bunch of frites shops and my favorite choice of accompaniement from a large menu of choices was the sambal mayo!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Mayo, usually. Ketchup sometimes...malt vinegar sometimes.

I used to love to go to Jerry's Subs and Pizza (chain sandwich place; don't know how big it is) and dip their skin-on wedges in this very tart, mildly spicy red pepper relish they had.

Tang plus the grease and mealiness of the potato usually does it for me.

I'm not a huge fan of ketchup, but they are a great foil for fries. Of course, the ketchup goes on a dish and the fries dipped, one by one. I can't abide by ketchup smothered fries.

Fried dipped in Bernaise is pretty spectacular as well.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Hellmann's mayo, or good brown gravy. Or ranch dressing. Or sausage gravy (the white kind that goes over biscuits [drool]). Ah, rats, now I'm hungry and it's not even lunchtime yet! :raz:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Ketchup... check

Malt vinegar... check( especially when accompanied by the fish)

The flavored mayo's... check (a personal favorite, mayo with a little soy... ah!)

Any other sauce that happens to be on the plate... check

Liberal squeezed lemon, dip in tartar sauce... check (great with the fried shrimp)

Sriracha... check

Ummm... I am finding it difficult to think of something I don't like.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

- first, the fries must be heavy on the black pepper (salted, too, of course)

- ketchup

- tartar sauce

- garlic aioli

- dip one by one

- never tried malt vinegar, will add it to my list of eGullet recs of things to try

Edited by patti (log)

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

However, if you must sniff at this great American gift to the culinary world -- and in calling French fries "frites" in public --  I suggest serving them on the side of any dish calling for a Sauce Bernaise or a mango buerre blanc and dipping them in those sauce.  Ask for extra.

Bernaise all the way. I used to frequent a place in Washington DC (it is now gone, :sad: ) where I could get Eggs Benedict with french fries 24/7. Heavenly.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

First choice: "frites met"! That is, "frites with". This is the way one orders frites with mayonnaise in Holland (where mayo is otherwise simply known as "frites saus" -- "frites sauce").

Second choice: "frites met pindakaas". "Frites with peanut-cheese" (i.e. peanut butter). Another popular Dutch choice. This sauce is actually a bit thinner than regular peanut butter. NB: This is not a sweet sauce!

Third choice: malt vinegar or mustard.

No ketchup. I hate ketchup! :angry:

People who sneer are inherintly suspect. There are few things better than hot crinkle cut French fries topped with ketchup and copious quantities of salt --preferably served after midnight -- at a drive in, diner or the snack bar of a bowling alley.

However, if you must sniff at this great American gift to the culinary world -- and in calling French fries "frites" in public -- I suggest serving them on the side of any dish calling for a Sauce Bernaise or a mango buerre blanc and dipping them in those sauce. Ask for extra.

My hero! :wub::wub::wub:

Good mustard (none of that poison-yellow stuff!) on the side is my usual condiment of choice. HP Sauce is nice once in a while, too.

However, the best thing I've ever had on frites is the truffled aioli :wub: they serve with the frites at Restaurant Villegas.

Catsup is the Condiment of Evil. I don't even let it in the house.

(Why else would it be the color of Satan? Oh, they try to camouflage it by making it in green and purple, but I know the truth!)

Charlie

Walled Lake, Michigan

Sometimes I do shoestrings with marinara and parmesan. Or with parmesan and blue cheese.

My faves of all time though are the Steak Fries at Acacia: thick, skin-on, caramelized brown, salt, pepper, a teeny bit of parmesan and truffle oil. Gods!

Worcestershire sauce, sometimes, mixed with mayo.

And I happen to like ketchup, but I usually tinker with it. What can I say? I'm an American. Lots of us like ketchup. *shrugs*

"My tongue is smiling." - Abigail Trillin

Ruth Shulman

First choice: "frites met"! That is, "frites with". This is the way one orders frites with mayonnaise in Holland (where mayo is otherwise simply known as "frites saus" -- "frites sauce").

Second choice: "frites met pindakaas". "Frites with peanut-cheese" (i.e. peanut butter). Another popular Dutch choice. This sauce is actually a bit thinner than regular peanut butter. NB: This is not a sweet sauce!

another Dutch favorite is 'patatje oorlog'( 'war frites'), frites with both mayo and the peanutsauce you mentioned, sometimes topped with raw onions.

personally I think that's a pretty horrible combination.

1. Parsley and garlic (fresh)

2. aioli

3. Ketchup. You don't have to have it, I'm happy to eat yours :raz:

4. *cringing in shame* McDonald's hot mustard sauce. oh. my. god. :wub:

5. a vinegary, peppery bbq sauce.

I only like to dip 'em, though, except in the case of #1.

oh and

6. Those really cold, thick chocolate milkshakes. Try it with HOT, crispy, salty fries (McDonald's are ideal for this) before you scoff.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous