• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

rainy days, cold and wet through and through

Radio7

:

Its tapered off this afternoon. I just got home and am contemplating making a run to the local chinese for a seafood noodle soup. Though I'm in a miso soup mood, there are no good japanese places around here. :angry:

Miso soup isn't that hard to make...... :blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

No, it isn't hard to make at all, and miso keeps FOREVER in the fridge. It is SUPER EASY to make if you can find individual packets...just add water. You can add whatever other ingredients you like...

But yeah...easy-peasy.

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

It's not too cold here yet, but I just made three sisters soup, which is a newish favorite - beans, squash, corn - but with Italian seasonings (oregano, garlic, etc) and tons of red pepper flakes. Very warming, comforting, spicy. And cheese cornbread, of course! But Ritz crackers or saltines will do if there is no cornbread to be had.

My very favorite and most comforting option: lentil-barley stew, with carrots and celery and onions and tomatos. And homemade honey wheat bread. My uncle and aunt (who lived downstairs from us when I was growing up) used to make a huge pot of this in the winter and invite us to dinner at least once a month.

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

BUT-- it comes in second to New England Corn Chowder. I'll pass on the crackers and simply have another bowl of the chowder.  It is also the soup I make when we are in a blizzard.

I had completely forgotten corn chowder existed. With bacon, onion, potatoes & milk, right? I grew up eating it all the time, usually with steaming cornbread to go with. :wub:

I love lentil with andouille, split pea, and homemade vegetable. No crackers - fresh hot buttermilk biscuits.

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Sorry to go off-topic, but it seems to me this thread should be merged with the 'Dealbreakers--' thread for it seems quite telling, these soups, and quite wonderful too. I am sure that every single (in every sense of the word) person could find someone they could adore simply from these posts. :wink:

For rainy days nothing beats a simple grilled cheese on white bread with accompanying cream of tomato soup. I know, I know, but sometimes you just need to have it.

A really good New England Clam Chowder with Oyster Crackers is also one of my favorites.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

my home made 15 bean soup (yes, i use a ham hock!) with billy bread instead of crackers. a close 2nd is oyster stew with oyster crackers.

Mine is only 12 bean soup, but I use a ham hock, too. Divine. No crackers for this soup, but cornbread really hits the spot. BTW, what's billy bread?

My homemade vegetable beef soup is another favorite, perfect for a cold and rainy day. Saltines will do just fine, thank you very much.

Edited by patti (log)

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Good god I'm boring. My fave soup to have with crumbled crackers is tomato with a lot of black pepper. Gotta eat it right away, though. Mustn't be TOO soggy.

Hey! Not boring at all! Tomato, crumbled crackers and LOTS of pepper is the best for me when I can't have homemade. I like to have mine in a big mug, so I can hold it close to my mouth, inhale the steam and eat at the same time. :wub:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Canned Campebell's cream of tomato soup spiced up with some garlic and chili powder and crushed Ritz crackers. A lot of crushed Ritz crackers.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Torakris - I know miso is easy, but i've been a lazy bastard in this weather, and food is more comforting when someone else makes it.

:rolleyes:

of course it is! :biggrin:

Glad to see so many tomato soup lovers!!

I am going to pull a can out for lunch with my left over focaccia....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

A really good New England Clam Chowder with Oyster Crackers is also one of my favorites.

Is this the season for oysters? I love homemade oyster stew -- enriched with cream, buttery broth brimming with plump, succulent oysters, with the requisite oyster crackers.

Another rainy day favorite of mine is bihun ayam kuah, steaming hot bowls of rice noodles in chicken broth flavored with ginger and garlic with chunks of chicken, scallions, fried shallots and a few birdseye chillies, some srirachan and krupuk udang /shrimp crackers. Does the trick for me when I'm sick in bed, too!

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti