• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Confidential TV Show on FOX

PDC

Yeah, you're right. I shouldn't read this stuff before having my coffee in the morning. The guy who played "Ed" as Bourdain is just too much of a stretch, even for FOX.

That's nothing - when i first read your post about "Ed" i initially, mistakenly thought somehow that Ed O'Neill (Al from "Married with Children") was gonna be playing Bourdain.

What you said about coffee.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Yeah, you're right. I shouldn't read this stuff before having my coffee in the morning. The guy who played "Ed" as Bourdain is just too much of a stretch, even for FOX.

That's nothing - when i first read your post about "Ed" i initially, mistakenly thought somehow that Ed O'Neill (Al from "Married with Children") was gonna be playing Bourdain.

What you said about coffee.

Actually, Ed O'neill could probably play Bourdain quite well.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 4 weeks later...

Nope. Not Ed. "Will" from "Alias"

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/...%7c1%7c,00.html

I like the actor, but he's not hard core enough to play a believable Bourdain.

http://www.bradley-cooper.com/

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Hell, I'm drinking Guiness and eatig Steak and Ale pie in Dublin. This all came as news to me. Still processing it.

I hope you avoided the baliff if you were there for St. Paddy's . I was in Boston, which was safer and has colder beer, coaching my brother in the art of cornbeef and cabbage. cheers! (went there too, very corny, but I was thirsty.)

Nope. Not Ed. "Will" from "Alias"

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/...%7c1%7c,00.html

I like the actor, but he's not hard core enough to play a believable Bourdain.

http://www.bradley-cooper.com/

Given that this is supposed to be the network TV version of Bourdain (aka "Jack") and not the Cable TV version, it might not be an issue.

Actually, once again, I'm thinking that the half-hour format might help. It's easier to be a believable bad boy in a sketch than it is in a detailed painting.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 1 month later...

Looking at the new shows that Fox announced for its fall season, I came across this:

"Kitchen Confidential" is a comedy about a once-hot cook stuck slinging pasta at a restaurant chain because of his boozing lifestyle. He's given one chance at a job at a top restaurant but has 48 hours to impress 300 people -- including the food critic at The New York Times, a jilted ex.

I was wondering if Bourdain had anything to do with the show. I'd probably be more likely to watch it if he did. But if he did...Fox? Tony, say it ain't so.

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

It would seem that it is from the book, mostly.

And here is our handsome staff. They look better than any krewe I have ever worked with. And they are remarkably clean.

I hope that it's a good show. There hasn't been a good restaurant show on TV since "Frank's Place" went off of the air.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

including the food critic at The New York Times, a jilted ex.

Like that wouldn't IMMEDIATELY set off huge alarms in the food media as far as conflict of interest goes in real life... Amanda Hesser was roasted after her Spice Market review for allegedly having a friendship with JGV and because he had a blurb on her book jacket... Can you imagine if she was an ex girlfriend or an ex-wife?

It would seem that it is from the book, mostly.

And here is our handsome staff. They look better than any krewe I have ever worked with. And they are remarkably clean.

I hope that it's a good show. There hasn't been a good restaurant show on TV since "Frank's Place" went off of the air.

The woman to the right doing the "ass and titty, hand on hip, S pose" was on some reality show. No? :unsure:

No Central or South American staff in the kitchen?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

No Central or South American staff in the kitchen?

Yeah, where's the Mexican sous chef?

:rolleyes:

Can't help but notice that the tattooed, brilliantly skilled, overwhelmingly profane, Hispanic crew of KC seems to be elsewhere for this series.

:raz:

Edited to add: Looks like everybody saw the same thing at the same time!

Edited by Lady T (log)

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Can't help but notice that the tattooed, brilliantly skilled, overwhelmingly profane, Hispanic crew of KC seems to be elsewhere for this series.

I think the show's audience base will be the same as Melrose Place.

Having grown up in LA (allover) that show was a white wash of characters and backdrop.

The cast list is promising, if weird. I'm having trouble with the concept of Frank Langella, as in Dracula and Skeletor, in a sitcom, but hey. I'll definitely watch.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Edited to add:  Looks like everybody saw the same thing at the same time!

But you said it best! :raz:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

The woman to the right doing the "ass and titty, hand on hip, S pose" was on some reality show. No?  :unsure:

Nope. The OC, Friends, and NYPD Blue, but no reality TV.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

The woman to the right doing the "ass and titty, hand on hip, S pose" was on some reality show. No?  :unsure:

Nope. The OC, Friends, and NYPD Blue, but no reality TV.

Hannah,

I hope that you had to look that up and didn't know it off the top of your head. :laugh:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Hannah,

I hope that you had to look that up and didn't know it off the top of your head.  :laugh:

She did look vaguely familiar, but yes, I looked it up. IMDB is a wonderful thing. :laugh:

It's on Fox, I will wait before passing any premature judgement beyond that. God, they all looked too white for any kitchen staffs I have been around in the last 15 years.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

It's on Fox,  I will wait before passing any premature judgement beyond that.  God, they all looked too white for any kitchen staffs I have been around in the last 15 years.

Maybe it's set in a small town in Idaho.

I think the cast for Beverly Hills 90 whatever were mostly from Kansas.

I find the synopsis interesting since that particular section from Kitchen Confidential was not exactly humorous. That said, if this show captures Bourdain's sardonic wit, it could become 'must see'.