• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asian food store in northern NJ?

Pringle

Closer to you is the one in the same shopping center as Binh Duong, the Vietnamese restaurant that Jason mentioned in your other thread...I've never shopped there, but know someone who did on a regular basis when she lived in Bloomfield. Sounds to me like you need to head to BD for dinner and then shop!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

My favorite Asian market is Top Quality on route 46 west in Parsippany. I'm not sure of the exact address - don't know if I've seen it on the builiding. It's a great market - clean and very well stocked. Then there's East West Asian Gourmet Market 67 Belleville Avenue, Bloomfield, NJ

973-748-0030. This is closer to Montclair but not nearly as well stocked and not quite as clean.

I have a listing of some other markets on my site atCat Food under the heading "Where to get the good stuff".

Cheers-

Cat

There is an Asian market on Rt 10 W, East Hanover in the same shopping center that Penang is located.

That's Kam Man Foods, and its one of the better ones in the area.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

In Edgewater there is Mitsuwa(Japanese) and in Ridgefield there is  Han Ah Rheum (Korean)-

These are 2 of the best asian markets in area imho-

Joanne

Han Ah Reum (also in Hackensack and Englewood) and Mitsuwa are the best Asian markets in all of Northern NJ. My second choice to these two would be Kam Man Foods in East Hanover -- although that is only because its not immediately near where I live and I would be visiting it a lot more if I lived in that area. All three of these are very clean and I would have no problems at all buying fish and meats from them.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

My favorite Asian market is Top Quality on route 46 west in Parsippany.  I'm not sure of the exact address - don't know if  I've seen it on the builiding.  It's a great market - clean and very well stocked.  Then there's East West Asian Gourmet Market 67 Belleville Avenue, Bloomfield, NJ

973-748-0030.  This is closer to Montclair but not nearly as well stocked and not quite as clean.

I have a listing of some other markets on my site atCat Food under the heading "Where to get the good stuff". 

Cheers-

Cat

I've never been to Top Quality. East West is an interesting store, its owned by a Chinese and a Filipino -- it carries a lot of Filipino goods. While the dry goods part of the store is fine -- and I frequently buy all kinds of snack foods and stuff from them -- I'm not crazy about the cleanliness aspect of the Fish market.

East West is an interesting store...While the dry goods part of the store is fine -- and I frequently buy all kinds of snack foods and stuff from them -- I'm not crazy about the cleanliness aspect of the Fish market.

Jason--

Is that the one near Binh Duong? If so, that explains the fish smell in the parking lot!! :unsure:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Ditto. I don't like that East West store. I can barely stand to go in there because the whole store smells. I will permit the buying of packaged snacks, but I generally don't eat the store baked goods like empanadas & stuff they have out front stored at room temperature that Jason sometimes buys. Scary.

For sushi quality, I'll agree about Mitsuwa in Edgewater. Their fish is pristine. I like the fish counters at Han Ah Reum (and I've been to the Ridgefield, Little Ferry and Englewood locations), almost everything is out so you can smell the fish and serve yourself, and it is all kept on ice. I've never made sushi from any of their fish though, you'll have to go and judge for yourself.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...39874&hl=ethnic

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...38298&hl=ethnic

Included in this is a link to the Han Ah Reum thread.

I went to Han Ah Reum looking for Thai ingredients and was disappointed.

Top Quality, btw, is Maxim's renamed. The smell is really bad, but the prices are great. Kam man is newer, so it doesn't smell quite so bad, but from the items I priced, everything was more expensive.

they don't carry much in the way of thai. there's a thai grocer in hackensack and one in belleville/bloomfield that will just about every thai ingredient you could want. looks like we covered the Hackensack place (udoms) on one of those linked threads.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...39874&hl=ethnic

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...38298&hl=ethnic

Included in this is a link to the Han Ah Reum thread.

Top Quality, btw, is Maxim's renamed. The smell is really bad, but the prices are great. Kam man is newer, so it doesn't smell quite so bad, but from the items I priced, everything was more expensive.

Ugh. I guess I won't be going to Top Quality then. I hated Maxims for that same reason.

Han ah Reum is primarily for Korean and Japanese goods and for exceptional produce and seafood. For Thai items you have to go to Udom's on main street in Hackensack (a few shops down from Wondee's thai restaurant). There's another Thai grocery called "Terri Lee"

Terri Lee Foods, Inc. Chinese, Thai and Oriental Groceries

225 Maywood Avenue

Maywood, NJ 07607

201-843-7919

Ugh. I guess I won't be going to Top Quality then. I hated Maxims for that same reason.

Han ah Reum is primarily for Korean and Japanese goods and for exceptional produce and seafood. For Thai items you have to go to Udom's on main street in Hackensack (a few shops down from Wondee's thai restaurant). There's another Thai grocery called "Terri Lee"

Terri Lee Foods, Inc. Chinese, Thai and Oriental Groceries

225 Maywood Avenue

Maywood, NJ 07607

201-843-7919

Thanks, I just posted reflections on my Udom/Terri Lee/Han ah Reum road trip on the ethnic grocer thread link above. I seem to get a better selection of Thai ingredients at Top Quality (and Kam Man).

Btw, I don't know if it's a summer thing, but Top Quality's stench has been kicked up a few notches the last few times I've been in there. If Maxim's clocked in at a 5 on the stenchometer, Top Quality is definitely at the 10 mark. It's hard to believe that it could get worse. But it did.

they don't carry much in the way of thai.  there's a thai grocer in hackensack and one in belleville/bloomfield that will just about every thai ingredient you could want.  looks like we covered the Hackensack place (udoms) on one of those linked threads.

Belleville/bloomfield? That hasn't been mentioned before. Can you remember the name?

Belleville/bloomfield? That hasn't been mentioned before.  Can you remember the name?

sure it has. :wink:

i don't know the name, but it's on the southbound side of washington ave. the people who own it went on to open Brookside Thai in Bloomfield, so i get you can give them a call and get the exact address. i think the hackensack place is a bit better, but this place has some good stuff if you're in the area. and there's an excellent indian place not far away on the northbound side of the same street. a most excellent indian grocer indeed.

Kam Man - are they a branch of a place in NYC's Chinatown? That's a familiar name.

Well, just answered my own question via Google - Kam Man was indeed one of the places I used to shop when I lived in NYC.

I wonder if they're becoming a chain, there's one in Quincy MA too.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Not quite on topic, but does anyone know of an Asian store or market where I would be able to purchase some actual wasabi root?

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Not quite on topic, but does anyone know of an Asian store or market where I would be able to purchase some actual wasabi root?

In NJ? Not bloody likely. If you find one, please let me know.

From what I remember, the present Kam Man on Rt 10 in Hanover used to be Maxims and was owned by a couple from Hong Kong. They had another short-lived store in the Brunswick area.

When they divorced, she sold that location in Hanover to Kam Man (who then enlarged and upgraded it) and she ran the Maxims on Rt. 46. Then she sold that off to new owners who changed the name to Top Quality. Where the HongKong lady went next, I don't know.

Top Quality's new owner seemed quite nice and eager to please. I hadn't noticed any deterioration in the store -- nor the smell, the last time I was there. (A couple of weeks ago?) There is, of course, the odor of dried fish and vegetables from their packaged goods, but you get that in Chinatown -- just on the street!

The smells in East West are another kettle of fish! Pun intended. The have the musty packaged goods smell, of course, but even before they went into fish and meat, the place had its own odor. The fish made it worst. When they first opened up, the refrigeration under their vegetables was non-existant. You had to be there when produce arrived to get anything fresh. The first time they had meat and fish was pretty bad. The fish eyes were not clear and the meat --- well, let's say --- I didn't buy any. When they expanded to an extra room, they had refrigeration for their vegetables, but there wasn't the care for them that even the smallest store in C'Town had. There was plenty of ice under the fish and the meat looks fresh, but I have never bought any, altho I see plenty of Asian housewives buying meat & fish. The floor is always wet in that area.

I do get jarred and packaged things at East West, and rarely some dough/noodly things. The Chinese owner, Mr. Ho is very nice, but he should get a clue.

Kam Man is the place I go to most of the time for all my stuff. Not as much fun as Chinatown, but it has everything and they are helpful if you need to ask a question.

If you get the real stuff in a restaurant, just ask them where they get it -- or if you can buy some of theirs. You think??

If you get the real stuff in a restaurant, just ask them where they get it -- or if you can buy some of theirs. You think??

I tried that once, but I guess there was a communication barrier. They smiled at me politely, and gave me an extra take out cup of wasabi paste.

I made inquiries at Kam Man in East Hanover, but had no luck.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)