• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Garum vs Asian fish sauce

gfweb

Brought mine back from Sicily. Quite a bit more expensive than any typical Asian fish sauce brand (price-volume). Almost can't tell the difference in taste when tasting it side by side expensive Vietnamese fish sauce from Phu Quoc island*. Both are good, a refined delight.

aaWBnWP.jpg

MKATH8t.jpg

-------------OFF TOPIC BELOW-----------

(*Phu Quoc: I stayed there for a week. Only had electricity a couple of hours a day. Spartan room at a beach guesthouse, no news(papers), no other tourists on the beach/nearby except for Scottish pensioner Mitch who lived on a boat in Nottingham, who overwintered in India and also Vietnam that year. We ate together every evening, at the only place behind the guesthouses on the beach, literally an open shack with a palm leaf roof. We talked about everything in the universe. The island and encounter with pensioner Mitch left a lasting impression. I hope when I'm his age I would still be able to travel, have my health, have his perspective on life, kindness and an open mind.

The day we returned to Vietnam mainland we heard about the tsunami (!). We were at the beach every day on Phu Quoc! Well, I only buy fish sauce from Phu Quoc ever since. To me it tastes better than all the others.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2023 at 6:10 AM, BonVivant said:

Brought mine back from Sicily. Quite a bit more expensive than any typical Asian fish sauce brand (price-volume). Almost can't tell the difference in taste when tasting it side by side expensive Vietnamese fish sauce from Phu Quoc island*. Both are good, a refined delight.

aaWBnWP.jpg

MKATH8t.jpg

-------------OFF TOPIC BELOW-----------

(*Phu Quoc: I stayed there for a week. Only had electricity a couple of hours a day. Spartan room at a beach guesthouse, no news(papers), no other tourists on the beach/nearby except for Scottish pensioner Mitch who lived on a boat in Nottingham, who overwintered in India and also Vietnam that year. We ate together every evening, at the only place behind the guesthouses on the beach, literally an open shack with a palm leaf roof. We talked about everything in the universe. The island and encounter with pensioner Mitch left a lasting impression. I hope when I'm his age I would still be able to travel, have my health, have his perspective on life, kindness and an open mind.

The day we returned to Vietnam mainland we heard about the tsunami (!). We were at the beach every day on Phu Quoc! Well, I only buy fish sauce from Phu Quoc ever since. To me it tastes better than all the others.

It looks yummy. 

Edit: I tried it and it is actually very tasty.

Edited by ColinDunklin (log)