• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Goan Fish Curry

I'm attempting to recreate something not a million miles from the Goan Fish Curry I'd enjoyed on Palolem Beach years ago.

The curry used small whole clean fish (approx. 2" to 3"), boned and cooked in the sauce.

Is anybody able to recommend a supplier of a suitable fish (i.e. for taste, texture, size, freshness and arrives clean) within London?

If so, any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• 4 months later...

I despair of the fish trade.

Boxes of sea bream that we used to buy from the wet fish stall at Chelmsford for about £20 were over £60 last Saturday, needless to say we passed.

I wanted to buy some thick cod cutlets to recreate a very basic dish my mother used to make for us as kids (fish in grass gravy). I’m told that I will need to buy a whole cod that is big enough to take off cutlets as opposed to mere fillets. I have to order well in advance and they won’t give me a price, either for the whole fish or per kg.

We bought a whole salmon in our local Morrisons last week. Cost was £29, whereas it was £10 to 15 a relatively short time ago. Then the boy on the fish counter said he couldn’t joint/fillet it for me as he had never done it before. Never mind , I can do that myself.

On the plus side, a local butcher is selling whole wild rabbit for £6. The last frozen one I bought was £12 and upon defrosting found it was only half a rabbit.

On 2/7/2024 at 1:28 PM, CulinaryExplorer said:

Goan Fish Curry

I'm attempting to recreate something not a million miles from the Goan Fish Curry I'd enjoyed on Palolem Beach years ago.

The curry used small whole clean fish (approx. 2" to 3"), boned and cooked in the sauce.

Is anybody able to recommend a supplier of a suitable fish (i.e. for taste, texture, size, freshness and arrives clean) within London?

If so, any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks!

You may want to try the wholesalers at billingsgate fish market to see if anyone has a delivery round near to your address.

45 minutes ago, Tempest63 said:

I have to order well in advance and they won’t give me a price, either for the whole fish or per kg.

That's normal. Fishing is a highly unpredictable food supply - always has been. Weather at sea is volatile (especially now); catches are often a matter of chance.  That (and other factors) have their effect on prices.

Ain't gonna change.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto