• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I have 76 eggs!

torakris

floating island (ile flottante) is really good also... :smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Boil them and serve to 76 trombone players after the big parade.

Brilliant! When I saw the title of this thread I was trying to think of a way to work that in to a response. :laugh:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I made a chocolate cake (not a very good recipe, unfortunately...) and I hard boiled 20 of them to make pickles but my daughters had a bunch of friends in the house at te time and I lost 10 of them to an afternoon snack...

Then we ended up going out last night to eat yakiniku.

Helen, I have a sports day tomorrow as well! you can be sure a Japanese omelette will be part of the bento!

I need to go boil more because i really want to try these pickles!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

>>Pasta? <<

Yeah, I idly considered making Hungarian egg barley.

I got through most of my cracked eggs - saved some for tomorrow's omelet, made a chocolate cake for son's friend (couldn't find my recipe, which involves boiling water poured over cocoa to make a very dark cake), found a goodie which uses a similar technique in eGullet's own chocolate cake thread. For some reason, most Japanese people like chocolate cake (maybe disguises that butter taste?!).

Of course, this happened the day *after* I spent a couple of hours packing up my cake tins and putting them on top of a high sideboard because I rarely bake these days. ..

I have a friend that raises chickens. Recently she gave me about that many eggs. I made a bunch of pound cakes (6 eggs each) and froze them.

Made a Spanish egg & potato tortilla, which we ate for dinner, and some quiches, which we also froze.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

>>Pasta? <<

Funny you mention that; I was thinking on a similar wavelength: spatzle

(They keep in the fridge for a few days; also freeze very well)

Cool thing about egg barley though is that they don't need to be refrigerated or frozen... :smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Make a Portuguese cake or dessert? Plenty of more-than-10-egg recipes around.

Toucinho do Ceu

650g sugar

16 egg yolks

11 egg whites

pinch ground cloves

1 tsp cinnamon

500g ground almonds

4 tbsp flour

Beat eggs and and spices until light and airy, add almonds and flour and mix very well. Bake in a medium oven in a well buttered and floured tin. Cut into slices when cold and dip the slices in a light sugar syrup and then sugar and cinnamon.

Chloe

North Portugal

Do you have a recipe for this. I have to say I have never heard about this.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

Try this Puerto Rican coconut curd. It is delicious and uses up yolks. It is made in other Latin-American countries as well. Notice the Arab influence present in our cooking--the lime peel and the cinnamon.

Bien Me Sabe (Tastes good to me)

2 cups coconut milk (or full fat kind, can be canned)

1 1/3 cups sugar

6 egg yolks

a 2-inch piece lime (or lemon) peel

1 stick cinnamon

In a saucepan cook the coconut milk, sugar, lime peel and cinnamon until it boils. After it boils, lower the heat and cook for 10 minutes, or until a candy thermometer registers 220 deg F.

Remove the syrup from the heat and cool for 1 hour. Add the beaten egg yolks to the syrup and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it boils again. Remove from heat, strain and store in the refrigerator. I can't tell you how long it lasts, but it keeps a lot longer than lemon curd.

Serve as a sauce over pound cake or other similar cake and/or ice cream.

Edited to clarify: It's not really a curd. It's a thick, unbelievably delicious, sauce. sauce

Edited by achevres (log)

When I have extra eggs on hand, my thoughts immediately turn to deviled eggs. Within thirty minutes, the eggs are boiled and the yolks and other ingredients mixed and the whites filled. Endless variety is available by varying the ingredients. Some view deviled and stuffed eggs differently, and technically they are correct. Just the same, I collectively view them as all being variations on the same basic recipe. My last batch was simply to boil six eggs and mix three tablespoons of honey mustard dressing with the yolks. I usually sprinkle the finished eggs with paprika, but that is a matter of choice.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! The last time I cooked that many hard-boiled eggs was for a seder meal at our church. We did it during Holy Week to try to recreate a seder...since most of us knew nothing about

Jewish customs. My job on "the committee" was to cook the 8 dozen hardboiled eggs needed.

I like the idea someone mentioned of making up a variety of quiches to freeze. How well do they freeze? lkm

I make pickled eggs when I take the last pickle out of the jar. I hard-boil eggs and put them in. It takes about 4 days for the pickling liquid to take effect.

Somebody posted a recipe for eggs mollet a while back. I've been taking some in to work for a late breakfast every day. They reheat well as a part of a plate of food.

I don't like them, but my husband and a couple guys where he works like pickled eggs. When I make up a big batch (usually a gallon of beets) of pickled beets, I make up enough extra pickling liquid for the 1 or 2 dozen eggs that I send with him to work. The eggs are gone in a couple days. They are kind of pretty...a deep red. Have you seen the pale pink ones at some groceries? Anemic looking. lkm