• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I have 76 eggs!

torakris

There were 80, but I used two yesterday and two this morning....

I had bought 20 LL eggs at Costco this week and then last night my MIL comes over with a monster pack of 60 M size eggs and asks me to make some cookies.... :blink:

I can only eat so many fritattas... help! what else can I make that uses large quantities of eggs.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I believe egg whites can be frozen...not sure about the yolks.

You can make:

Deviled Eggs

Puddings/Custards

Casseroles

Ice Cream

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Also:

meringues (perhaps some Lost Cookies?)

angelfood Cake

lemon (or other citrus) curd

rolled omelette

chawan Mushi

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

http://www.aeb.org/eggcyclopedia/freezing-eggs.html

My elder boy is getting to the age when I need to keep hard-boiled eggs in the fridge all the time...but for small kids, there's always the risk of arousing a dormant tendency to allergy if you suddenly bombard them with one foodstuff!

Hard-boiled eggs actually make a nice bento or snack if you cut them in half, and dip the cut side in a mixture of red pepper, seasonings, sesame seeds or ground sesame, flour...and then fry them to seal the "crust", cut side down of course. Stops the yolk coming out, too.

Didn't somebody post a nice egg and potato curry a few days back on our "other" meeting place?? She mentioned slitting the hardboiled egg here and there and rubbing spices in before simmering in the curry. Sounds much better than the usual egg curry.

I actually like gratined hard-boiled eggs, but maybe that's deviant.

A big cheescake; depending on the recipe this could use 10-12 eggs in one fell swoop...

How about pickled eggs? These would last a lot longer and would be good over salads or noodles...

crepes can be made and then frozen for storage...

also; I'd make some sponge cake to store in the freezer for some easy desserts later.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

You could use up a dozen quickly by separating, freezing the whites (in ice cube trays to keep them individual) then making zabaione with the yolks.

If you substituted a slightly-watered down fruit-flavored syrup (not sure whether you have Japanese fruit syrups? but the Italian ones would do) rather than using Marsala, the children would probably like this too...

Make a variety of quiches and then freeze them for quick dinners when you don't feel like cooking in the future.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

A rich bread pudding uses plenty of eggs.

The following is my original recipe

I bake this in a loaf pan so it can be cooled, then sliced and grilled on a griddle to make a mock French toast. You can also bake it in a Bundt cake pan. You need one that holds a lot.

Extra Rich Bread Pudding

8 extra large eggs

3 cups milk

1 cup cream (or half & half)

2/3 cup sugar (or Splenda to cut calories, it works just fine)

2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract.

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

3/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

4 to 5 cups rough bread cubes

(Tear day old bread into pieces about 1 to 1 1/2 inch cubes.)

Spray a large loaf pan with canola oil (or Pam) (can also use a Bundt pan)

Combine eggs, milk and cream, sugar, vanilla, salt and spices in a large bowl.

Beat until eggs are completely blended.

Add the bread cubes and press down into the egg mixture with a spatula. Cover and set aside for about 20 to 30 minutes until the bread has soaked up most of the egg mixture.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Pour the mixture into the loaf pan to within 1/2 inch of the top.

Set the loaf pain into a baking pan and place in the oven.

Pour boiling water into the pan till it is about 1 to 1 1/2 inches deep.

Bake for one hour.

Test by inserting a thin knife blade into the pudding near the center.

If it comes out wet continue baking for an additional 10 minutes. Test again until knife blade comes out clean.

(It will take longer to bake in humid weather.)

Remove from oven and immediately brush top with melted butter.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Do you like baked eggs?

This was a childhood favorite of mine. I don't do precise recipes very well but what I do now for individual servings: take a buttered ovenproof bowl, toss in some sliced or chopped onions, green peppers, tomatoes, diced cheese and crack open an egg into the bowl. Season with salt & pepper, pour some milk or cream over, top with a generous slab of butter and sprinkle paprika over all. Bake until all is set and egg is cooked to your desired degree of firmness. I like it with the whites all cooked and firm, and the yolk just slightly runny.

Good with a crisp, green salad and some good crusty bread.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

wow! thanks!

I can't believe I didn't think of some of this myself......

I am going to boil up at least 20 of them this afternoon, a fritatta later tonight, a souffle tomorrow and various desserts thrown in between! I have wanting to make this meringue cake-y thing for a while now but always thought it was a "waste" of eggs.....

How would you pickle eggs western style? I have done the soy sauce ones before, but never a vinegar style.

this is so weird.  all day today i was considering starting this topic, but i figured it would be ignored.  i'll be watching it closely.

Wow!

do you have 76 eggs too!? :raz:

How would you pickle eggs western style? I have done the soy sauce ones before, but never a vinegar style.

Here's a basic recipe for six eggs:

1 1/2 cups white vinegar

1 tsp mixed pickling spices

1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed

1 bay leaf

6 hard-cooked eggs; peeled

Simmer the spices and vinegar together for ~ 15 min. Take off heat, let cool a little and add in garlic and bay leaf. Pack eggs into screw top canning jar, add vinegar mix, cover and cool to room temp. Refrigerate for 7-10 days; longer to develop a stronger flavor.

In the States you can buy spice mixes called "pickling mix". The link gives an idea of what you could put into a homemade mix.

pickling spice mix

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

50 large eggs

10 gallons salted water, room temperature.

Add eggs to water, turn on heat.

When water comes to boil, turn off heat and cover. Let sit 15 mintues.

Plunge eggs into ice bath. Peel.

Eat withing 1 hour.

Don't vomit.

Sometimes called the Cool Hand Luke Egg Salad

f6ff3ae7.jpg

pickled egg recipes

I don't have the British cookbook I originally used...you could try asking on the UK forum?

I remember that I used sometimes to add a jar of pickled onions to the pickled eggs - the basis is the same sort of spiced vinegar mix.

Here is a recipe for Red Beet Eggs, which you could try with canned beets or red cabbage. Original recipe is from the out-of-print Time-Life Foods of the World series, "American Cooking: The Eastern Heartland" - the small spiralbound recipe book that went with the bigger coffeetable books. Had I realized what treasures these books were, I would have picked up more at the second hand bokshop I found this one at. Haven't tried this recipe, but many other recipes from this book are regulars on our table.

3 c water - cook peeled beets in this till tender, remove beets and retain liquid.

Add 1 c sugar and 1/2 white vinegar to the beet liquid, stir to dissolve, return beets and cook a few minutes more. Now if you've used canned beets, start from here....

Set beets aside, add 6 hard-boiled, peeled, cooled eggs to the beet juice, turn to coat, put in jar, place beets on top of eggs, cover tightly, cool, and marinate in fridge for 12 hours or more before serving.

Another favorite that I'd almost forgotten -- Chinese salt-pickled eggs. Place raw eggs (in the shell, of course) into a cool brine, and pickle for up to a fortnight (This makes them very salty, and also makes the white go a funny but not unpleasant texture - but from hazy memory, they do need about a week minimum in the brine). Then hardboil the eggs as usual, serve quartered as a beer snack. Maybe somebody on the Chinese forum can be more helpful?

Found a recipe googling for salted eggs (nothing like obsession...) The recipe for 12 duck eggs (the larger the egg, the more evenly they pickle) cited 1.5c rock salt for 4c water to make a brine that is poured cool over the eggs. They say 3 weeks, I think 2 is enough for hens' eggs.

Used to make these often, learned them from the Chinese grocery I worked at when I was a student.

Unbelievable! I nipped downstairs thinking that I would pickle a few eggs ready for tired people (=me) coming home from School Sports Day on Saturday, unwilling to cook, but very willing to eat...

...and was greeted by two packs of frozen-solid eggs, burst in their shells :sad:

I'm planning to make an Australian and New Zealand favorite dessert, Lemon Delicious Pudding - add more or less milk, depending on how quivery you want the pudding in its lemon sauce to be...here's a fairly small recipe, from a well known TV cook

Allyson Gofton Lemon Delicious recipe

Meanwhile, I'll be heading back up thread for ideas to use beaten egg...